JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I grew up in the SF bay area and been through my share of earthquakes and the Portland/ Vancouver area according to geologists is due for a big one anytime now so here's some tips I learned the hard way.

1. it's a "bug in" scenario don't expect to be able to travel but in the event that your home gets red flagged by the city have a 72hr bag ready with cash (most likely power will be out).

2. Keep shoes and a flashlight by your bed walking through broken glass "die hard" style is no fun.

3. If you can fill up your bathtub or have an emergency water supply ready and easy to get too. (if the water lines aren't already damaged the aftershocks might do them in)

4. be prepared for looters it can and will happen if it's bad enough have a proper escalation of force ready. My garden was raided by a neighbor down the street.

5. A emergency toilet and lime powder comes in handy. The 5 Gallon style works fine.

6. Local emergency services will be temporarily unresponsive have a fire extinguisher and medical supplies on hand especially splints.

7. battery powered radio.

8. during the quake all standard rules apply (stand in a door way under a desk ect.) helmets also come in handy.

9. If your in the National Guard or any reserve component be on standby you will get a call.

Anyways I hope this rambling helps some of you out and to others I'm sure you've heard this before feel free too add any advice from experience or common sense. Stay safe.

"You Shook Me" Led Zeppelin!

We're pretty good for 'quakes, we have a nine man tent, bags, mats, rugs and hygiene gear in the garage (a damaged garage is easier and safer to bust into than a damaged house). A heater and Kero, food, water and firepower. Pretty much every thing we need to get buy. I also keep enough pioneer tools, in my truck or concealed, to bust through a wall or roof if I need access to a damaged building. We've been preparing for a big 'quake for decades.

I always liked that "Reggae" song "Day After Day"....:p

Day after day, more people come to LA
Don't you know everybody, the whole place slipping away
Where will will we go, when there's no San Diego
Better get ready to tie up the boat in Idaho......:eek::eek::eek:

Great info/input. I hate quakes.
One thing many Alaskans do is to have an unattached outbuilding or such stocked with survival gear/goods, complete with installed woodstove in case the main building gets fubar'd especially during a raging blizzard. knock on wood.

Local phone lines may be down or overloaded. Long distance lines may still be up. If you can't get a hold of your someone locally, call long distance to someone else and have them call your intended phone number with a message.

So having ridden out quite a few earthquakes growing up in socal. For those of you living in a stick framed house:

Shoes are good, but unless you've got a massive bottle collection, glass is usually not an issue, the lights being out and other random sharp things thrown from shelves are usually the issue. The big issue for most people is stuff over the bed, like book cases, large photo frames and the like, these will kill you. A flashlight is a perennial must.

Food and Water - yep, you should have some. As for filling the bathtub, I'm kinda mild on this idea, mostly because this is why I have 550gals of water barrels. Plus, it won't slosh out during subsequent quakes. However, in many cases, you can use the water in your bathtub to flush your toilet.

Looting happens, but usually only after evacuation.

If you have a yard, and your house is red-tagged, have a large tent (or several) It's just like camping in the back yard.

Toilets - some people like lime, I prefer kitty litter. Be sure to have lots of hand wipes.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top