JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I put the one surviving Emden in the goose coup tonight with the others for the first time
I did not anticipate this
being raised in the house and walking with me daily, she doesn't understand she's a goose
she bonded with me when I took her out of the box on her 3rd day of life
the other geese are just trying to bed down with her and she screaming her head off since I'm not down there
if I sit next to the door, she calms down and makes her baby noises, but when I walk away, she screams
I'll sit down with her and drink my wine for a couple night, but she has to realize - SHE'S A GOOSE

the goslings are 6 weeks old today
you will see a runt with the others, it's only 6" tall, about half the size of the others
fully formed, but half sized

20220727_080722.jpg 20220727_080747.jpg 20220727_080753.jpg

We took in a big male years ago after all his buddies were eaten by coyotes. The dang thing was as mean as a mad snake and would take us down every day. I almost twisted his head off but held back because the gal that gave him to us did not want him killed. I gave him to a guy that lived on a pond and it only took a month before he was attacking his family. The last time I asked how the goose was he said "he was good, tasty in fact".

I had geese growing up and they were all really good, even hatched out some Canadian Honkers from some eggs that were given to us. (the people that found them thought they were abandoned) The one surviving honker got big and when it was time for the wild one's to fly south he picked his fat butt off the ground and flew away with them.

Like the scrawny little brother in a family that the others always looked after.
Who the hell needs people if you have access to these neat animals.
I think you're a lucky man.
I've read that runt geese occur in wild flocks also, but they usually die off, since they can't fly
ours is watched over by the Clan, if it gets to far from the group, one of the Chinese males stays with it
today I picked it up as it came out of the coup and headed up to the house to show my wife
mama goose and one of the males followed me honking frantically
they didn't attack, but they were very upset
I put runt down and it ran under it's mother and they all gathered round to see that it was OK
I feel confident they will watch over and protect the runt, even after it matures

the runt has continued to grow, but is still half the size of her siblings
she has full wing feather, good legs and clear eyes, but stays close to her mother
the first batch of Chinese we got didn't fully mature for 18 month, these new ones are only 12 weeks old now
the 3 male chinese have developed impressive Basel Nodes (the knob on their forehead)

the remaining Emden is as large as our big Gander, but Emdens grow rapidly
she still more attached to me that to the rest of the flock, but does spend time with them now

putting up a larger coup for them before Winter, extending the existing coup by 12'
our big gander has to be caged separate from the rest every night, in close quarters, he still attacks the other males

and we have not seen a racoon in months - even our neighbors trail cam is not showing them any longer at night
you can't tell me racoons can't communicate - after 3 were shot, the rest found elsewhere to range

she has full wing feather, good legs and clear eyes, but stays close to her mother
the first batch of Chinese we got didn't fully mature for 18 month, these new ones are only 12 weeks old now
the 3 male chinese have developed impressive Basel Nodes (the knob on their forehead)

she still more attached to me that to the rest of the flock, but does spend time with them now

putting up a larger coup for them before Winter, extending the existing coup by 12'
our big gander has to be caged separate from the rest every night, in close quarters, he still attacks the other males

and we have not seen a racoon in months - even our neighbors trail cam is not showing them any longer at night
you can't tell me racoons can't communicate - after 3 were shot, the rest found elsewhere to range
You don't survive by stealing eggs unless you know when to move on.

They are not stupid critters. Place we used to live I fed them for a long time until one attacked one dog out of the blue. I went after it with a maglight as that was all I had at hand when it happened. For years we lived there the critters kept coming by using our back fence and a freeway but they never again came down in our yard. They do learn. There is a mated pair where we live now that are huge. Since they have unlimited food and water they live well. They set off the alarms around out chickens now and then but so far have not been trying to get in the pen. As long as they do not I will be live and let live. If they start trying to break into the pen I will make it clear to them the chickens are NOT their for dinner :D

it's now march, 2024, have to many geese and new eggs are appearing daily

anyone want any Chinese Geese?
have several mating pair I'll get rid of for free
yes - FREE
these are hand raised and not aggressive towards humans - good with kids
but very noisy - not recommended for urban neighborhoods
we're up near Woodland, Wa, but if anyone wants a mating pair of Chinese geese, send me a PM

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews