Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Ebola Information - Post here (NO POLITICS, NO JOKES, NO FUD)

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by AMProducts, Oct 7, 2014.

1. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

Hey guys, there are more than a few threads on ebola going on, much of it consists of commentary, blame, and jokes. While I think there needs to be an outlet for these things, existing threads already meet these needs. However for those of us who are looking for actual information, we have to weed through the junk.

So if you have some actual information, a real case report, or some other information, post it here. If you have a joke, a comment, use one of the other threads for it.

2. AMProducts

Washington Post has some updated information about possible means of spreading. While there are some of the obvious things (touching contaminated blood, and then sticking your hand in your mouth, eyes, nose or ears) there is some additional information about what is "contaminated material".

3. maxisback

maxisback Western Washington Member

Not sure of the Washington Post article is misinformation, information control, or just bad information. I found this...

According to the Center for Aerobiological Sciences, U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases at Fort Detrick, Maryland:

(1) Ebola has an aerosol stability that is comparable to Influenza-A

(2) Much like Flu, Airborne Ebola transmissions need Winter type conditions to maximize Aerosol infection

“Filoviruses, which are classified as Category A Bioterrorism Agents by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Atlanta, GA), have stability in aerosol form comparable to other lipid containing viruses such as influenza A virus, a low infectious dose by the aerosol route (less than 10 PFU) in NHPs, and case fatality rates as high as ~90% .”

“The mode of acquisition of viral infection in index cases is usually unknown. Secondary transmission of filovirus infection is typically thought to occur by direct contact with infected persons or infected blood or tissues. There is no strong evidence of secondary transmission by the aerosol route in African filovirus outbreaks. However, aerosol transmission is thought to be possible and may occur in conditions of lower temperature and humidity which may not have been factors in outbreaks in warmer climates [13]. At the very least, the potential exists for aerosol transmission, given that virus is detected in bodily secretions, the pulmonary alveolar interstitial cells, and within lung spaces”

Its clear that when Ebola is in the air it is at least as hardy as Influenza. Its also clear that coughing and sneezing is what makes Influenza airborne; the same should be expected of Ebola.

FWIW, I wont plan on bunkering down until the gov't says we have no reason to panic...uh, wait, they already said that, didn't they?:confused:

4. 7SFCW4

7SFCW4 Out and About, Oregon Active Member

Over at GuerillAmerica, forums, search for "Stable Phantom" Sam is crowd sourcing OSINT related to the emerging threat.

5. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

AMProducts likes this.
  6. 7SFCW4

Rick, is this serious? NPR, reporting all is well?

7. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

All is not well. In fact, Things are way bad, except in one place.
    Firestone Tire Co has a 185 square mile rubber plantation inside Liberia.
    http://online.wsj.com/articles/liberian-rubber-farm-becomes-sanctuary-against-ebola-1412629331
    "The workers and their families make up a community of 80,000 people across the plantation."
    In March, when Ebola began to spread, the plantation isolated itself and instituted strict controls. http://allafrica.com/stories/201404040742.html
    "as the worst Ebola outbreak ever recorded rages all around them, Firestone appears to have blocked the virus from spreading inside its territory."

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  8. rick benjamin

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  9. AMProducts

Also, in the case of stories or press releases, please post a link to the article, and the article with any attribution in a quote block.

Good link thus far. Direct Link: http://guerrillamerica.com/exercise-stable-phantom/

Stable phantom seems a bit large and seems to be going constant amendments.

Also another valuable link for "all hazards information"

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php

10. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Just for the local perspective, in case anyone is wondering what us healthcare people are doing.

We are getting regular updates from the Oregon Health Authority. Most recent update includes risk assessment. For example, there are no direct flights into Oregon from the affected countries. There are protocols at PDX for rapid isolation and evaluation of sick patients. We have rapid testing protocols with the CDC and specific reporting protocols if there are any suspected cases.

Then my hospital system in Portland has new workflows for questioning on travel history from the front staff up. (Downside, is if you get the flu and go to a Portland hospital, a bunch of people will probably ask your travel history over and over). These are the kind of required workflows where if you dont ask these questions to a sick patient your job is at risk so we should see good compliance with staff.

So basically, whole staff education and preparedness so that it makes it much less likely we will miss a case if it happens to show up here.

And I still think my chances of getting killed by a patient cranked up on meth because I dont give them a pile of oxy's is still way higher then getting ebola

NWmed83 and whiskeybill like this.
  11. 7SFCW4

Notes from an Army buddy, and USAMRIID alumni:

Ebola and all it's varients like zaiere etc, is a self limiting disease. In a static human environment like a village in Africa where no one travels more than a few miles and with no outside contacts, it will burn through the populace and die out. The onset is rapid and the time frame where it is communicable is parallel pretty much to the time frame that the patient is flat on his back bleeding out. Those flat on their backs are not going anywhere to infect others and human nature is to stay away from those in this condition. Conversely with air travel a patient who is just barely showing signs of infection can board a flight and with the rapid onset time of the disease arrive in a clean zone and rapidly become a " patient zero " in a new country. With all the media I am sure you know all this already. What the CDC people want to create is a stop gap of time. with this stopgap in place and the known fact that ebola will burn itself out quickly, this firewall of time will stop indigenous vectors from infecting others and they can then concentrate on stopping inbound vectors. It is like with the life cycle of the flea. if you poison them throughout the timeline of one life cycle they stop existing as there are no breeding parents alive, and the newborns are hatched into a poison environment and die out, ergo, no one to lay an egg so the flea meets his waterloo in the timeframe of one life cycle. What I see happening that worries me is he return of missionaries to facilities that are not 100% equipped to contain the contagion. ie no HEPA filtration and proper disposal of infectious waste. The waste needs to be autoclaved, as do the bodies that don't survive. autoclaves big enough for this are far and few between. Our borders are so porous though that the vectors could be a person coming illegally into this country also. The worry there would be that any exposures to others would be not reported until the patient is near death or dead. With that time frame extended thus due to the secretive nature of illegal immigration, the array of secondary and beyond exposures multiply at rates too frightening to contemplate. With the military going to send troops over to help in large numbers, it is opening us up to exposure on a much larger scale. All those who deploy should go through a 21 day quarantine in a remote location before rejoining their families. Another worry is the infection of animals not indigenous to Africa. Some virus mutate while in an animal host and only then become virulent to humans. Rift valley fever does this. you could eat the stuff in it's virgin form with no issues, but get near an infected cow and you are a goner. There are so many animals here in the states different from those in Africa that I have to wonder if this might come into play. All of this I have written is just my opinions and I am just a no one with little knowledge of medicine. I would not disseminate it to any one else in case I am wrong on any thing. I don't hear from anyone I worked with at USAMRIID. Most are retired.

12. AMProducts

Bolus,

The biggest issue with Ebola so far is the "I don't know factor", CDC, and public health depts have been very lax in disseminating information such as what's contained in this post to the public at large. Which is leading to calls of incompetence. A "don't worry about it" in the face of a disease that even has a 10% mortality rate is alarming, however an exotic disease that there is no cultural awareness of (people avoid transmitting the flu by staying home from work, handwashing, covering their face.) that also has a mortality and morbidity rate of 60% is terrifying.

One of the major concerns I have is what's happening right now in africa and why we're seeing people showing up in the US with ebola. That is, if someone fears they may be contaminated, or is already contaminated but doesn't know it and "squirts" trying to avoid the fate of those around them, this could easily spread the virus to other places in the world that have similar problems with hygiene the virus could again find fertile ground much closer to our shores, as others have pointed out. While I agree that it's a lower but more abstract threat, than many of the more common diseases we may be exposed to, by comparison measles and complications can have fatality rates as high as 30% on the other hand, most of us are already vaccinated against it and as long as you stay away from places with high immigrant populations, or large numbers of unvaccinated individuals it's much less of an issue. However, there is no vaccine for ebola, at least yet.

CDC "Signs and Symptoms" of Ebola infection http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/symptoms/index.html
    Recommended PPE for handling Patients and Contaminated Materials (various sources):
    OSHA Guidelines for decontamination:
    https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHA_FS-3756.pdf

CDC Poster for putting on your PPE:
    http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/pdf/ppe-poster.pdf

CDC Guidance for handling of human remains:
    http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/hcp/gu...s-ebola-patients-us-hospitals-mortuaries.html

13. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Just like you posted, the information is out there and easily found on the web. I dont recommend anyone get their information from news. They are there to make a profit, not inform anyone with correct information. I've never seen a news story that was completely correct with medical information. They are just not trust worthy when your health or lives are on the line.

14. AMProducts

So to give some updates on a few things I've been looking into are PPE and decontamination procedures, both for people and for "contaminated material". Somewhat alarmingly there seem to be relatively few sources for this information.

PPE:

What I do know, is the yellow suits are relatively standard Dupont Tychem suits, Uvex lab goggles and tyvek hoods as well as N95 masks seem to be the most common.

In the cleanup cases (shown here http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/10/15/ebola-protective-gear/17307415/) a variety of full-face respirators are worn, most likely using N95 or N99 filters. Most of the ones I've seen are the relatively conventional 3m 6 and 7000 series respirators.

As far as gloves, double gloving seems to be the standard (makes removing PPE easier), I havn't found any specifics, but nitrile or latex gloves seem to be acceptable. (4-8mil thickness)

Rubber boots are standard for the feet. I have seen some people using tyvek covers, however according to most of the manufacturer documentation, tyvek is not recommended for wet environments as there is a high incidence of bleed through. This is why tychem is recommended.

Decontamination:

So far information is rather limited, but a .5% bleach solution is recommend for decon, that is normal household bleach 1gal to 10gal water. I havn't found any other recommendations as of yet. There is also limited information available for decontaminating personnel, both with and without PPE.

It seems to me, that a bleach shower followed by a clean water shower would be the preferred method for decontaminating personnel, however I havn't found any recommendations that are this specific.

http://time.com/3509980/ebola-protection-mistakes/

15. AMProducts

Attached Files:

16. rick benjamin

17. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  18. AMProducts

I'll take good news whenever I can find it. However, I tend to expect the worst, hope for the best. I'll be honest, pandemic ebola is right up there next to global thermonuclear war on my "bad things" list. For a long time, that possibility seemed so remote as to be laughable. With the major outbreak in west africa, and people showing up in the states with the disease the possibilities engendered have taken hops skips and jumps closer to reality.

19. Barefoot African

Barefoot African Saint Helens Oregon Active Member

The moment the hospitals started treating this as the level 4 disease it is, and using full suit, respirator and buddy decontamination, they had it wupped.

Now if we can get the media to get back to politics as usual we can get back to being a -->

Which stands for:

R eady

A rmed

T rained

I nformed

O rganized

N on-Conformist

A nti-extremist

L iberty-minded

I nclusive

S ecure

T eam

MikeE likes this.
  20. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter