JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any recommendations for a good place to use for engraving a lower around the Portland area? Thanks in advance.

It's a bit of a drive but there is an engraving shop in Newberg that basically can engrave anything via laser in 5 minutes or less for about $20 bucks.

Cascade Laser

Ask for Tara.

It's a bit of a drive but there is an engraving shop in Newberg that basically can engrave anything via laser in 5 minutes or less for about $20 bucks.

Cascade Laser

Ask for Tara.
Newberg is close to me.

Newberg is close to me.
Give them a call. Last one I did they were a little behind due to Covid and couldn't do it same day. All others I've had done by them I walked in asked for Tara, 10 minutes later walked out.

Looking at doing the same thing. On the form 1 do you need to do that through an ffl or just fill it out and send it?
I just efiled my first one. With help from @wired it went pretty smooth. The site was a bit finicky depending on the browser you use (google chrome fixed all my issues). Got my cover letter and form in the email. I hope the library is open cause I don't have a printer here at home. I just need to print my cover letter and send it with my print cards. And send the Cleo form to Washington County. Then play the waiting game.

Just had mine done at bye engraving.
$40 and did it while I waited. Super nice guys and shared some of their other projects they work on.
20201215_101715.jpg

Are you really required to lazer engrave youre sbr from what Ive read its only if you ever plan to sell
Cite the source. That's an incorrect statement.

When you make ANY NFA item you ARE required to engrave the NFA information on it.

Are you really required to lazer engrave youre sbr from what Ive read its only if you ever plan to sell

That is some idiotic drivel that Nick Leghorn came up with a few years ago stating that he "talked to some ATF agent on the phone" who told him they didnt need to be engraved. What Leghorn forgot to do is look at the Form 1 instructions and the Federal code that clearly state that form 1 SBR's have to be engraved with the makers information in addition to the original manufacturers information. What the Agent was probably talking about , if there ever was an agent, was title 1 firearms and he got that wrong too. That little bit of dumb@ss has been floating around for a few years now.

27 CFR 479.102 is the ATF regulation that requires engraving NFA items. (For this regulation the word "firearm" includes silencers and other NFA items).

Yes it is required to add the maker and city and state that it was made in.
That is some idiotic drivel that Nick Leghorn came up with a few years ago stating that he "talked to some ATF agent on the phone" who told him they didnt need to be engraved. What Leghorn forgot to do is look at the Form 1 instructions and the Federal code that clearly state that form 1 SBR's have to be engraved with the makers information in addition to the original manufacturers information. What the Agent was probably talking about , if there ever was an agent, was title 1 firearms and he got that wrong too. That little bit of dumb@ss has been floating around for a few years now.

Cite the source. That's an incorrect statement.

When you make ANY NFA item you ARE required to engrave the NFA information on it.

Second this.

I have an AK Draco pistol that I SBR'd. It has the original Romanian manufacturer & S/N info on it, then in another location (per NFA instructions) I have my Trust name with City & State engraved BECAUSE my trust was the "maker" of the NFA item.

Here's a few references: ATF and Cornell Law white paper. They state the minimum depth and size. I saw a discussion about depth at one point and they were saying that low power lasers may not be adequate. I don't recall the specifics but throwing it out there in case someone else can help out with verified information.

ETA, I believe the discussion I heard was about lasers or engraving only going through the coating and not into the metal of the part. Just a heads up so you can tell the engraver what you really need.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads