JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

After reading this would you trust your life to a Sig Sauer product?

• Total voters
Reactions
Ok after years it has come to this....

I have bought many Sig Sauer products and HAD a couple more in mind! Until this...

I do range time with family members. Most of the training is provided by Veterans/LEO family members. Others are welcome. BUT its not your standard range and being private property, and in a very gun friendly state.

The pistol I run is the beloved of our group. People have other guns, but this one stood out as a must have. WAS always reliable.... Sig is legendary right? We all thought so...

I only griped about the slide being hard to relese because this is the first time ever I had a gun that needed such force to move the lever. I am a strong guy and sometimes it was a little tough, at times I had to tap it with my offhand while pressing with my thumb to get it to let go of the slide. Reminder penciled in to buy a GOOD ONE ASAP.

So in the middle of a crazy drill and coordinated movement with the others in the team, suddenly my Sig Scorpion locks up. Lost one of the super spendy Sig mags, and total lock up.

Had this happened because I am a 45 guy I know after the first round discharged (Center Mass hit of course) he would be down and out. And yes I hit CM first shot....

However in this drill going from rifle to pistol and engaging multipal targets, I am left UNARMED!

No getting the slide to let go, No matter how hard I tried or how, the gun was lockedup.
Guess its going to be my weapon... Pistol flies into the second targetonly partially passing through the cardboard and lodging in it. My fixed bladed knife stuck into target 3, and holding my bubblesNgunz for number 4...

Had this happened during a crime, I would be dead. Why I buy Sig is for the Quality. I was still a fan at that point. Frustrated, and only part way through a 2 day event, I an sitting on the sidelines with a gun that was 2-3-4 times what everyone else spent on theirs. While they are still shooting.

At the end of the party and after all the hugs and goodbyes I get my gun to the work bench. After getting the sand out of it (remember it locking up and turning into a flying projectile....) and a rubber mallet I get the slide back to where I can thump it out to take it down... Oh and at this time of inspection I find that the slide is ALL the way back, and the Slide Release isnt even hooked into the slide...

So I get it apart and inspect the SR, nothing overtly amiss. I call Sig.

OGFREAKING Deities! The guy I talk with starts yelling at me. telling me I am an idiot and know nothing of guns, and that he is a gunsmith. Nothing wrong and I know it all... Hang on, call center dude is a gunsmith? Must be a bottomfeeding Bubba GoneWild gunsmith... He refuses to forward the call to a manager.. Claims he is one....

I call back and get a different and very amazing Customer Service Agent, who knows nothing about guns he just deals with warranties. Ships a box and has it repaired and makes sure the customer receives it. He passes me on to the manager.

Manager is nice and definitely says send it in I cant tell anything about it until its in hand. Week wait and I call back, Where is the box/tag? Oh they didnt send it... Grrr...
Week 2 it finally "gets" there".
Week 3 ?....
Week 4 end of the week. Pretty much a full month later I get a call back. Oh your mag release is sticky. (Duh!) We replaced the Slide Release because its a new version and well we would really like you to have both of them. Oh and when we used Sig Vs Wilson Combat mags the Sig ones always malfunctioned, so buy Wilson mags.. (Thoughtfully provided me with the SKU number for them!)

Now I got this new slide releaase.... Picture provided with the old one next to it. 1448502022541_IMG_20151125_173754_657.jpg

I am sorry Sig. I am through with you. Never again! Now funny thing is that day a Hipoint kept going... Glock kept going... After the Horrible and idiotic customer service by the manager and his call center (one cool guy excluded).

I have always thought about how high Sig was in quality. Never again. I would rather buy Hipoint (shudders) than Sig now. Comping from multiple owner of sig 1911's and P220's. Now the entire collection is gone. The family has also become scared to buy Sig. We bought lots of Ruger, and a couple taurus.

I warned the manager that I was totally unhappy about everything about how Sig handled this. I got a "Who cares?" from him. OK! Who cares? Well I am sure that more than just me is going to be effected by this.

I warned quite a few people and we are all through with Sig. We will take our money to a company that values our Biz! Ruger, Taurus, Savage, and many other call centers are amazing in the customer service. I have had care packages with goodies show up jsut to make me think of them. I have had call backs from these companies checking in to make sure everything went well after I got my toys back...

Sig tells me pretty much to throw away the other mag.

So anyone here have the measurement devices to check the Slide Release so I can find out what happened? Since Sig says nothing "happened".

I will never trust my life to another Sig product again.

1448502022541_IMG_20151125_173754_657.jpg

$50 and your Wilson Combat?... Done good sir only if you throw in your daughter....

I am looking for a potential Father in Law with a good shotgun collection...

Ever wonder what the SIG stands for???????

S crap
I Ron
G un

Get a Springfield, I have never been disappointed with the service department.

Get a Springfield, I have never been disappointed with the service department.
I've never needed to call the service dept. for my SIG.

But it is disconcerting to hear of these problems with their service.

I know with SIG that some of their guns are great and some are to be avoided.

Personally, I wouldn't swear off SIG because of one gun, but if I had that kind of service experience I might. :eek:

This is the unfortunate side of consumers. 100K guns and all is good, Don't hear a peep but that 100,001'st one with a bad part and everyone will know....FOREVER!

Does it function fine now that a defective part was replaced? Did it get fixed free of charge? Was shipping free to you?

If that's actually how the phone in customer service went than I agree that's unprofessional and unacceptable.

I'm playing devils advocate here, I don't own one Sig product and I have seen many many other gun failures including some brands you mentioned.

I have never had an issue with any of my Sigs. (EDIT: not 100% true, I broke an extractor on one, my bad, I did it myself and guess what? I called Sig and they shipped me the part for free, even after I told them of my foolishness.) I have put well into 5K rounds in my MK25 , my wife has well over 2k into her Sig 1911. Between the rest of the models I own, they take the lions share of range time next to my carry piece.

That being said, why do people think that a malfunction part represents a unreliable manufacturer?

Show me ONE just ONE industry that makes their product 100% perfect, each time, every time?

To argue that Sig Sauer handguns can not be trusted in total because you had an issue with one? That's silly and short sided.

I had an issue with a Glock a while ago, the locking block pin was crap, straight from the factory. Bad part. I fixed it. Guess what? I still trust my Glock for daily carry.

So just prior to your failure had you field stripped your weapon? Didn't fully seat that slide release and it will ease its way back out and cause said problem ;)

I've seen this failure many many many times....And its not the firearms fault.

Parts do break and fail, I don't care what gun it is!

Its a simple mistake and really easy to overlook.

Last Edited:
Kimbers, Sigs and HKs are just way to expensive for what they are.

If you payed THAT much for a firearm, at the very least their customer service should be nothing BUT stellar.

Their QC has been spottier for a few years, but I think I would still trust my life to a Sig, even though with the exception to their .45's, I shoot other guns more accurately for some reason. The 220s I've owned were both on par with Glock 21's as to how well I could put rounds on target.

I blame the spotty QC issues on Sig's decision a few years ago to start rolling out ten specialty versions of every gun they produce. Of course every time I see a Legion series gun my pants get a bit tighter for some reason, so their marketing works.

And yeah, yours isn't the first, or even one of the few customer service horror stories I've heard about them. Seems their HR department hires any warm body to work the phones - if it's even an in house thing and not outsourced. CommandoRamboJoe gets his "dream job" there answering phones and all of a sudden he's beyond an Internet Gun Expert, he's full on UberNinja Gunsmith Wizard and you get dealings like yours. This happens with all companies it seems. Maybe the same dude gets passed around like a loose girl at a frat party?

So, now the big question is, whatcha gonna replace your Sigs with? Beretta, GLock, Smith, CZ, Walther, Taurus? :D

So just prior to your failure had you field stripped your weapon? Didn't fully seat that slide release and it will ease its way back out and cause said problem ;)

I've seen this failure many many many times....And its not the firearms fault.

Parts do break and fail, I don't care what gun it is!

Its a simple mistake and really easy to overlook.

Everything was cleaned a couple days prior. Pistol was fully functioning for half of the day before the lock up. Had another 1911 guy there that was stunned. SR was fully seated, sticky like usual but other than that Not even hooked on the slide.... Like I said very interesting and I have not heard of a case like this happening before.

I have seen the same issue that you speak of happen after doing left hand drills. This wasnt one of them. Too bad as it would have given me an answer...

I have had many other 1911s and trust them with my life.

When I gotten my Sig, the Slide release was looking like a $3 part on a Ferrari. Finished looked like a drunkard did it. Oh and yes it was original factory part and left the factory looking like that. The new one does not match the rest of the finish and really stands out to me. For a high end gun its looking ghetto bubba gunsmithed it while on crack. Coming from someone that loves honest carry wear. Plans to replace these MIM or whatever potmetal parts and get her running quality parts if thats what Sig is doing these days.

Having the CSR experience was not fun and definitly wanted me to swear them off..

The kicker was when it was shipped back and they "claim" the part switched out was just because they have a new version... Nothing wrong with the first... That refusal to just be honest and tell me that the previous part was potmetal and deformed causing the issue. So far that is my best guess at examining the part myself. From the wear and what I think I feel is distortion to the SR shaft.

For a 1911 that you spent a grand on...... If I was the manager, and have been before, I would have instantly made things right. Every other company has never treated me like this Ever!

Had 5 mags (@$50each) returned as they were defective. Sig took care of it and threw in goodies and made things right... But now they cant admit guilt or do anything to win back my trust.... They valued my biz then and not now? And for them to put in writing that Sig mags were causing the malfunctions and to buy Wilson Combats?...

Yeah totally never buying another Sig. Really bummed out because this is (maybe was) my baby... Its coming on nearly 2 years of always having her by my side. She always went bang and always made me proud until a Hi-point showed her up.

Had something broke, that can be fixed and the issues solved. However NOTHING broke..... Hence the case to find out what happened. Personally I feel some distortion in the SR shaft that makes me want to blame the original part. I would love to check the measurements and see if its the case.

So far she hasnt had an issue so far. The new slide release is the same sticky difficult frustration. Working in the new part and seeing how it will go.

This is a recent gun. I would definitely trust the older guns in a heart beat! Once upon a time Sig was another name for Quality. Not today!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads