JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Scenario (asking for a friend): Former Army with mental health disability of say 70% PTSD. Has several semi auto weapons; AK's, AR's, hand guns, etc., in his name. With what happened in SoCal, he may be a lil nervous about attracting attention because the amount of firepower in possession. He would like to keep them in his house because he is an avid shooting enthusiast. He is not dangerous but will protect himself and family. He also has a CCW.

If you were in his shoes, what would you do?

A - transfer into your wife's name? Not sure that would even matter. BTW his wife is an immigrant with green card (legality issue?).
B - transfer them into a relatives name?
C - don't do a damn thing?
D - A better suggestion would be????

Lives in Oregon. Hope to have a good talk. Thank you.

Last Edited:
Id say E: Consult a Lawyer, with the new laws proposed next legislative session what is done today may indeed
draw attention tomorrow.
I am not sure However what is he wanting to do? Just possess a firearm and not see a future hassle, I was not sure the motive, or direction he is looking for ?

( side note, this is your second post since 2009? )

Scenario (asking for a friend): Former Army with mental health disability of say 70% PTSD. Has several semi auto weapons; AK's, AR's, hand guns, etc., in his name. With what happened in SoCal, he may be a lil nervous about attracting attention because the amount of firepower in possession. He would like to keep them in his house because he is an avid shooting enthusiast. He is not dangerous but will protect himself and family. He also has a CCW.

If you were in his shoes, what would you do?

A - transfer into your wife's name? Not sure that would even matter. BTW his wife is an immigrant with green card (legality issue?).
B - transfer them into a relatives name?
C - don't do a damn thing?
D - A better suggestion would be????

Lives in Oregon. Hope to have a good talk. Thank you.

This is a test right?
Two Posts. And your asking this.

OK. What anti-gun organization are you with? :cool:

Last Edited:
70% PTSD and he's not dangerous?

I have a friend who's "rights" were revoked in CA because he was talking with a mental health doctor. He was met by DOJ, BATFE and local PD watched. All his firearms were removed from the home. His wife had to go to the local PD and fill out transfer paperwork so they would be released into her name. Yes, $35 bucks for EACH firearm. They are out of his name now which i guess is ok wih all law enforcement agencies.

With your friends spouse being a green card holder, that may cause an issue.

As mentioned, speaking with an attorney may be is best option.

OP, what is your "gut" feeling? If you aren't comfortable with them possessing firearms then it's best to get them out. If he's depressed he may hurt himself. Where does this 70% number come from? I thought you had it or didn't.

Random thoughts:

• I don't know the answer in this scenario and agree with the rest to consult an attorney, because this could be dicey.
  • Concerning legal aliens and residents, the ATF has a handy Q&A here. However, you mentioned she had a "green card", and this particular one is more germane to said status. But I'd still consult an attorney concerning her rights, were she is in the immigration process, et al.
  • Two posts in ten years? That is good mileage. (Just joking. Glad you started.)
Best wishes. :)

Id say E: Consult a Lawyer, with the new laws proposed next legislative session what is done today may indeed
draw attention tomorrow.
I am not sure However what is he wanting to do? Just possess a firearm and not see a future hassle, I was not sure the motive, or direction he is looking for ?

( side note, this is your second post since 2009? )
He is not want

I'm not trolling. No test. I don't ask a lot of questions. I'm not real active here, as you pointed out wisely. If the question is out of line, I will remove.

I knew it was a dumb scenario. Apologize.

I promise, there are vets out there with this very same concern.

I'm not trolling. No test. I don't ask a lot of questions. I'm not real active here, as you pointed out wisely. If the question is out of line, I will remove.

I knew it was a dumb scenario. Apologize.

I promise, there are vets out there with this very same concern.
It's very responsible to reach out on a potentially very serious situation. If perhaps this person is yourself or anything feel free to PM me or any other member for help. We are like family here and are always willing to help someone in need.

It's very responsible to reach out on a potentially very serious situation. If perhaps this person is yourself or anything feel free to PM me or any other member for help. We are like family here and are always willing to help someone in need.
You are right
Agreed. Definitely, no cry for help question. Dude I'm asking for, always asking for advice. I didn't have a good answer honestly. Trust me, it's all good.

I'm sorry, shades of 'red flag' intrusive behaviour being exhibited, especially over hypothetical & possibly bogus scenario where the firearm owner has possession of their legally purchased firearms but "SAY" 70%...

sorry "say" really. Last i checked those affected have an exact percentage.

The comparison to the OP's hypothetical scenario presented with the after thought..."oh he lives in OR" to an incident in CA isn't even worth the breath to explain why.

As you might be able to tell, the pervailing mentality of 'red flag' are wrong and shouldn't have been considered let alone implemented within our society's judicial purview.

Bottom line, unless there is a clear and obvious history or current issue of potential violence, no lawyer is needed as this citizen has served his country and deserves the benefit of the doubt they are still in control of their lives!

[sidebar...once again, LE intervened with the shooter in the latest shooting and did absolutely nothing!]

I'm sorry, shades of 'red flag' intrusive behaviour being exhibited, especially over hypothetical & possibly bogus scenario where the firearm owner has possession of their legally purchased firearms but "SAY" 70%...

sorry "say" really. Last i checked those affected have an exact percentage.

The comparison to the OP's hypothetical scenario presented with the after thought..."oh he lives in OR" to an incident in CA isn't even worth the breath to explain why.

As you might be able to tell, the pervailing mentality of 'red flag' are wrong and shouldn't have been considered let alone implemented within our society's judicial purview.

Bottom line, unless there is a clear and obvious history or current issue of potential violence, no lawyer is needed as this citizen has served his country and deserves the benefit of the doubt they are still in control of their lives!

[sidebar...once again, LE intervened with the shooter in the latest shooting and did absolutely nothing!]

I have to admit, this is a good post. And the poster and I have a bit of "history".

But in this case, he's spot on.

interesting, now they say you have a percentage for PTSD. How do you get partially traumatized.
Coming from the Nam era, I understand the concept of PTSD, My ole man had it from WWII & Korea.
I drank for 25 years, so dont really know if I had it or not.
I have to go run further into the cascades and talk to some brethren and see if they are only half traumatized.

The Dude is not stable regardless. His stuff needs to be out of his reach until he gets a grip on being back in the world.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top