JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
A fellow, let us call him Rimfire Rocket, has several thousand rounds of a popular caliber posted for sale in the classifieds .
He receives information that, locally, many boxes of this ammo have many underpowered rounds with great potential for squibs.
Multiple boxes are being returned to the manufacturer by local shooters.
Should (does)Mr Rocket continue to offer this ammo for sale, or take the time and effort to return it to the manufacturer?

Your thoughts, and comments, please.
Best,
Gary

Lots of manufacturers have issues. For instance Hornady Frontier had problems blowing up AR's and Winchester seems to have issues with squibs.

To your questions would it be ethical for someone to sell a known defective product with no regards to the buyers safety? No.

Ethically, you owe it to be honest.

If you have boxes subject to recall, mention that in the ad. You don't have to be the one to begin the recall process...but not informing the buyer is a really, really big Richard of a move.

If I were getting rid of the ammo, I wouldn't bother going through the recall just to sell the ammo. That's on the buyer to deal with. Though, I can imagine that this may hurt my asking price a tad...if that were the case and I couldn't sell due to the issue...then I'd be compelled to take care of it before re-listing.

Just give it to me. I'll take care of said ammo.

Is this a serious question?

Somebody could get hurt with this stuff. Return the ammo or disclose the issue in your
Is this a serious question?

Somebody could get hurt with this stuff. Return the ammo or disclose the issue in your ad.
Yes, this is a serious question.
I advised Mr. Rocket of the problematic ammo, via PM, earlier today. As of yet,
His response was "Thanks alot."
I have not seen him visit this thread.
Best,
Gary

If Mr. rocket is not absolutely sure the MO safe, he should contact the manufacture for lot numbers. Mr Rocket knows this. He should forgo any slight profit. If someone gets hurt, you'll have problems sleeping or shaving

If Mr rocket needs to ask this question, Mr rocket has moral issues
Why does Mr Rocket need to ask this question?
Because the majority go without said ethics.

ethics

noun

1. The science of right conduct and character; the science which treats of the nature and grounds of moral obligation and of the rules which ought to determine conduct in accordance with this obligation; the doctrine of man's duty in respect to himself and the rights of others.

Why does Mr Rocket need to ask this question?
Because the majority go without said ethics.

ethics

noun

1. The science of right conduct and character; the science which treats of the nature and grounds of moral obligation and of the rules which ought to determine conduct in accordance with this obligation; the doctrine of man's duty in respect to himself and the rights of others.

It was not Mr. Rocket that posed the question.
It is time to close this thread. It has served it's purpose.
Best,
Gary

There are ethical issues and potential civil liability issues if the seller knows of the safety recall and fails to inform the buyer. While not illegal for someone to sell something on the private market that has a safety recall, it does leave them open to civil concerns should there be an issue with the product which causes damage/injury/death and someone does a lot of digging.

I generally don't expect others to act within my own ethical or moral guidelines. That's a good way to be often disappointed. I just do what I think I should do, and leave others to do the same.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top