Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Earth Quake???? wilsonville

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by jmurray192, Sep 7, 2012.

1. jmurray192

jmurray192 wilsonville oregon Active Member

Ether my intire building is not built right or we just had a small earth quake? I live on top floor everything shook for about 3 secs. :paranoid:

2. Grunwald

Grunwald Out of that nut job colony of Seattle, WA Well-Known Member

I live a spitball away from I5 and never know if it's a quake or an heavy 18 wheeler driving by.

3. simpleguy

simpleguy Clackamas Active Member

Apparently a 3.4 out of Mollala

4. jmurray192

jmurray192 wilsonville oregon Active Member

Recent earthquakes
    earthquake.usgs.gov

Time
    Magnitude
    Oregon
    Map

Yep here it is havent been in one for awhile

5. 142

142 Rogue Valley Member

Felt it in Tigard. Minor rumble.

6. Studio BK

Studio BK Tualatin, OR Active Member

At about 10pm I thought I heard a strange sound. 10 seconds later my wife says, "what was that, did you feel that?!" I didn't feel it though I heard something that sounded like possibly our building (condo) settling. Sure enough, epicenter was in Molalla, 3.2. Warning shots for the big one? Sure hope not!

7. Mohawk13

Mohawk13 Home on The Range Active Member

Nope. Didn't feel it. So Long Suckers......

nwwoodsman and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Dinged

Dinged Portland, OR Active Member

Nothing here in NoPo, but I'm probably too far away to feel anything.

9. Cuthbert Allgood

Cuthbert Allgood Clark County, WA Well-Known Member

i felt something as i was sitting in my tractor-trailer at the super 8 in grants pass. it made the truck jump a little! i got outside and ran around the truck and trailer to make sure nothing came loose, or was going to tip over.

10. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

yep my house in Silverton just barely shuddered. Much like when a really good blast of wind hits the huge south wall. We went through the Spring Break Quake 5.6 (centered in the same area) and the only thing I have ever found that was due to the quake was a couple of vertical cracks in the paint where two walls meet at a 90 in the kitchen. The walls there are particle board.

11. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

I felt it here in Tigard as well. I was sitting in bed and I felt the shaking for about ten seconds total.

12. CrossHairs

CrossHairs Tigard Active Member

Just settled into bed when we heard a sound and the house moved. Thought it was the misses shaking the bed until she asked if I had "felt that?"

13. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Portlander here, I spent several years in SoCal and felt many quakes there. Sometimes being on the upper floor of a structure can really amplify the wobble. What moves a couple inches on the ground might produce extra flex and sway a few stories up. I swear I heard nails squeaking in the frame of my house in San Diego more than once.

Then the trick for me, in the middle of the night, is to try to go back to sleep after a shaker. Was it a tiny local one? Or maybe it was a humongous catastrophe 1000 miles away and we're feeling it way out on the 10th ring from the bullseye? The internet is cool because we can find out pretty quickly where it was and how intense. Then because we're wide awake we can look for guns and stuff online!

Major quakes coming? Who knows? I'll take my chances anywhere, anytime, on the west coast over those tornadoes and hurricanes in the east.

14. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

Think of it as a reminder to be prepared, where you might need to be self-sustaining for up to four weeks.

Peter

15. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

was there really a quake??

I didn't feel a thing ..

16. Ownerus

Ownerus South Clackamas Co. Active Member

Near Molalla, just felt a single "thump", not even a second of duration. Two in the house felt it, two didn't notice. Hopefully it's a little stress reliever helping forestall the "big" one.

Studio BK and (deleted member) like this.
  17. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

18. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman Vernonia Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

If "the big one" hits the NW you're gonna need more than that. Think of how commerce will be disrupted if the bridges fall. Nothing moving up i-5 or 84, busted up rail road tracks, and even in Portland one side will be cut off from the other. Bridges, roads, and tracks take a long time repair

19. knuckle Head

knuckle Head southeast Well-Known Member

I have to agree four weeks would not be enough in my opinion for long term, but since most people do not have more than 3 days or 1 week at most, it would be an excellent start.

I suggest you do the four week project as pointed out and then build on it, thats how I started, 2 weeks, four weeks, 90 days, 6 months and now except for a reliable water and long term energy source I am set.

ATCclears and (deleted member) like this.