JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's a BIG goose egg!

Emden goose egg.jpg

Man, I have enough of an issue with chicken "Embryo's as it is. I still eat eggs, but goose eggs? That big. Just seems like something's wrong with that picture. :s0138:

once the new Emdens start laying, I'll give you a few eggs

It's the gigagoose!
That was great. When the dog in my avatar was still with us he LOVED to harass Canada Geese. School I used to walk him would often have the ball field covered. If no one was around I would let him off leash and the little fur missile was off. He would make a few passes at them till the entire flock would move to other greenery. Since the birds were much larger than him I was always kind of surprised they never tried to hold their ground and return the attack. Some cities were hiring people with trained dogs to chase them off from parks for a while. They are a PITA up here as many of them stop migrating they have it so good here. :D

That was great. When the dog in my avatar was still with us he LOVED to harass Canada Geese. School I used to walk him would often have the ball field covered. If no one was around I would let him off leash and the little fur missile was off. He would make a few passes at them till the entire flock would move to other greenery. Since the birds were much larger than him I was always kind of surprised they never tried to hold their ground and return the attack. Some cities were hiring people with trained dogs to chase them off from parks for a while. They are a PITA up here as many of them stop migrating they have it so good here. :D
a Canadian goose is less than half the size of my big male watch goose
a true Gigagoose

Daddy Goose.jpg

Man, I have enough of an issue with chicken "Embryo's as it is. I still eat eggs, but goose eggs? That big. Just seems like something's wrong with that picture. :s0138:
LOL, when I was a kid my Dad had a couple females and one male. We used to eat the eggs. They were great. The male used to scare me when I went to get the eggs until one day he actually got me in the leg. He was so proud of himself strutting around I had to laugh. Later Dad moved to a place on the water and started letting them out during the day. In time they started to interact with other wild geese and soon they just joined the wild ones and we stopped seeing them. Probably was some very odd looking geese for many years as they interbred. :D

They are a PITA up here as many of them stop migrating they have it so good here. :D
Down here, Blue Lake Park out near Troutdale and the Columbia River have thousands of those filthy birds in winter/ spring. I'm guess they must haze them when the public starts renting the shelters and having company/family pick-nicks, swimming/paddling in the lake. The grassy areas are literally plastered with their dukey.

Their droppings can be some pretty nasty stuff. I presume home poultry farmers have a system for handling the hazard and smell.

a Canadian goose is less than half the size of my big male watch goose
a true Gigagoose

View attachment 1223414
Been so damn long I am not sure anymore what breed he had. I seem to remember they were dark gray and white but, it has been a hell of long time. When they were allowed out on the water in the sound here there was a few different kinds of geese around that they were soon interacting with till they finally just stopped coming back to their pen at night. They seemed HUGE to me at the time but I was 6 and 7, so seemed like they could almost look me in the eye. :D

it's called organic fertilizer
that's why we have such rich grass for the geese to forage on
with our small flock, it's not an issue
Good to know. I used to pass by a few poultry farms occasionally when I was younger, and the smell of chicken poop would waft for miles. Not as bad as pig poop but very bad. Cow poop seemed to be the most benign.

if you think goose poo is stinky, we use truck loads of chicken manure for organic fertilizer
grab a shovel and come out to help me unload a truck load sometime

Thank you no. :D

Their droppings can be some pretty nasty stuff. I presume home poultry farmers have a system for handling the hazard and smell.
Ours when we were eating the eggs had a HUGE pasture to graze in. So they had so much land it was no mess. Had a cow and a goat that all shared the place. Geese had a large house that they would return to at night to sleep in and were the females laid. Later their pen was at the water and they were allowed out all day until they just stopped coming back. I know those damn Canada ones will make a HUGE stinking mess in parks and such because there is just so damn many of them. Not sure what they hell those who farm them do. Guess like raising things like hogs they must have some way to deal with it.

Good to know. I used to pass by a few poultry farms occasionally when I was younger, and the smell of chicken poop would waft for miles. Not as bad as pig poop but very bad. Cow poop seemed to be the most benign.

Thank you no. :D
I don't even unload chicken manure by shovel any longer
bought one of these at Harbor Freight
unloads 1500 lbs of chicken manure in just two min!

The goose poop is no problem if its a few geese on a few acres. When they all come back and hang around on your porch pooping and pecking on the door--which sounds just like a knock--so you will come out and visit with them, that's another thing.

The goose poop is no problem if its a few geese on a few acres. When they all come back and hang around on your porch pooping and pecking on the door--which sounds just like a knock--so you will come out and visit with them, that's another thing.
years ago we had Kentucky Red Turkeys, who can fly
now we don't have a door bell, but a cow bell ringer
my wife would hear the bell and go to the back door to see who was there - no one
then one day, she looked up and saw 4 turkeys sitting on the roof looking down - so she made the mistake of feeding them
they quickly learned that if one flew down and rang the bell, my wife would come out and feed them

I never made the mistake of feeding the geese when they knocked on the door. However, I did come to the door and chase them off the porch and call them names. They thought this was fun. Have to confess, so did I.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews