JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If it can make a difference in my mind, it'll make a difference on paper. If I'm 100% confident that each cartridge has the exact same amount of powder in it, I won't doubt it when launching them downrange.

It's a confidence in the product type of thing I guess you could say. And I have seen .2gr make a very noticeable difference on paper with certain cartridges.

Just my process and parameters. Doesn't necessarily work for anyone else.
Totally understand that. Confidence makes you worry less and less worry=better concentration. Perhaps it really doesn't need a test.

I have a pair of RCBS Chargemaster Lite's I use for my precision rifle loads. I run them at the same time so I am not waiting much for the next charge. Set them on auto and go. By the time I have moved my funnel and dumped a charge the next one is done weighing out the next charge and I repeat. No complaints at all with them. At $260 each, it's not too huge of a hit. I started with one and got the second to speed things up.

Edit: I run Varget mostly for my .308 rounds so the inconsistent little cylinder powder. Meeters fine with these. Guys have do "McDonalds" straws they shove in the output to try to make them flow quicker etc. I have had no need too as they work great as built. (this is coming from a guy the modifies everything and does it for a living!)

044-98940.jpg

Yes. As I'm sure you're well aware, the throw weight will change as the powder level drops/increases. Even with a baffle installe

Depending on how anal you are about the exactness of the charge weight, small adjustments may be necessary as the column height varies, even with consistent throw technique.

After nearly 40 years, I'm still with the RCBS Uniflow measure. Or meter, to be more accurate. It meters, doesn't measure. Anyway, for decades I used an RCBS beam scale, it was pretty accurate. My sense of worth completely fell apart when I bought a small, cheap electronic dope scale. From then on, I was always fiddling with the powder measure. I'd learned of the need to tweak it from time to time as the powder level dropped, etc. I would tap it and check the charge every time I'd paused to seat bullets (bench vibration can cause a heavy charge). Etc. Oh, and the little lock screw on the measure sometimes would work loose. But that stinkin' electronic scale has really made me fiddly.

Yes I am but I figure there are so many other variables that affect accuracy that the few tenths of a grain of powder are the least of my worries. I load to duplicate factory accuracy and not target accuracy so I just go for it. If I was trying to load target loads I would surely check each one. I also do other things that would strike horror into the hearts of a target shooter.....
1. I don't sort my brass (but I do check for cracks)
2. I stopped cleaning my brass in the tumbler (It's a waste of time)
3. I don't clean the primer pockets anymore (it never made a difference)
4. I trim brass only when it gives me chambering problems. (I feel some guilt for that one)
5. I use mixed brands of primers at times (but rarely need to) (No guilt)
6. I sometimes use mixed brands of bullets if they're the same weight (a little guilt but I take it into consideration on groups)
7. If the brass is dented after sizing I load it and shoot it as if it was normal (It's amazing how quickly those dents go away)
8. I will use 50 year old powder as if I just bought it a week ago. (I did dump out about 5 lbs of WW2 era 4831 that started to stink)

I know some of you have just fallen off your chairs right now and checking your pacemakers for function but it really hasn't made much of a difference in accuracy. At least not enough to get me worried about using them to hunt with. For target shooting I don't have to impress anyone (and I'm sure I don't) but if I did I would take better care of my brass but I usually shoot alone so it's between me and the squirrels to see my group size and the squirrels ain't talking........
I'm fully a

This is absolutely precious. I have to raise my hand on a couple, "Guilty." Such as determining that cleaning primer pockets has never made any difference in my kind of shooting. I trim cases pretty religiously, sort brass, won't mix primers or bullets. But I'm a service grade shooter, hitting that black ball (size of a human head) is my goal. Which I guess makes me a reloader, not a hand loader as some profess.

I like clean brass but it doesn't have to be sparkling nail new.

Oh, I've had some of that ancient 4831 that turned to liquid.

Well thanks for all the input everyone. I pulled the trigger tonight and ordered the FX120i scale as well as put down the deposit in the remainder of the Autotrickler V3. Reading reviews and knowing a bit about measuring I chose to go witb the FX120i scale as it's not a strain gaige like the RCBS unit. Also makes it more accurate. The scale itself also has a 5yr warranty. This also helped make my decision. Laboratory grade scale. Fully upgradable system and J can pretty much piece meal it together and use the individual pieces as they are available. Accuracy difference of 0.02grains between the RCBS and the A&D scale with the A&D being the most accurate.

Anyone else that may be interested I got mine from Reloading Scale and Autotrickler FX-120I and V2 Combo out of Canada. I called the distributor of the scale and got a quote directly from them but it was twice the price of this website. Supposed to ship tomorrow and I shoild have the scale itself my Tuesday. The remaining parts for the autotrickler system is about 3-5 weeks out but in the mean time I will be able to use my uniflo powder dispenser and the RCBS trickler by hand. Not that I shoot good enough to notice the difference yet but I will eventually get there.

Now let's just hope the other half doesn't happen to find out what I spent on it lol

James

Wow y'all almost had me. I've had a chargemaster for 10-12yrs now. After reading some of the post and watching a video on the autotrickler I was ready to buy. After following the link posted and seeing $960 well like I said almost had me. My chargemaster can throw a charge in around 10 seconds yeah 0.1+/- not 0.01+/- but I can't shoot good enough to tell 0.1 much less 0.01. I can tell the difference between $400 and $900

another plus for the chargemaster when I got mine RCBS had a 2yr warranty I think it is 1yr now, but after about 5yrs I had problems with the scale. Called RCBS to find get an estimate on repairs and they told me to send it in with my name and address and the problem and they would send me a new one. I explain that I had it for approx 5yrs and just wanted an estimate she told me again name, address, and problem. I had a new one in under 2 weeks only paid shipping to them.

Yeah it's a bit of a cost. Buy once cry once is what I always hear. Anyways. Like I'm doing I bought the scale which was like 500$ shipped. Everything else can be bought as a package or in pieces. I'm buying separately so that I can get the autotrickler itself sooner rather than later and then will add on the autothrow. Makes it a bit less of a hear attack when done that way. 0.02grains is less than 1 kernal of powder. If I eliminate thag variable then I can 100% work on my shooting and all the other variables.

James

Btw here is a great scientific approach about accuracy and scales. It was a great read and rather eye-opening..

James

Btw here is a great scientific approach about accuracy and scales. It was a great read and rather eye-opening..

James
Good read.

Well the scale finally showed up. Still waiting on the autotrickler and the autothrow. The trickler should have already been sent and the autothrow is probably 2 to 3 weeks out as it just came out.

Going to try and figure out how to get the RCBS powder dispenser on it so I can throw close and trickle up by hand for now. It will just be manual for now until the rest of the setup gets here.

And yeah this thing is pretty damn accurate. 0.02gr of W748 is about 8-10 flakes. I didn't count but it's a very very little amount. Lol

James

20200513_165759.jpg

Enjoy your new scale. The FX120i is amazingly fast. Remember to set and use the mode button.
That picture of yours is showing grams not grains. You get two digits right of the decimal with grains.

I still use an accurate beam scale and an older digital scale for checking throws and weighing other things. Once your auto-trickler is setup it becomes harder to use the scale for things like bullets and brass.

FYI, The two technologies for weighing are commonly referred to as strain gauge or magnetic force restoration.
Strain gauge based scales may have what is known as drift where the zero point shifts.

MFR based scales are less likely to have that issue.

Both are accurate. MFR is fast enough to track changing weight like when powder is filled and trickled up

Here's an example of the definition for those who like to geek out:

Dispensers like Chargemaster lite & Pro are great products for their price point however the Chargemaster Expert is too expensive to not be made with a MFR based weighing cell .... in my opinion anyway.

When setup, the A&D FX-120i with Autothrow & trickle can be controlled by a phone via bluetooth.

That makes loading a charge weight spread super easy and fast.
If you are shooting every week, that time adds up.

You can also skip the auto throw part and keep using your Powder Measure like Redding BR3 for example.
In this case the auto trickler will level up every charge to your settings.

I still have my lyman digital. It's not all that accurate but it's good enough for brass and bullets. I shot my first loads after loading with the A&d and I noticed quite the difference. Even my kids noticed the difference. My 10yr old was pretty consistently able to shoot 1moa at 100 and I was able to get it down to about a 1/2 moa depending on the powders.

If I remember right the 77 custom comps didn't like H335 and W748 which my loads but my varget and 4064 loads were money. Will have to double check. Was feeling like crud that day and my ear plugs for some reason weren't working all that well. Will take another trip back Ina couple days.

Yeah I knew the scale was in grams. I had just turned it on. The autotrickler should up yesterday but I'm still waiting on the autothrow which is 7 weeks out. Ugg. But better than nothing. Ohh and I have an E2 class weight showing up. Expensive yes. Overkill probably. But being from the quality management world your quality is only as good as the equipment your using and it's calibration.

James

Well after a bit of just using the autotrickler with the fx120i scale I am definitely enjoying it. A bit of a pain without the autothrow but with the powder dispenser I was able to get a routine down pretty good. Been putting off ordering the autothrow for a while due to lead time but today I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the last piece. Hopefully the 7 week lead time is quite a bit quicker. Should have just ordered it a while back but ohhwell. Live and learn.

Since I'm reloading for pistol as well now I'm finding myself doing a lot more reloading. I can definitely tell the accuracy difference at the range as well.

James

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top