JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

After reading this would you trust your life to a Sig Sauer product?

• Total voters
We've seen Hi-point mentioned twice now, That's probably the best direction to go, I hear the warranty is straight up gangsta'

Given the apparent poor quality and lack of "customer support" that Sig Sauer provides, this seems the next logical step for this situation.

I may even trade all mine in as well. But I don't have time today, my truck broke and I have to sell it instead of fix it and then find a whole new manufacturer to buy from, because if one has a problem, well....you know how it goes.

o_O

Allot of parts are not just "plug and play". If a part is sticky or sticking in anyway it needs to be fitted.

The thru hole in the frame may be slightly undersized, they replaced the release and I bet it needs to be fitted. Bad on them. On occasion I've seen a misaligned SR cross hole and it causes binding.
I deal with all the MFG and these days none of them take the time to hand fit. Unless something went thru a custom shop.

Being in the line of work I am in. if I bashed every MFG for every little mistake I have found on a firearm. I would be carrying a slingshot for self defense.

No excuses though for their customer service.

Given the apparent poor quality and lack of "customer support" that Sig Sauer provides, this seems the next logical step for this situation.

I may even trade all mine in as well. But I don't have time today, my truck broke and I have to sell it instead of fix it and then find a whole new manufacturer to buy from, because if one has a problem, well....you know how it goes.

o_O

Honestly I usto be a fanboy of Sig kinda like IheartSig, and I would trust a older Sig because I have seen that first hand on the older Sigs I have owned. BUT I WILL NEVER BUY A NEW SIG ever ever again. I will buy older used Sig products.

The way the company handled this is laughable. They lost more than just one customer. They have lost on average 60 customers. That is a statistic that I was employed to change when I have done customer service work. I have been hired to manage these kinds of experiences by being able to address the issues and make them right and win back the offended customer's loyalty... On average what I was always trained to do was make things right. If the person was upset because of a $5 upcharge they were not informed about, I would be allowed to fix that issue and then 6 free months of service for OUR mistake... Just to keep our customers happy. And it WORKED. Our complaint department ended up getting customers calling to praise our handling of the situations.

That manager had many times to fix things. He did fix the rude and unprofessional junior CSR. He missed many chances to fix things with the customer. It will cost them.

Hipoint is a joke. However that hipoint, that day, out lasted my pistol. I wont buy one, thats to the braindead that think a little humor is dead serious. If I buy a pistol that is a grand, just because of what I thought was quality, why would I buy a Hipoint? Well besides being able to outfit a small but redneck army?

The customer service issues are a turnoff. But if I had a new gun with a slide release that was sticking or hard to operate I'd find out why and get the problem fixed before I used it as a carry weapon or in a competition/drill. Years of competition in paintball tournaments and auto racing have gotten me in the habit of not tolerating anything in my equipment that isn't quite right. Even if there's never an actual failure the issue distracts your attention from the current event while you deal with it, even after you get used to allowing for it. Even a split second's distraction in racing or a firefight can mean disaster. Stuff that is new out of the box is rarely 100% to my liking, so nearly everything I buy gets a good going over and attention paid to the small details before I commit to depending on it. The checkering on my new Remington R1S Enhanced was too aggressive for me. I found that sometimes my hand did not slide onto the grip smoothly and that it would hang up on some fabrics, so the stock grips got replaced with a less aggressively checkered set. Small things like that can make all the difference. Big things, like a sticky slide release would have been a huge red flag for me from day one. The bottom line is that you've been depending on a piece of equipment that you knew wasn't quite right. No reason to be surprised if it failed.

This is the first Cerakoted pistol that Sig made.

The issues of the pistol are yes because they didnt expect the finish to be so thick.

Yes the SR hole was cleaned out. Also the over spray on the rails was removed. Now it rattles when you shake it. SR that was returned with the gun showed abnormal wear.

The issue isnt the gun. Its that the company lied to me and now I am left feeling less than confidant.

I wasnt about to start dremeling on a warrantied gun. Sig was thought of very highly as my past experiences were positive.

The issues were not much of an issue up until the end. I knew about the CeraKoted rails and hole. Its up to the company to fix them.

The way they told me to throw away the "crap stock mags" is not cool. Thanks for the slamming your own product. Had they been honest I wouldnt really care.

I am under the mind to replace pretty much all the Sig small parts and go from there. I cant blame the gun. I can blame the lack of quality parts on Sig QC. As a former QC guy I just shake my head.

I can fix and mod my gun to what ever now I am done with Sig. Oh well warranty! Should have bought Ruger as I had a issue and they freaked out over the incident and did a huge incompany QC video as well as sending me back an amazing report with a list of EVERYTHING they switched or tweaked....

I know the work they did to my gun as I can see exactly what changed.

It's unfortunate that so many companies turn their backs on their customers after the sale. Some do a fine job of taking care of them, others really don't seem to care. Still, others think their product is so above and beyond everything else, that they shouldn't have to be bothered to provide any kind of customer service, in other words, how dare you have a problem with OUR product?

Companies like Hi-Point and SCCY seem to have really awesome customer service thought their products may not be the quality level of some others. They still stand behind them. BTW, I did own a Hi-Point JHP (.45acp) for about 6 months, and while it's an ugly cuss that does look like it was put together by grade school students, I have to say it was 100% reliable for me and was incredibly accurate. But, I digress.

I've never had to send a gun in for warranty repair, but I have dealt with customer service for Ruger, S&W, Hi-Point and Glock - all have taken care of me, and each have sent me parts at no charge and with no hassle.

As for Sig, I've owned several, and compared to other guns I've owned, they certainly were up in the higher quality range compared to some others. I never experienced a Sig failure, and while I admire the brand, I'm no Sig fanboy, they just don't work well for me.

As some others have said, I wouldn't judge a company/brand or product based on individual failures. I also wouldn't judge them over the failures of certain people in the organization - bad people happen, and it's usually possible to get around them. I'm more interested in the overall level of reliability, customer care and general quality of a product. And when it comes to guns, I'm going to rely on the models and companies that have shown a consistent track record of quality and reliability. If I were inclined to own one, I would certainly place Sig in the trusted category. I think they've proven themselves and earned that position. Of course if a big failure happens to me, I'd likely stop trusting that particular gun for my personal defense, but I likely wouldn't toss the brand, or even the model, unless there has been a demonstrated, repeated history of failures.

Of course, each person has to decide if a gun is reliable enough for them. I get that someone may not want to trust a gun or a company again. But saying that an entire company, with a longstanding history of reliability and quality in the civilian, LE and military markets is to be discarded because one pistol failed, I think is stretching things a bit further than is necessary.

The one upshot to this Sig - it's a 1911 so there's thousands of replacement parts to choose from. My last 1911 was not nearly as high dollar as that Sig, and the cheap, sharty, cast recoil spring guide shattered while I was shooting it. Chewed the crap out of the inside of the slide. I had a gunsmith fix what he could fix, picked up an Ed Brown guide rod, fitted it myself, verified function and traded the thing in. IIRC I actually picked up a Sig P220 DAK when I traded that 1911 in. Of the half dozen Sig pistols I have owned before, that DAK 220 is the one I miss the most.

Sadly it seems that 1911 mags are ridiculously hard to get to function properly, and what's even more fun is that some mags function great in one gun, but you put them in another and they won't run for beans. The two mag makers which always seemed to run despite the gun I shot them in were Chip McCormick's Power Mags and Wilson Combat.

You could sell that Sig 1911, switch the grip panels out for cheapys, and get a Para Ordnance for $400, buy $5 can of Krylon, slap the Scorpion grips on the Para, and you'll have a gun that works at least as well and looks as nice for half the price. :D

None of it really matters. It's all pretty humorous to be honest.

Yeah totally never buying another Sig. Really bummed out because this is (maybe was) my baby... Its coming on nearly 2 years of always having her by my side. She always went bang and always made me proud until a Hi-point showed her up.

You had a malfunction, after TWO YEARS! you sent it to Sig, had to wait *gasp* a month, and they replaced parts for free? ohhh the horror! :eek:

You then get upset that they didn't lavish praise and kiss your bubblegum, come on the forums to talk smack about the company and its pointed out repeatedly that all companies make mistakes etc.

You still lament on how horrible the company is and how you told so many people about it and how your friends and family will never touch a Sig and blah blah blah

:s0013:

It doesn't matter.

Also, I AM a Sig fanboy, because after decades of using them, I trust them. I am not naïve enough to think that because a part breaks or is not working properly that a whole manufacturing company is crap.

I also don't buy that the CSR called you names, I feel like he probably just wasn't swallowing your BS like you expect everyone else to. But that's just a hunch.

I carry a Glock every day, because they work, every time, and if it gets confiscated I am only out 500 dollars. Perhaps, if you are so bent over "spending 1,000.00 on a handgun that doesn't work" you should grab that Hi point or Glock if you are feeling adventurous, and not have to deal with the buyers remorse after using a handgun as daily carry for 2 years, then needing to replace a part?

Buy a Glock, man.

tmp_5646-20140226_110342-1485977641.jpg
This guy could have made a Glock failure thread. This one came apart shooting factory Remington ball 9mm. I suspect a double charge but Remington said it's not possible.

Guns are not magic talismans that manifest great magical powers on command every time you conjure the spirits of lead, sulfur, salt peter and mercurim fulminate with your trigger finger. They are machines, and they are subject to failure like every machine. Parts wear (sometimes unevenly), make it through the QC process (even though they shouldn't, survive the testing process (who knows why) and then end up in the gun you purchase.

Being angry that the gun broke is like being mad that your hot water heater went out, your dishwasher went on the fritz, or your car got a flat tire. Sometimes, doo-key just happens. I shoot a goodly amount too, and have experienced catastrophic failures in very few modern firearms using modern mass produced ammunition. With few exceptions, everything nowadays is good.

I always find it best not to invest too much mental energy over something like this. The factory fixed it for you; regardless of the tools on the other end of the phone, you got the gun back and they did it for free.

Sounds "win/win" to me.

Wow! Sorry to hear about your Sig too. I have never owned one due mainly to cost. My finances are more Springfield/Ruger/CZ level. I know how customer service can completely sour someone on their product. Bad on them, eh. I have only had to send 2 firearms back to the factory. One was a Springer I wanted new sights put on. The other was a Ruger I mangled up. In both cases CS was over the top outstanding. Yeah a great fire arm is one thing, however, does their CS stand behind their products? If not then maybe look elsewhere. Best wishes.

Sig 1911s have had problems from
the beginning. My Bro-in law has 2 different ones, including a Scorpion model. He has never trusted them
due to reliability issues.

The original Sig P series with de cockers is a solid gun. I think the new 320 is a solid gun...

The you have the 1911 line & 238/938 series. They just fee like range toys to me.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top