JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thanks for the add. Just curious, anybody else concerned with the rising costs of gun club memberships, just to use shooting ranges and the losing of public places to shoot? Being on a very limited income, well over 70 years old, and the increasing cost and availability of common calibers of ammunition, it seems like some (many?) of us are being forced out of the hobby. Or am I just being a "grouchy old man" ?

or

Not yet. However not on a fixed income. Plus our club is relatively inexpensive. Less than $100 annually & stable at that price since we moved here ~5 years ago. An indoor club in town is similar pricing, with 24/7 member access. Had been considering joining that also, as our regular club is outdoors with no shooting after sunset.

Did have my hours cut yesterday by 10%, so that irked me for a minute.

Then realized we hadn't had much time lately, so am laughing about such now...

I have 'modified' my shooting sport/hobby to shooting less frequently initially due lack of components.

Secondly, my lifestyle, due to a major change which left me with less personal time, (my choice) but I plan to 'work' in a little more shooting time in the future.

I shoot only in the NF, and that being only minutes from home, so essentially no range costs, only minimal gas to the woods.

I have spent some good money the last couple of years on firearms. I have been into single shot rifles such as Ruger #1's A browning highwall and those cheap but addictive Handi Rifles. I know that the day I stop punching the timecard my days of buying guns are over. Even common brass such as 270, 280 etc... are over a dollar new. To load 50 rounds of 280 remington - 56$ for the new brass. 25$ for the powder, 5$ for primers and bullets between 15 - 60$ for bullets so say 20$ for 50 bullets. Total cost for first loading of 50 rounds is around 100$ - of course the biggest cost is the brass and you can reuse it but even without the cost of the brass your still looking at over a dollar a round. This of course doesnt cover a lot of the costs, range fees, gas and vehicle and the firearm. Everything adds up Yes it is expsensive and I can afford it today butr when I retire I will need to reevaluate the costs.

Thanks for the add. Just curious, anybody else concerned with the rising costs of gun club memberships, just to use shooting ranges and the losing of public places to shoot? Being on a very limited income, well over 70 years old, and the increasing cost and availability of common calibers of ammunition, it seems like some (many?) of us are being forced out of the hobby. Or am I just being a "grouchy old man" ?

or
Maybe mix in more 22 shooting? So many variants of .22 out there including clones of pretty much anything imaginable (Fe uzi, mp5, Gatling gun even :p ).

Other thing I can think of is shoot guns that cause you to slow down, like single action revolvers or whatever. Or combine both and get heritage single action .22 for $95-$245 new.

.22 ammo can be found for 5-6 cents per round right now.

Last Edited:

or
Yes it has progressively gotten more expensive just like everything else. I'm also on a fixed income ie; retired and disabled following a cancer battle.

I was able to find an indoor range that was only $75.00 year near my house. But all of the much larger ranges with more options for distance or specialty shooting are out of my price range. Luckily I have some very good range habits and training from my previous jobs which helps me knock the rust off quickly when I can shoot.

Yes it has progressively gotten more expensive just like everything else. I'm also on a fixed income ie; retired and disabled following a cancer battle.

I was able to find an indoor range that was only $75.00 year near my house. But all of the much larger ranges with more options for distance or specialty shooting are out of my price range. Luckily I have some very good range habits and training from my previous jobs which helps me knock the rust off quickly when I can shoot.
I'm in the same boat, a disableing job injury when I was 45 meant very little in Soc. Sec. and now at 75 plus, a lot of things just aren't possible (ever try to buy 2 eggs and 4 slices of bread from your local supermarket ? LOL) I'm doubting things will improve much, but just staying the same for a while would help. Foolish as I may be, I will NEVER give up the last gun I have left!!

Maybe mix in more 22 shooting? So many variants of .22 out there including clones of pretty much anything imaginable (Fe uzi, mp5, Gatling gun even :p ).

Other thing I can think of is shoot guns that cause you to slow down, like single action revolvers or whatever. Or combine both and get heritage single action .22 for $95-$245 new.

100% I went from standard capacity rifle mags and iron sights to using 5-10 round mags and adding scopes to most of my rifles.
The fast shooting is fun, but it burns through ammo.. I've slowed way down and I actually enjoy that type of shooting a lot more, certainly allows me to dial in my accuracy. Same goes for pistols. I'll load about 5 rounds in each mag and I get twice the mag changes and manipulation drills in despite the lack of capacity. I started doing all that after the second ammo panic and it's actually not only saved a lot but increased my accuracy.

Yeah it's not great out here currently. Feel bad for the younger guys getting in seems jobs are paying peanuts and hobbies are getting more expensive due to greed. I make a decent wage by WA standards and I find myself shooting less than I used to before.

I have never got the enjoyment out of my semi auto rifles as I do my fudd hunting rifles. For everytime I take one of my ARs out I take a hunting rifle out.

Agreed, there are a lot of fun choices for 22lr. In fact, I'm shooting more now than ever. Sold off some older guns and ammo from my collection and updated to some modern 22lr rifles and pistols. For example, I'm shooting my ARs a lot after adding a 22lr upper and a Conversion 22lr kit. A lot of modern upgrades too, like red dot sights, make shooting enjoyable and accurate.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top