JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When flying with firearms I have always taken later flights. I figure it gives me extra time should something happen, and at PDX they always open your suitcase and look through it.

I would like to start taking much earlier flights-like leaving between 5:00am and 7:00am. Has anyone done this when flying with firearms? Any problems? Does it leave enough time to get through the process, or am I better off sticking with later but less convenient flights?

Milady, one presumes that you are using appropriate hard sided, three lock hard plastic cases, locked with three non-TSA locks, w/firearms holstered with slides back, without mags inserted, mags unloaded, and SD ammo is in original container or commerical plastic boxes, all to transport your handgun(s) with you during travels?

If so, I am personally unaware of any difficulty traveling out of PDX on any flight that suits you. I personally show up at the aeroline's ticket handling a minimum of two hours before flight time, go to the first class line [and I fly economy] and tell the attendant I require special handling because of the firearms I am transporting.

Then I put my best smile on and endure the routine of the day to get my luggage checked in. [once the attendant screamed at the top of her lungs "YOU'RE CARRYING FIREARMS" and insisted I open my locked case in front of all the awaiting passengers and show her the habdguns were unloaded].

Now, that stated I refrain traveling eastbound w/handguns during inclement weather just in case I could be inadvertantly routed to NY's airfield(s) where I would be arrested for unlicensed firearms.

I hope this assists your decision making on flight times. If further info is required hollar. Safe travels.

Then I put my best smile on and endure the routine of the day to get my luggage checked in. [once the attendant screamed at the top of her lungs "YOU'RE CARRYING FIREARMS" and insisted I open my locked case in front of all the awaiting passengers and show her the habdguns were unloaded].

:), one of the last times I tried to check a gun through this happened to me. It was a guy who was not even the agent I was dealing with. As soon as he heard me say I have a gun I am checking through he started in. Loud enough for everyone one to hear, "you can't fly with a gun". He then started in telling all workers in ear shot "this guy wants to take a gun on the plane. He got the agent trying to deal with me so flustered they called for the guy working who had a brain. Fortunately for me he was not far away. He stepped in and all was over fast. Loud mouth brain dead one was standing there looking like he had just witnessed something from the Twilight Zone. Soon after that I just started shipping stuff to myself at the place I was going ahead of time. This of course works if you are going to see family.

Stuck on stupid individuals scare me more than being accosted while OC'g by some really STUCK ON STUPID idiot savant
[most recent incident best told while sip'g Irish Death beer]

Stuck on stupid individuals scare me more than being accosted while OC'g by some really STUCK ON STUPID idiot savant
[most recent incident best told while sip'g Irish Death beer]

A Delta ticket counter person insisted I load my magazines before checking my gun. So, in front of everyone, I loaded 5 17-round magazines. Kinda funny in a way. Dont mind me folks, just getting ready to fly.

Milady, one presumes that you are using appropriate hard sided, three lock hard plastic cases, locked with three non-TSA locks, w/firearms holstered with slides back, without mags inserted, mags unloaded, and SD ammo is in original container or commerical plastic boxes, all to transport your handgun(s) with you during travels?

If so, I am personally unaware of any difficulty traveling out of PDX on any flight that suits you. I personally show up at the aeroline's ticket handling a minimum of two hours before flight time, go to the first class line [and I fly economy] and tell the attendant I require special handling because of the firearms I am transporting.

Now, that stated I refrain traveling eastbound w/handguns during inclement weather just in case I could be inadvertantly routed to NY's airfield(s) where I would be arrested for unlicensed firearms.

I hope this assists your decision making on flight times. If further info is required hollar. Safe travels.

Thank you! I remember once catching a very early flight and the counter opened at the last minute so I was worried about having enough time. In PDX TSA opens your suitcase, paws through everything, and swabs it. Just wanted to make sure that leaving early wouldn't be an issue.

So far no attendants have yelled about my firearms. Except for one (who didn't know how to deal with the declaration card) no one has made a big deal out of it. Hope it continues!

A Delta ticket counter person insisted I load my magazines before checking my gun. So, in front of everyone, I loaded 5 17-round magazines. Kinda funny in a way. Dont mind me folks, just getting ready to fly.
usually it's the opposite, they don't want you to fly with loaded mags!

I have never flown with a fire arm. I have thought about it but just afraid of the stupid. I assume that it is like anything that if you do it all the right way it isn't a problem.

I have never flown with a fire arm. I have thought about it but just afraid of the stupid. I assume that it is like anything that if you do it all the right way it isn't a problem.
It's really not a big deal, although there are certain states I would definitely avoid.

LOL, now that I would love to see some close ups of the faces of the people watching.
Sadly it goes to a point I have made ever since the Feds started this check your guns garbage. You end up with mouth breathing morons in charge who "think" they know all the rules and laws. I have no doubt the one who told you the mags had to be loaded really remembered being told in some class that this was law. Suspect it did not take long for her to find out she was doing it all wrong.

The only place I have thought about taking any guns to is Arizona to visit my kids. We go shooting regularly when there.

If you are going to family it's easy to do what I do. Pack them up and ship them. Last day there you pack them up and ship them back. Since I do not fly a lot it's well worth the cost to me. I also took to putting things in the package that are well known theft items. When Computers were still very expensive I would send those this way. Same with expensive camera equipment. Then you can take a carry on with a change of clothes or two in case they lose your luggage, which is way too damn common. Have had family members lose bags several times. At worst they showed up in a day and were delivered to the house. It would make me very leery if one of them had a gun in it and went missing.

As I "try" to tell people for decades. The system is set up to work. It "normally does". I try to warn people to show up hours early though. The problem is every time this comes up there will be multiple posts of people who said they did it and it was a snap. That is how it's supposed to work. So some show up with a :30 time cushion and run into some robot who tells them no. I see people here and other groups saying they print out the laws and rules and will throw their weight around if it happens to them. Trust me this is the worst thing you can do unless you are trying to miss your flight. Making threats to the staff will make them dig their heels in and refuse you. They can no be fired for this. You will win and get the guns on but if the plane left you are just SOL.

Has anyone taken to wearing a body camera when they are anticipating the possibility of dealing with "official" morons? Doubt it would change anything however might provide us with some humorous videos.

As I "try" to tell people for decades. The system is set up to work. It "normally does". I try to warn people to show up hours early though. The problem is every time this comes up there will be multiple posts of people who said they did it and it was a snap. That is how it's supposed to work. So some show up with a :30 time cushion and run into some robot who tells them no. I see people here and other groups saying they print out the laws and rules and will throw their weight around if it happens to them. Trust me this is the worst thing you can do unless you are trying to miss your flight. Making threats to the staff will make them dig their heels in and refuse you. They can no be fired for this. You will win and get the guns on but if the plane left you are just SOL.
That's why I was concerned about early flights. I usually try to fly Southwest and they say their counters are open at least 90 minutes before the first flights. That's actually not a lot of time if you run into issues and also have to go through security and get to the gate 30 minutes before departure.

Hi GlockGal,

About 40 flights a year with firearms for me. Yes, leaving early can be a little more challenging. At PDX the south TSA screening (oversized) where they check firearms opens later. I believe you still have to go to the north one and the airline will call someone to meet you. I try and not get the super early flights because of this. Sometimes don't have a choice, and you can make it work, but it's not as easy as a 0800 flight.

Hopefully you are flying Southwest, they are easy. Honestly, I've never had a significant issue with any of the others at PDX, only minor hick ups that were worked out calmly. Had a few moderate ones at other airports but I haven't been arrested...yet! lol

When flying out of Sea-Tac, I always take the first flight out, typically 6:00 or thereabouts ... I get to the airport early, and easily clear the TSA flying with firearm check. SouthWest and Alaska are the champs, for sure.

Hi GlockGal,

About 40 flights a year with firearms for me. Yes, leaving early can be a little more challenging. At PDX the south TSA screening (oversized) where they check firearms opens later. I believe you still have to go to the north one and the airline will call someone to meet you. I try and not get the super early flights because of this. Sometimes don't have a choice, and you can make it work, but it's not as easy as a 0800 flight.

Hopefully you are flying Southwest, they are easy. Honestly, I've never had a significant issue with any of the others at PDX, only minor hick ups that were worked out calmly. Had a few moderate ones at other airports but I haven't been arrested...yet! lol

Thank you! I always try to fly Southwest. I was concerned about TSA not being open at the oversized area that early. Good to know there is a secondary location. Sounds like if I keep to no early than 8:00 there won't be any problems, and before that, it should go well but the odds are increased of problems happening. They have some good deals on the super early (5:00-7:00 am flights) that I would like to take advantage of, but it might not be worth the risk of something going wrong.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top