JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I imagine the percentage has to do with disability rating for VA disability payments/etc.

As for PTSD itself - my understanding is it comes in many forms, just as with any other mental health issue. Most people who have mental health issues are not a danger to anybody, including themselves. The symptoms do not have to include being violent.

PTSD can be caused by many different kinds of traumatic events - an accident (I would not drive in the rain for months after I had a bad car wreck in the rain), or being assaulted (would you advise someone who had been raped to give up their gun?) or any number of other events.

It is something handled on a case by case basis. It is up to the health care professional and the patient to decide whether they are a danger to anyone and whether they should not have access to firearms or not.

Option C...for now.

Sadly, our country is seeing an increase in the number of Vets with PTSD. They absolutely deserve our respect and every bit of help we can give them. However, the overwhelming majority of them are non violent. And to date...to the best of my knowledge...there has not been an instance where the government has removed weapons simply for a diagnosis of PTSD. If and when that happens, I can only hope the response from both the veteran and gun community is swift and overwhelming.

So I would sit tight and monitor things. I'd also lay low, of course. By that I mean your friend shouldn't share his diagnosis with acquaintances, friends, and even removed family members who aren't pro gun and/or who don't know much about PTSD. There's no need to invite a possible headache into your life from an idiot.

Also as a general rule I do not discuss owning firearms with ANYONE in the medical profession and particularly counselors, therapists, etc. It's nobody's damn business but mine.

And btw, the next time some idiot doctor tries to talk to you about the dangers of firearms ownership, ask the doctor if he knows how many people are killed by medical malpractice each year (over 250K according to Johns Hopkins) and why isn't he advising you on the dangers of walking through his door? Then tell him to shut the hell up.

The basis of the question is pretty shaky as the gov't doesn't establish records for gun ownership like they do for land or motor vehicles. So, there's no way to transfer ownership. The various legal infringements (gun laws) in place deal with possession.

If the feds decide to disarm him there's no magic "no they're not mine" deed that he could possibly use to avoid the confiscation.

On the other hand, being in Oregon there's no master list of the non-NFA guns he owns, so there's always the shovel/shut up option.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top