Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Earthquake advice from CA

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by waltt, May 23, 2015.

1. waltt

waltt United States Member

I grew up in the SF bay area and been through my share of earthquakes and the Portland/ Vancouver area according to geologists is due for a big one anytime now so here's some tips I learned the hard way.

1. it's a "bug in" scenario don't expect to be able to travel but in the event that your home gets red flagged by the city have a 72hr bag ready with cash (most likely power will be out).

2. Keep shoes and a flashlight by your bed walking through broken glass "die hard" style is no fun.

3. If you can fill up your bathtub or have an emergency water supply ready and easy to get too. (if the water lines aren't already damaged the aftershocks might do them in)

4. be prepared for looters it can and will happen if it's bad enough have a proper escalation of force ready. My garden was raided by a neighbor down the street.

5. A emergency toilet and lime powder comes in handy. The 5 Gallon style works fine.

6. Local emergency services will be temporarily unresponsive have a fire extinguisher and medical supplies on hand especially splints.

7. battery powered radio.

8. during the quake all standard rules apply (stand in a door way under a desk ect.) helmets also come in handy.

9. If your in the National Guard or any reserve component be on standby you will get a call.

Anyways I hope this rambling helps some of you out and to others I'm sure you've heard this before feel free too add any advice from experience or common sense. Stay safe.

2. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Sound advice!

BoonDocks36, U201491 and waltt like this.
  3. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

4. MilitantBEEMER

MilitantBEEMER Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

5. Sstrand

Sstrand La Grande OR Well-Known Member

And . . . on your MP3 player . . . a copy of Big Bill Turner's "Shake, Rattle, and Roll!!!!"

Sheldon

waltt likes this.
  6. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

"You Shook Me" Led Zeppelin!

We're pretty good for 'quakes, we have a nine man tent, bags, mats, rugs and hygiene gear in the garage (a damaged garage is easier and safer to bust into than a damaged house). A heater and Kero, food, water and firepower. Pretty much every thing we need to get buy. I also keep enough pioneer tools, in my truck or concealed, to bust through a wall or roof if I need access to a damaged building. We've been preparing for a big 'quake for decades.

salmonriverjohn likes this.
  7. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

What? No REM, ITEOTWAWKI? :eek:

8. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I always liked that "Reggae" song "Day After Day"....:p

Day after day, more people come to LA
    Don't you know everybody, the whole place slipping away
    Where will will we go, when there's no San Diego
    Better get ready to tie up the boat in Idaho......:eek::eek::eek:

9. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Great info/input. I hate quakes.
    One thing many Alaskans do is to have an unattached outbuilding or such stocked with survival gear/goods, complete with installed woodstove in case the main building gets fubar'd especially during a raging blizzard. knock on wood.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  10. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Know where and how to shut-off your electricity, gas, and water.

11. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Local phone lines may be down or overloaded. Long distance lines may still be up. If you can't get a hold of your someone locally, call long distance to someone else and have them call your intended phone number with a message.

12. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

I prefer the oldies Wipe Out.

13. Sstrand

Sstrand La Grande OR Well-Known Member

How about Carole King's "I Feel the Earth Move Under My Feet!>!>!>!"

Sheldon

Capn Jack likes this.
  14. Skier

Skier Beaverton/Washington County Active Member

That's the song they always had at the OMSI earthquake simulator. :)

Capn Jack likes this.
  15. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

So having ridden out quite a few earthquakes growing up in socal. For those of you living in a stick framed house:

Shoes are good, but unless you've got a massive bottle collection, glass is usually not an issue, the lights being out and other random sharp things thrown from shelves are usually the issue. The big issue for most people is stuff over the bed, like book cases, large photo frames and the like, these will kill you. A flashlight is a perennial must.

Food and Water - yep, you should have some. As for filling the bathtub, I'm kinda mild on this idea, mostly because this is why I have 550gals of water barrels. Plus, it won't slosh out during subsequent quakes. However, in many cases, you can use the water in your bathtub to flush your toilet.

Looting happens, but usually only after evacuation.

If you have a yard, and your house is red-tagged, have a large tent (or several) It's just like camping in the back yard.

Toilets - some people like lime, I prefer kitty litter. Be sure to have lots of hand wipes.