JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Excited and sad at the same time.

Was able to get most of the necessary equipment but it looks like I'll have to wait till the hype dies down a bit before I will be able to get primer, powders, bullets.

Thanks so much thus far on your answers to my questions. I know I have a long ways to go....but I am trying to learn as much as I can.

Can't wait to load my first rounds....

Powder and primers are the hard ones. I still see lots of bullets in stock at Bi-Mart.

Unfortunately, ordering primer/powders online at inflated prices has another fee - the ORM-D hazmat shipment fee.

Congrats, it will become an addiction. For primers, most of the online sellers you can sign up for email notifications when something comes in stock....get on those lists. I just got 5k each of small rifle and small pistol primers from Natchez Shooter Supply tonight for under $20 per 1000....unfortunately they are sold out now ��

Fly where did you order from??? Ahhh the advantages of living in a small town primers and powder in stock.. But haven't ordered my reloading stuff. Not jackin the thread but anyone know the best place to pick up a 550b?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Excited and sad at the same time.

Was able to get most of the necessary equipment but it looks like I'll have to wait till the hype dies down a bit before I will be able to get primer, powders, bullets.

Thanks so much thus far on your answers to my questions. I know I have a long ways to go....but I am trying to learn as much as I can.

Can't wait to load my first rounds....

I recommend getting a variety of reloading manuals, & READ READ READ! Congratulations, & good luck on your new hobby. Remember, you will make mistakes, & you may run into problems that get you frustrated, There are allot of people here that are more than eager to help! Don't be afraid to ask questions!

After a bunch of research and reading this forum, I decided to go wtih the RCBS Turret press. Starting out I din't want to make a possible and/or fatal mistake and the progrssive machines just didn't seem to match up with my needs.

I ordered my stuff from Midway yesterday morning. Out of what I wanted I was able to get approx. 70% of the stuff, the remainder is on back order. Notified this morning the "what was in stock" has shipped as of this morning....less than 24 hrs.

I do have dies for 9mm and .40 and have .223 and .308 dies on backorder.

Like most of you have said....keep an eye open for primer/powder, it's hard to come by. I was able to pick up some powder for my .308 last night at Fishermans Marine but no primers or any kind.

This weekend I'm going to get in and build my loading table, so when my equipment shows up I can mount everything.

Based on current conditions it may take me several months before I actually get to do my first loads.

Thanks again guys for all your help/suggestions....nice to learn from other experts.

Don't let the current shortage of components discourage you. I have to think the supply will eventually catch up to the demand and prices will return to normal.......or I will be finding a new hobby too!!!

After a bunch of research and reading this forum, I decided to go wtih the RCBS Turret press. Starting out I din't want to make a possible and/or fatal mistake and the progrssive machines just didn't seem to match up with my needs.

I ordered my stuff from Midway yesterday morning. Out of what I wanted I was able to get approx. 70% of the stuff, the remainder is on back order. Notified this morning the "what was in stock" has shipped as of this morning....less than 24 hrs.

I do have dies for 9mm and .40 and have .223 and .308 dies on backorder.

Like most of you have said....keep an eye open for primer/powder, it's hard to come by. I was able to pick up some powder for my .308 last night at Fishermans Marine but no primers or any kind.

This weekend I'm going to get in and build my loading table, so when my equipment shows up I can mount everything.

Based on current conditions it may take me several months before I actually get to do my first loads.

Thanks again guys for all your help/suggestions....nice to learn from other experts.

Other than components, What are you lacking?

Other than components?

A .223 die set and some imperial case wax.

I was able to get some powder, primers and bullets for the .308 and was able to order some powder for 9mm/.40.....but NO primers.

Looks like I won't be loading hand loads for quite some time.

Fear not folks. Primers will return. One thing for sure, the companies that make them like the money their product brings in. They'll be manufacturing as many as they can using the full capacity of their equipment. It's just going to take time to refill the pipeline that was sucked dry almost overnight------Just like last time.

Expect their return about June or July. Just be prepared to make some adjustments as YOUR favorite brand may not be among the first to arrive. That's not all that bad though, I discovered Fiocchi primers in boxes of 1500 at the end of the last shortage. Not a bad "find".

I was reloading back when Clinton was elected. A lot of you guys probably remember that, as well. Prices shot up, but eventually supply caught up with demand and prices DID come down, just not quite to the same pre-Clinton levels, if my memory is reliable. I expect the same here, as I don't think the anti-everything crowd is going to have a big effect on the ammo side of things. (I hope.)

I was reloading back when Clinton was elected. A lot of you guys probably remember that, as well. Prices shot up, but eventually supply caught up with demand and prices DID come down, just not quite to the same pre-Clinton levels, if my memory is reliable. I expect the same here, as I don't think the anti-everything crowd is going to have a big effect on the ammo side of things. (I hope.)

I started when Jimmie Carter was President. The only reason component prices didn't skyrocket back then is that not as many people were hoarding like today.

Being the proud new owner of Reloading Equipment is a little like being a Newlywed. Only the "bride" does't gain a bunch of weight, get cranky, and complain about how you never have time for her anymore.

However if you drink beer while reloading, your *** can get very wide too. Plus, alcohol and reloading don't mix very well - that's when you will make the worst mistakes.

Congrats on the gear. I'm in B'town too. Give me a shout if you have questions and if your 308 dies are a long lead time, I have a spare set you can borrow to get going.

Congrats! Very few hobbies are better suited for Oregon; I spend a lot of time at my bench in the garage, especially on rainy days and during the winter solstice.

On turret-presses; I found that the most critical time for me is during the powder- drop. It occurs as I am reaching for the bullet in a tray on the bench. I had to buy a bullet-puller and pull 30 or 35 LCs because I didn't see the disk moving back and fourth under the hopper.

The other big enemy to reloading here in Oregon is the moisture; I keep my powder in original containers in an insulated cabinet, and my primers are in the house also in original containers, surrounded by silica gel-bags in a rubber-made tote.

Do you have a bullet-puller? I thought it was one of those "muffler-bearing" jokes the first time I heard the term. It will come in handy.

Don't be shy about asking questions; I leaned heavily on my mentor in Kansas.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top