JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
have they identified the suspects yet?
LET ME START OUT BY SAYING BUBBLEGUM FACEBOOK AND NO I DO NOT HAVE AN ACCOUNT!!!! BUT.........a family member of mine does . Living in Molalla pretty much ties in Colton/Estacada . That said news travels fast on social media . If one wanted they could visit the " Molalla NOW " Page .
Posted there is an " alleged " account as to how fire started . Some was shooting at first Memaloose gravel pit . Tanerite or similar product was placed above the pit in the tree line . KA-BOOM ....FLASH FIRE . Shooters attempted to contain but were unable to do so rapidly due to UPHILL terrain . As fire spreads , a second party arrives on scene and attempts to help responsible party . ODF is called by female believed to be with shooters ( or 911/police /fire ) Shooters decide to beat feet before they can be blamed or charged . AT THAT TIME THE GOOD SAMARITAN TAKES A FEW CHOICE PHOTOS OF THE ALLEGED " BUBBLEGUMERS " THEIR ALLEGED PHOTO IS POSTED ON FB NOW . IT SHOWS WHITE SMOKE GROWING IN BACKGROUND, RED FORD EXPLORER , 1 BLONDE FEMALE , 1 MALE AND 1 LICENSE PLATE . GOOD SAMARITANS STUCK AROUND TO HELP FIRST LEO ON SCENE AND SHARED INTEL .
but it is facebook.......since first posting of pics . Picture containing license plate was taken down per leo and fear of local justice feeding them to fire . DAMN I HOPE THIS INFO IS JUST BUBBLEGUM , BUT ?

I've tannerite plenty of times even in dry places (bend in July) and no fire or trouble. I always had water and a fire extinguisher just in case.
If they were, I'm guessing they were using gas or propane tanks with it. But who knows.
Maybe it was just another hippy smoking a dubbie

Tannerite was one of the things I was considering as a possible cause.

Most of the videos don't show flames for tannerite, but I would put it past it. Or, as mentioned, they could have also used something else in addition.

Pretty damn stupid either way.

Then to run away is just going to make it all the tougher for them when they are caught.

I would bet that one of the results of this, assuming it is tannerite, is that laws are proposed to prohibit its use, at least on public property.

tannerite is already prohibited on public land.

doesn't stop asshats from doing it though. i've been in national forest in eastern washington, some idiots shooting AKs set off tannerite hanging from a tree about 20 yards from my face as I walked up. not fun.

tannerite itself does not generate flame, but the reaction is exothermic enough to set nearby combustible material on fire.

steel penetrator/steel jacketed ammo hitting rocks is also a great way to cause fires.

this is steel on steel, but steel on rocks works just as well.

i hope they are prosecuted and lose their right to own firearms. they obviously aren't responsible enough to be trusted with them.
Are we going to put people in prison for life, then? If no free man shall be denied the use of arms(those are words from The Founding Fathers, not from me.), will they be killed or imprisoned for life? I hope those of us that support "Don't Tread On Me" know how insane it sounds when they imply that we are a collective and will answer for the crimes of others. I hope you all turn in your driver's licenses when someone you've never met get's a DUI. I also heard there was voter fraud in Chicago, so I know you won't vote, either. As long as folks look at insane anti-gun rhetoric with anything but contempt, you will continue to allow others to oppress you. Rights can't be taken, only given up. I'll keep mine, thanks.

Ricochet, tracer rounds, explosive targets, parking on tall dry grass/weeds, flicking cigarettes that aren't extinguished - lots of ways to start a fire when it's dry out.

While shooting with a friend on his property once, we almost set his field afire after a tracer round struck a rock and popped up the berm into a clump of grass before it was burned out. Scary moment.

Careless people - whatever their activity - start a lot of forest fires every year. Regardless if they were target shooters or not you would have to be living under a rock not to know about the fire danger warnings in effect - even cities are shutting down public parks due to fire danger.

We got word while camping last week that the forest service had shut down most activities such as shooting, atv riding, wilderness camp fires, and off-roading. I don't have a lot of sympathy for the person or persons responsible for this fire - they make it hard for any outdoor recreation enthusiast - shooter, fisherman, camper, etc look bad and lead to closures or curtailing of activities.

Dude, Ricochet? Really? Sparking bullets exist only in Hollywood. Tracers could do it for sure tho.

shoot a BB gun at a concrete driveway at night. you'll see sparks.

not at all hard to see how a rifle bullet would spark. especially steel core or steel jacketed.

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/4106/24629/

inciweb has the best fire information

including this:

Investigators have determined that the 36 Pit Fire started as the result of bullet fragments igniting fine dry fuels at the origin area of the fire. Investigators confirmed this finding with witness observations, fire progression maps, and physical evidence collected at the specific origin area. The fire started in an area popular with target shooters. Information gathered up to this point indicates that the fire was not intentionally caused and the 36 Pit was open to recreational target shooting at the time of the incident.

Although the Forest Service supports responsible target shooting, shooters should also be aware that bullets with steel components and solid copper jackets impacting rocks or metal have the potential to produce hot fragments which can readily cause a fire, given the right weather and fuel conditions. For information about how rifle bullets can ignite a fire please visit the following website: http://www.fs.fed.us/rm/pubs/rmrs_rp104.pdf .
This has been an extraordinarily hot and dry summer. Shooters should be aware of this and ensure that they prepare accordingly.Witness interviews are still being conducted. Anyone with information relevant to the investigation should contact Phil Huff at 503-668-1686.

Sadly, this is likely to happen more, not less as we get more novice shooters who don't think about fire danger when shooting near very dry tinder.

I ran into some jackass who left not one, but TWO unattended fires without rings RIGHT NEXT to bunches of dry grass in an area with: "Fire Danger: EXTREME" and "No Open fires" signs all up the road to the are he was in.

I chewed his bubblegum out and shamed him in front of his three grandkids. He's lucky I didn't have cell reception or I would have called a ranger/sheriff.

Gun owners aren't any brighter than the average. We're going to have idiots, just like any other group.

I appreciate the OP because once again it highlights the issue for those of you perhaps on the West side who simply don't have to deal with the danger so much.

I'm a smoker and I'm mighty careful where I smoke in the woods and I treat my ashes like the Devil and put the butts in my pocket.

You just don't grasp the threat until you live in a major fire-prone area for a while, especially if you're used to a very wet climate where setting a fire from something like shooting is all but impossible if you were trying.

I looked, and sure enough, the guy I ran into with the campfires was from Everett.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top