Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Electronic triggers

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by spengo, Apr 12, 2010.

1. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

What is the legality of modifying a gun to use an electronic trigger? You could easily adjust the weight to ridiculously light and if you have a two-finger trigger that is popular on paintball guns you could fire very quickly. Obviously not good for proper trigger control and not very practical for something you'd carry around, but for a mounted range toy gun... Could be a new "poor man's machine gun."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXxeUQwrTpQ&feature=related

EDIT: just occurred to me that this might fit better in legal/political. :bash: Oh well, a mod can move it if they want to.

2. cbzdel

cbzdel Tacoma, WA Member

there is a thread on rimfire central about a guy deleoping an electronic trigger for the 10/22 there is quite a bit of info on that thread, let me find a link..

I have not read more than 5% of this thread so maybe its not as useful as I may think..

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317395

3. mpmax

mpmax Woodburn Active Member

I was under the impression that the ATF forbade it....research required.

4. spengo

I was thinking of doing something like setting up a servo motor that would attach to the place a pistol grip would normally go on an AR-15 that can actuate the trigger and then have a separate device that is the electronic trigger connected by a wire or something. Could mount it on a tripod and have an awesome bullet hose gun.

5. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

yes, but 1 trigger pull 1 shot.

that would not be the case with the electronic trigger.
    A servo attached to a cam.

6. spengo

I would make it one pull one shot. The idea is to have a large trigger that you can hit with two fingers; alternate the fingers quickly and you can simulate full auto.

7. gixxer1974

gixxer1974 Portlad Oregon Member

When i was looking into "build it yourself" gattlin gun kits they all warned that "electronic triggers, servos, and motor driven triggers where illegal. The example they all gave was hooking up an electric drill to the stem of the crank. I don't know if that holds true to other guns or just gattlin guns but I bet its all guns.

8. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

9. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Again, one pull one round fired, any more is a machine gun. No, it's not constitutional, but it is 5 to 10 years under the current regime

10. spengo

but if the motor actuating the trigger is a servo that can only move so far back and forth and doesn't spin all the way around, is it still illegal just because someone *could* use a regular motor if they wanted?

What about instead of using a cam to push the trigger, you attach a cable from the cam around the trigger. That way the motor is outside the trigger guard and it is completely impossible to be modified to full auto.

11. bugeye

bugeye Oregon Well-Known Member

If you're going to put a motor on a semi auto weapon for the trigger why not let it run the bolt and load the next round into the chamber too, get rid of any parasitic losses and power variations from gas activated systems. The whole system could have a few feedback sensors and with a cheap microcontroller could tweak itself to perfection, and it could even detect a fail to fire and eject that cartridge, or a fail to eject and try it over again.

12. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

Dont let Toyota make them :)

13. swoop

swoop Milwaukie, Oregon Well-Known Member

:laugh: :laugh: Took the words right out of my mouth.:D

14. branchbuster

branchbuster Albany Active Member

Why not let Toyota build it? Then you could blame the "stuck throttle" on them!