JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A random thought on this thread: If one could get some simunition they could run with one of those in the chamber and the lethal stuff in the magazine. Let the simunition rack the gun while making a bang.

A random thought on this thread: If one could get some simunition they could run with one of those in the chamber and the lethal stuff in the magazine. Let the simunition rack the gun while making a bang.

Not a bad idea. I wonder if that could be used against you after the shooting as firing a less then lethal round (or blank) to show that you were not truly afraid for you life.

My other thought is that most failures in a simi-auto are during the rechambering of a round, which is part of the reason I keep mine loaded - I'd like to have at least one guaranteed shot before a malfunction.

Not a bad idea. I wonder if that could be used against you after the shooting as firing a less then lethal round (or blank) to show that you were not truly afraid for you life.

My other thought is that most failures in a simi-auto are during the rechambering of a round, which is part of the reason I keep mine loaded - I'd like to have at least one guaranteed shot before a malfunction.

Turns out that simunition can only be purchased by LE and training facilities. There is some kind of certification class/process also. Seems silly for non lethal ammo but there it is.

I believe Simunition uses its own special barrel, too. Found some onse at a range, tried in my Glock and ended up cleaning out a blocked bore.
Yeah I read about the special barrels that save you from cleaning/clearing yours and those barrels won't allow a real round to be loaded. Usually can fire one or two of the simunitions with the stock barrel but then you might get a jam or a block.

Malfunction?!
Just buy a glock and don't worry about malfunctions!

(Haha, and here comes the glock bashing)

I think it will be a matter of choice for each person.
Having played 3gun for a number of years and being comfortable with my equipment and training level, I carry ready to rock with whatever gun I choose to carry .
But then again, I have yet to be on the two way range, so all bets are off .;)

I wholeheartedly agree with the unloaded and trigger/barrel locked pistol if it is being stored at home in a manner where children *might* have the possibility of happening across it. A lock box or safe is a better option for those that choose to have a loaded pistol in the house. Safety first, especially around the wee ones. That applies to loaded shotguns and rifles too. Even if you have been training firearms safety since birth.

When carrying anything above a 3" concealed, an IWB retention holster, sturdy carry belt and one in the chamber is the best, safest option for an emergency. Most know of the 'blackjack' rule...almost all shooting situations occur within 21 feet between the shooter and the bad guy. That 7 yard average is national of course, each situation varies. Anyone in law enforcement can tell you that a bad guy can rush 7 yards almost faster than you can draw. This is why LEOs have retention holsters, and so should you.

I wholeheartedly agree with the unloaded and trigger/barrel locked pistol if it is being stored at home in a manner where children *might* have the possibility of happening across it. A lock box or safe is a better option for those that choose to have a loaded pistol in the house. Safety first, especially around the wee ones. That applies to loaded shotguns and rifles too. Even if you have been training firearms safety since birth.

When carrying anything above a 3" concealed, an IWB retention holster, sturdy carry belt and one in the chamber is the best, safest option for an emergency. Most know of the 'blackjack' rule...almost all shooting situations occur within 21 feet between the shooter and the bad guy. That 7 yard average is national of course, each situation varies. Anyone in law enforcement can tell you that a bad guy can rush 7 yards almost faster than you can draw. This is why LEOs have retention holsters, and so should you.

Good points.
I would also add that if one were to view and study all available materials, you may notice that a majority of gun fights and life threatening circumstances occur at much closer than 21 feet. "Bad Breath Distance", as one instructor called it.
I dont really practice pistol shooting past 21 feet. I feel at that distance, if you are committed to learning and being better , you should be very accurate at that range.
10-15 feet is also about where all rounds should be in the center A box , depending on your experience.
5-7 feet, rapid fire and dopuble taps are almost in the same hole , under an induced stress situation.
But again, everyone will shoot and point differently in a high stress adrenaline dump encounter.

That's why everyone should carry a knife and know how to use it better then just watching videos about it;).

One in the chamber,cause if I have to use it the less thinking and fine motor movement the better,I'll save my fine motor skills under stress for if I have to use my knife because of a malfunction. If it isn't ready to go then what is the point in carrying,if you draw you gun you are going to need it now and having your gun ready right away could save your life. If you draw your gun but don't have to fire then you are not in immediate life threatening danger,especially if you have enough time to chamber a round before you shoot.

If you aren't comfortable carrying your gun with one in the chamber then you either need to practice more or sell your gun and replace it with one you will be comfortable carrying chambered and no one will shame you for that,I've sold or traded away a few guns I don't feel comfortable with carrying chambered all of which happened to be striker fired guns with short and light trigger pulls,the only striker fired gun I have right now is a Beretta Nano it has a long and somewhat heavy but smooth trigger pull. Trade around if you have to and try a bunch of different actions you'll more than likely find a few you will be comfortable carrying chambered.

I have a Beretta PX4 .40 that I carry with one in the chamber and I do the same with my HK P30, both DA/SA Decocked. I'm not worried about the first trigger pull.

I do have a Kimber Solo SA striker fired that I won't carry with one in the chamber cause I'm just not comfortable. Based on everything I've read I should sell it... Anyone want to by it.....?

I have a Beretta PX4 .40 that I carry with one in the chamber and I do the same with my HK P30, both DA/SA Decocked. I'm not worried about the first trigger pull.

I do have a Kimber Solo SA striker fired that I won't carry with one in the chamber cause I'm just not comfortable. Based on everything I've read I should sell it... Anyone want to by it.....?
I don't think it has been mentioned yet however for those of us with DA/SA firearms that we carry for self defense we need to practice with both trigger pulls to be comfortable and accurate both with the first long pull and the subsequent short pulls.

That's a good point. I'm a 1911 fan, but for anything like my old PPK or a Beretta 92, one needs to just practice drawing and putting two on target. It's quite a change from first shot to second. There are people who believe in getting the first shot off as quickly as possible, considering it a "thowaway," then settling down to careful work with the SA trigger.

I am just not comfortable with this M&P Shield with one in the chamber and think I would be more comfortable carrying with one in the chamber if the weapon was hammer fired. I guess it is time to look for another handgun. Don't tell the Mrs. :rolleyes:

That's a good point. I'm a 1911 fan, but for anything like my old PPK or a Beretta 92, one needs to just practice drawing and putting two on target. It's quite a change from first shot to second. There are people who believe in getting the first shot off as quickly as possible, considering it a "thowaway," then settling down to careful work with the SA trigger.

throwaway or not they are responsible for each and every round out of the barrel.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top