JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK. So heres the story. Tired of using the RCBS uniflow powder dispenser. Works great for ball and flake powders but sucks for stick powders. Takes way too much time. Looking for something to throw or dispense powder extremely accurately and efficiently. Tried the Frankford Arsenal Intelidropper. It was great but extremely poor quality and workmanship. Had one working great for 2 weeks then blah. After 4 of them back it went.

Been really eyeballing the RCBS Matchmaster dispenser but I'm having an extremely hard time justifying the 900$ price tag. If it were say 500 give or take then it would already be bought. Anyone got any suggestions for a fast reliable and accurate powder dispenser? Obviously I'm seriously looking at the Matchmaster so you can't really get anything better than that.

Please help. I'm torn. They did have a rebate for a free FL die set of the matchmasters but I already have those in 308 and 223. The only calibers I load in bulk at the moment.

Thanks
James

Thanks DizzyJ for the reply. Have you used that dispenser before? I will have to look at reviews. Its been out for quite some time it appears. Roughly 6yrs from my brief search. I've looked at the hornady ones before and saw a lot of accuracy issues. But my hornady G1500 has been great and it's cheap but not a dispenser. I'm really leaving towards the matchmaster bit Thays one tough pill to swallow. But a 0.04gr accuracy in match mode while still dispensing in less than 20secs for a 50gr load. Thays really tugging at me.

Definitely gonna have to look into the charge master. Maybe even look at the lite version as it appears the same without the removable scale...

Decisions decisions decisions lol. If only I was rich.

James

Great. Now I'm looking at the V3 autotrickler. That thing looks pretty slick. Now it's not as refined as let's say any of the other dispensers it's a lab scale and fully upgradable. Cost is 960 shipping this summer with a speed of about 10sec per charge at an accuracy of 0.02gr. Now that's what I would call fast and accurate.

Anyone here use any of these or even the FX120i?

Maybe I will buy it in pieces since that's always an option too. Scale itself is on sale for 500 shipped with coupon code CAMBRIDGE

James

Dang, .02gr accuracy. One stick of some of the longer stick powders seems like it would make that difficult to do. Personally I aim for .1 on either side of my target weight, I will never be able to shoot well enough to notice accuracy in .02 or .04 differences. You guys are pros.

I would like an electronic one to save time though. Good luck with your search for the right scale.

I've used the Hornady lock and load automatic dispenser for several years.

I do believe this is a better product though and won't break the bank. Amazon.com : RCBS 98923 Chargemaster Combo Scale/Dispenser : Gunsmithing Tools And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

Regardless, for precision rifle loads I always check the weight on a 2nd scale. Currently I use the Gempro 250 to verify what the other dispensers throw.

I have one of these and love it. Plug it in, zero it out, verify scale with supplied weights, type in your load and hit dispense. Yes it is slower than a thrower, but it is dispensing and weighing at the same time. I've verified dispensed powder on 2 separate scales and they both always read the same.

If you get it, don't forget to cut a piece off a McDonald's straw and put it in the dispenser tube. (Google and YouTube for why. Too much to type on my tablet. :))

:s0155:

Last Edited:
I have three RCBS uniflows mounted on a stand and I'm never going to change........Just sayin
I have one and use it a lot too. It works great with ball powder, and some flake powder. Not so much with stick powders.

I still verify with a scale though even after its set up and properly adjusted.

I verify the first few throws and live dangerous after that......I check about every 50 throws to make sure nothing has moved. I use mine for everything. Even used it on some black powder substitutes once.

I verify the first few throws and live dangerous after that......I check about every 50 throws to make sure nothing has moved. I use mine for everything. Even used it on some black powder substitutes once.
Yes. As I'm sure you're well aware, the throw weight will change as the powder level drops/increases. Even with a baffle installed.

Depending on how anal you are about the exactness of the charge weight, small adjustments may be necessary as the column height varies, even with consistent throw technique.

With rifle loads I try to stay within .02-.04gr consistency. For 9mm charges, not so much :D

I have one and use it a lot too. It works great with ball powder, and some flake powder. Not so much with stick powders.

I still verify with a scale though even after its set up and properly adjusted.
Exactly why im looking for something better. Stick powders are horrible with the uniflo. Even with the baffle. Only ever get 1 or 2 actual perfect loads per 50rd tray. Ball and flake no problem. I can throw a thousand rounds and everything is spot in. Doing ball or flake I utilize AQL sampling with C=0. What that means for others is let's say I throw 100rds. I douvle measure 13 random one. Anyone is off by even 0.1 then I remeasure all 100.

I think its gonna be down to the fx120i with the autotrickler v3 or the matchmaster.

James

I had a Chargemaster, older version. It's now in the hands of another member here.
It worked great for me, had the problems of being slow and sensitive to temperature (I load in my garage).
I currently use a Hornady LnL Autodispenser. I think it was $175 on sale at Cabelas.
I've looked at the hornady ones before and saw a lot of accuracy issues.
The accuracy is a function of the powder and case you are using. Go from using 760 to loading with Retumbo and you're going to have problems. The fix here is program the scale speed, cutoff and trickle modes. A rifle case of 90grs of Retumbo needs very different loading feed technique than a 223. That way you can also improve your loading speeds. I am seldom more than +/- 0.1gr. It beeps for "accuracy" if you're beyond that.
Since learning that, I have not had a single accuracy problem with the LnL.
That said, I don't like it's keypad.

speed of about 10sec per charge at an accuracy of 0.02gr.
Holy Schmokes that's fast!

Holy Schmokes that's fast!
Exactly why I'm waiting for a response if I can buy the scale now and get the rest in a month or so when the rest is released. Otherwise I am thinking I'm gonna wait for this. Ultimate reloader already did a review on it and I'm definitely digging it. Autotrickler.Com.

James

Yes. As I'm sure you're well aware, the throw weight will change as the powder level drops/increases. Even with a baffle installed.
Yes I am but I figure there are so many other variables that affect accuracy that the few tenths of a grain of powder are the least of my worries. I load to duplicate factory accuracy and not target accuracy so I just go for it. If I was trying to load target loads I would surely check each one. I also do other things that would strike horror into the hearts of a target shooter.....
1. I don't sort my brass (but I do check for cracks)
2. I stopped cleaning my brass in the tumbler (It's a waste of time)
3. I don't clean the primer pockets anymore (it never made a difference)
4. I trim brass only when it gives me chambering problems. (I feel some guilt for that one)
5. I use mixed brands of primers at times (but rarely need to) (No guilt)
6. I sometimes use mixed brands of bullets if they're the same weight (a little guilt but I take it into consideration on groups)
7. If the brass is dented after sizing I load it and shoot it as if it was normal (It's amazing how quickly those dents go away)
8. I will use 50 year old powder as if I just bought it a week ago. (I did dump out about 5 lbs of WW2 era 4831 that started to stink)

I know some of you have just fallen off your chairs right now and checking your pacemakers for function but it really hasn't made much of a difference in accuracy. At least not enough to get me worried about using them to hunt with. For target shooting I don't have to impress anyone (and I'm sure I don't) but if I did I would take better care of my brass but I usually shoot alone so it's between me and the squirrels to see my group size and the squirrels ain't talking........
I'm fully aware all these things (and other things) will have some effect but I figure life's too short to worry about it.

OK I just got up from a quick nap and decided I'm going the autotrickler route. I can order the FX120i itself right now for 500$ shipped and get the rest when it release. I hope. If I decide to continue throwing my own atleast I have a scale accurate to +/- 0.02gr. Will order the scale first thing Monday morning. Maybe I can talk autotrickler into loaning me their v2 until the V3 releases and exchanging it. Who knows. Doesn't hurt to ask

Thanks
James

I have a story about dented cases. I loaded up some of the worst .223 cases I could find in my range pickup can. (about 20 of them). They were atrocious to say the least. Some had been driven over several times and the necks were often totally squashed down. I wasn't sure if I could save some of them but with a screwdriver and some elbow grease I was able to get them opened up and good enough to go into the sizing die. After sizing them they had dents everywhere and some really serious ones but I went ahead and loaded them all up and put them in one 20 round magazine to test. I had to reduce the load just slightly on a few to get the powder to go in the case far enough for the bullet to be seated without crushing the powder. I took them out and shot them in my AR-15 and with my surprise every single one of fired and functioned as if it was all new factory ammo. I was shocked, so from then on I totally ignored dented cases as long as the powder will fit into it. (And just like magic all the dents were now gone) LOL True story.

Depending on how anal you are about the exactness of the charge weight, small adjustments may be necessary as the column height varies, even with consistent throw technique.

With rifle loads I try to stay within .02-.04gr consistency. For 9mm charges, not so much :D
Dammnnn bro gnats arse:eek:. I don't do a ton of precision rifle stuff these days how do you even test for differences in performance with that minute of a difference in charge?

Dammnnn bro gnats arse:eek:. I don't do a ton of precision rifle stuff these days how do you even test for differences in performance with that minute of a difference in charge?
If it can make a difference in my mind, it'll make a difference on paper. If I'm 100% confident that each cartridge has the exact same amount of powder in it, I won't doubt it when launching them downrange.

It's a confidence in the product type of thing I guess you could say. And I have seen .2gr make a very noticeable difference on paper with certain cartridges.

Just my process and parameters. Doesn't necessarily work for anyone else.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top