JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone on here ever build a desk?

I have a 12'x12' room that I use for my computer room/home office. I used to use those cheap 8' folding tables you would find at Office Depot, etc. They worked, but were ugly and had no cable management, etc.

I am looking to spruce things up a bit, maybe incorporate some gun storage... maybe....

I just came back from IKEA -- I could probably spend $2000 in there easily, but I don't want to! I thought about getting some 1"x1" and screwing that into my wall (on two walls, so "L" formation) and then getting some (insert wood here) and screwing that into the the 1"x1" and having some supports on the far edges and maybe at the elbow on the "L".

So I started looking at doing this and noticed that most don't screw desks together, they use glue and "biscuits" ---- hmmm, I don't have a biscuit cutter (except the one down in the kitchen :s0114:) -- I was thinking screws with those little insert things you stick in the screw holes that cover the screws would be fine...

I was thinking about integrating some wire management into the unit, putting some power distribution units connected to my three UPS's --- I would run some speaker wiring for my 7.1 surround sound I have for my computers.... speaking of computers, I have 4 computers on my desk - part of the reason for the need of cable management and a custom solution.

So has anyone on here made a desk? Am I on the right track? Or should I just get a generic desk from Office Depot/IKEA and live with it?

I think I have built some things similar to what you are talking about here.

Screwing cleats to the wall is similar to some of the techniques I use, piece of cake for the rite guy, if you want drawers then that is more complicated.

I am licensed and bonded, doing remodel work since 92.

Aren't you the guy with a pistol range? I am in the need for some basic training and some shooting time as I just bought my first pistol and can't hit the broad side of a barn with it I was told I am limp wristed.:huh:

Send me a PM if you think we could help each other out, I think I am close (Corneilius Pass and Sunset Hwy).

Edit: I see your in Boring so not so close, still I would be happy to maybe help you get started.

Good luck.

I think I have built some things similar to what you are talking about here.

Screwing cleats to the wall is similar to some of the techniques I use, piece of cake for the rite guy, if you want drawers then that is more complicated.

I am licensed and bonded, doing remodel work since 92.

Aren't you the guy with a pistol range? I am in the need for some basic training and some shooting time as I just bought my first pistol and can't hit the broad side of a barn with it I was told I am limp wristed.:huh:

Send me a PM if you think we could help each other out, I think I am close (Corneilius Pass and Sunset Hwy).

Sorry - no range here.... :(

Yet :s0155:

Sorry - no range here.... :(

Yet :s0155:

======================================================

I would suggest you build your counters out of particle board and then cover with laminate, attach to the walls with 1x2" cleats and use plenty of wood glue.

Kinda hard to explain, but I think you would be happier with a permanent nice set up, looking at maybe $250 in materials and a bunch of labor.

Work is spotty lately so I have some free time and my Buddy Bill just called today and asked me to come see him in Carver sometime soon, if you want I could pop in. No charge or commitments, purely gratis.

I used an old interior door with a two drawer file cabinet on each end. I took the door knobs off and had instant cable management. With the amount of stuff I typically have piled up, you can't tell it's not a real desk. :D

I have built stuff like a desk. http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12919

Cleats will work fine for the sides against the walls. Make sure you screw into the studs, or you could have issues later on. \

Biscuit jointery is very easy and creates a very strong joint, but yeah, you have to buy a biscuit joiner. They typically don't cost to terribly much and if you plan on doing this again, its a pretty good tool to have for future projects.

The screws with insert idea you are refering to is probably pocket joining. These are pretty easy to use and make good joints also. The link is to the simplest/cheapest pocket joining jig out there. You will still need some other stuff to use it, including a drill and clamps.
60370-md.jpg
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5985

I would strongly recommend that you make a plan and carefully consider how you are going to build and connect everything. Hand drawn sketches are fine, but try using a program like Google Sketchup. It is free, easy to learn, and very powerful.
http://sketchup.google.com/

I would also recommend going to http://www.woodworking.com They have a ton of resources for ideas and answers.

I would be happy to answer any of your sketchup or woodworking questions that you come up with along the way.

HTH

@gunnails: Thanks for the offer, sadly with my schedule and timeline to get this done I don't think I could find a time that works.

I am going to play around in Google Sketchup and see about a design. I stopped by Home Depot today looking at wood and laminate, etc, etc. If this long weekend goes right I may have photos to show everyone!

Rough, very rough, very, very, very rough Google Sketchup... at least gives me an idea for how much wood to get.

I don't have wire management, etc in there, but I am not drawing that!!!

Desk.jpg

The city of Florence eats, sleeps and breathes art. Examples of man’s artis-tic genius (天才) stand on nearly every street. Dozens of museums and art shops wait to be explored. Florence in
<broken link removed>
Italy is an art lover’s paradise1.
<broken link removed>
During the Renaissance, Flo&#65293;rence was a paradise for artists themselves. In fact, the Renaissance began here more than 500 years
flyff power leveling
ago. Before this time, art focused completely on religious (&#23447;&#25945;&#30340;) subjects. Renaissance art began to include more variety. Artists painted pictures of ordinary people. They painted scenes from history and characters from Greek and Roman myths.
<broken link removed>
Michelangelo was the greatest of Florence’s artists. Visitors line up2 for hours at the Accademia Mu&#65293;seum for a look at his impressive David. This 140-foot-high statue (&#38613;&#20687;) has become the ideal human figure of the Renaissance. David is an example of Michelangelo’s talent for sculpting people simply, yet powerfully.
More of Michelangelo’s works can be seen in the great Palazzo Vecchio. Paintings and carvings of famous Italian artists fill the palace rooms.
2moons power leveling
To get a feel of modern Flo&#65293;rence, join the evening promenade (&#25955;&#27493;). This traditional feature of Italian life begins around 6:00 p.m. when everyone gets off work. Peo&#65293;ple stroll3 down the streets of central Florence to do last minute shopping or just chat with friends. Be sure to stroll past Perche Noi, home of the oldest and best ice cream in the city.
knight online power leveling
Florence has given the world many great art treasures. Some stand in gardens and squares. Others line the walls of beautiful palaces. Still others are the palaces themselves. For art lovers, Florence is indeed paradise.
Tasks:True or false.
1. Before the Renaissance artists mainly painted pictures of ordinary people.
2. Michelangelo’s David was in the great Palazzo Vecchio.
3. Some palaces in Florence are art treasures themselves

==========================================================

How you doing, What kinda guns do you have, is it easy to get a concealed carry license in your state?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top