JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I work not far from the Hillsboro distro center. See their trucks up an down ever green erryday. They also have a truck station, I assume, right by the airfield as i see lots of their trailers parked there.

The Portland local distro is somewhere in the NW industrial area - I see their vans - sometimes a long line of them - in the mornings sometimes. I think they are the local grocery deliveries but I could be wrong.

I ordered some gum (I order larger quantities of things I use regularly - in this case, two foil packs of gum, 180 pieces each) and it was here the next day. Some things take a lot longer - it depends on how common it is.

Being an introvert/recluse, I very much prefer not having to deal with people face to face - most of the time. I don't even like to make phone calls. I got my Visa card summary for 2019, and I spent several thousand $ at Amazon last year (although probably $2-300 was on Prime video).

I usually buy things that are on sale, and I will usually check that the prices are competitive, but mostly I like the low hassle, the ability to see the reviews (although I don't rely on them - some are obviously fake, others are people who don't know what they are talking about) and the fact that if there is a problem Amazon has always made it right.

Since I live a bit in the boonies, it is very nice to not have to drive into town to get something and usually I don't mind waiting for it to be delivered. I even hate to get out of my car on the way home - I want as little exposure to people, especially in stores, as possible.

My son-in-law recently applied to Amazon for a technical computer job here in Portland and I joked with my daughter that Amazon would pay to move them up from Texas, but most everything they own would be shipped in little boxes and dropped off at their door.

The human interaction of being ignored, talked down to, not in stock, standing in line as there's not enough cashiers, and having to bring my own bag? Yeah, I can see that side too.:D

I am thankful for choices. All of them.:s0155:
This!! This is why I love them. I never did much like shopping. Early days of the malls I would sometimes go with Wife to just walk through. Come time I want something I want to walk in and buy it. Years ago cell phone was getting old and wonky. Went to Wally, they had the one I wanted, clerk with "Manager..........." on name tag said he had to get a different employee who had key. After :15 and 2 other employee's going by I see this same Manager again. He stammers some more excuses. I said so this is why you guys want $15 an hour? I walked out. Went home and ordered the phone on line, it came to my door the next day. Other than food when I need something the first thing I do now is look at Amazon.

True story: I tried to buy a cell phone online from Verizon about 15 years ago (IIRC). Couldn't get them to take my credit card. Went to the Verizon store - still wouldn't take my card. Tried a different card - wouldn't take that either. Called their operator from the store - the operator said go to the store - I explained I was at the store. Got a call from my CC co. while I was at the store, said the Verizon payment system had flagged my attempt to buy the phone as a fraud - then at the same time I got a call from the other CC co. saying the same thing.

I went home and bought the same phone on Amazon - who would not only take my order, but it was $10 cheaper.

Come to find out, almost all cell phone billings, including (at the time) purchases of phones, go thru a company that is in Oregon City - I worked with a guy for about 8 years, who used to work there. They have all kinds of fraud systems - apparently CC fraud is very common when buying cell phones. For some reason my accounts would always flag their systems. The last 5 years or so not so much because I switched to a VOIP provider who resells cell time and the billing is just a straight forward $20 per month.

True story: I tried to buy a cell phone online from Verizon about 15 years ago (IIRC). Couldn't get them to take my credit card. Went to the Verizon store - still wouldn't take my card. Tried a different card - wouldn't take that either. Called their operator from the store - the operator said go to the store - I explained I was at the store. Got a call from my CC co. while I was at the store, said the Verizon payment system had flagged my attempt to buy the phone as a fraud - then at the same time I got a call from the other CC co. saying the same thing.

I went home and bought the same phone on Amazon - who would not only take my order, but it was $10 cheaper.

Come to find out, almost all cell phone billings, including (at the time) purchases of phones, go thru a company that is in Oregon City - I worked with a guy for about 8 years, who used to work there. They have all kinds of fraud systems - apparently CC fraud is very common when buying cell phones. For some reason my accounts would always flag their systems. The last 5 years or so not so much because I switched to a VOIP provider who resells cell time and the billing is just a straight forward $20 per month.
Makes sense. While back Wife got her ID stolen. Whoever did it beat Wells Fargo out of some money by opening a couple accounts and they shut them off. Couple cell phone Co's got beat up bad though. Even after the fraud was put out they kept letting the woman who was doing it buy another phone a few times from a few Co's. Sprint seemed to get it the worst. She got them for a few phones before they woke up and stopped.

I have a small cabin at the end of a dirt road in the freekin middle of nowhere! My air compressor blew the capacitor. Amazon delivered a new capacitor the very next day to my front door! Incredible!
All other resources were a six hour round trip away, after they special ordered it.

I think Jeff has a teleportation device to deliver things faster than I could possibly find and pick them up!

I needed a couple feet of 1" heater hose the other day and couldn't find any until I went to NAPA. I reluctantly paid a little over $10 a FOOT!

My son-in-law recently applied to Amazon for a technical computer job here in Portland and I joked with my daughter that Amazon would pay to move them up from Texas, but most everything they own would be shipped in little boxes and dropped off at their door.

This right here ^^ is funny and I don't care who you are!

I've found it not uncommon for Amazon will tell you the item is coming on "Tuesday" and it won't get there 'till the following Monday. Make sure and look real close for where the item is being shipped from. Even if that item, you didn't notice was in china, says it will be delivered in 17 days, don't count on it. Wifey and I both got hit with that in December. Late Christmas present!

I'm still trying to figure out how they can spend so much money on trucks and free delivery and still turn such a huge profit.
Before they had to go through UPS, FedEx or USPS. All three pay drivers outrageous amounts of money. Then the internal employees are paid well, with benefits. Cost to ship something with one of these three is expensive.

Amazon was smart to create their own logistics network to bypass these built in expenses in the online retail game.

It's created capitalistic nightmares for other companies that are now trying to make ways to compete. Just look at our little realm of online gun shops. A handful have found ways to ship for free almost every order. Others, the ones struggling or dying, are still charging 12-20 to ship stuff because they are stuck with the three monopolies for shipping in this country.

Concerning Amazon, here is a way to have them make donations to a favorite charity you like and not let them choose...
AmazonSmile is a way for customers to support their favorite charitable organization every time they shop with Amazon.

Shoppers who start at smile.amazon.com will find the same Amazon they know and love, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate a portion of the price of eligible purchases to the charity of your choice.

Signing up is easy!

Here's how to shop AmazonSmile:

1. Visit smile.amazon.com

2. Sign in with your Amazon.com credentials

3. Choose a charitable organization to receive donations, or search for the charity of your choice

4. Select your charity

4. Start shopping!

5. Add a bookmark for smile.amazon.com to make it even easier to return and start your shopping at AmazonSmile

I chose Judicial Watch, but you can designate who you wish and Amazon will do the donations... Better yet the 2nd Amendment Foundation and such...

FYI...:)

I shop at Amazon because I got tired of driving all over looking for an item
no one has in stock, being waited on by someone with pink hair, couldn't count
to 20 without taking off their shoes and more hardware in their face than my toolbox has didn't help either.
I order from Amazon and it's on my front step in 2 days.

Not to mention has more ink in their hide than in my fountain tip pen. While we do not order everything we buy from Amazon the majority of our buying does take place online. Does not help the brick and mortar stores that the few we have in this little town stock very little and we are an hour drive from any major shopping.

I haven't seen those, but one Amazon original that is really good is The Man in the High Castle. :)
I've given that one a chance, I just couldn't get it, so I stopped watching.

Amazon is my only streaming service right now, no Hulu or Netflix, I'm thoro happy with the limited offerings they bring to the table.

We finished Catastrophe recently, laughed good and hard with that show many times.

OMG v-belts are numbered by length, they couldnt figure that out? :rolleyes:
( been a parts guy for 26 years....thats embarrasing )

D&D PowerDrive 25-7465 NAPA Automotive Replacement Belt, Rubber = 47.07"

D&D PowerDrive 25-7460 NAPA Automotive Replacement Belt, Rubber = 46.57" They've now hidden the length very well.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top