JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
First thing I would tell you is to tell your friend to stop referring to his pain medication that was lawfully prescribed for a legitimate reason as an "addiction" It very well might be but at this point his saying so is the only thing that establishes it as such. Addiction is a bad word

Opiates are habit forming, everyone knows this. Needing help to ween off of a prescribed and once necessary pain killer is not illegal or even reason to be ashamed. He should be applauded for recognizing he has developed a dependency and talk to the doc that prescribed the medicine to work up a plan to get him off them. That should be job one.

Opiates can be a serious monkey to shed and in some cases medical detox is required. In my opinion the worst thing he could do is act like he is doing something wrong or something he is ashamed of. He needs to tell the doc, do what is recommended and get to work kicking. If he needs detox, then he needs it and he best sign his toukus up. If he does it like an open book and does what the doc says its not "addiction" it is simply being prudent to ween off prescribed pain meds.

Thats my 2 cents

My understanding is that he was cut off several months ago, maybe his doctor will help him taper but it sounds like hes taking more then he should and is experiencing really bad withdrawal when he gets to stop. I can't empathize because I've never been in that situation. I quit cigarettes and that was hard as hell. I can only imagine how much worse it is for him.

I have advanced arthritis in the neck, shoulders, and right knee; moderate arthritis in the hips. Had the left knee replaced several years ago, and I'm getting the right knee replaced in November. Won't do the neck surgery until my hands start to go numb as it's dicey.

I had a prescription to Naproxen [prescription strength Aleve, I think] but never got it refilled; still have half a bottle and don't use it. I take Aleve if I absolutely have to, but it's bad for the liver if taken steadily. I'd describe my arthritic pain as a severe ache; only time I get the sharp stabbing pain is when over-rotating the arms or suddenly turning my neck. I've hurt my back a couple times and that was like getting knifed - which definitely made me empathize with those that have chronic back problems or sciatica.

I did learn after the left knee was replaced that you most certainly need to take the pain medication on the Doctor's schedule. I didn't and figured I'd wait until I needed it. Bad choice. I was yelling at the wife not to come into the room because she was disturbing the air, which made my leg hurt more. Guess that's a clue as to how clearly I was thinking after surgery.

By day five after knee surgery, I quit taking the pain med during the day - just Tylenol and kept ice packs under/on-top of the knee except when doing the prescribed exercises. Did continue to take the prescription pain med at night, or I would have never gotten to sleep.

I've put off the right knee surgery for a year, but the pain is so bad now that despite knowing how it will be post-op and during the rehab, I'm at an end. The weird part is that I'm simultaneously looking forward to the surgery and dreading it. :(

Difficult access to needed pain medication, causing unnecessary pain in a huge population of sufferers, is yet another byproduct of the asinine War on Drugs. Was it so bad when people with cancer could go down to the corner drug store to get a bottle of laudanum? Our ancestors would be flabbergasted by the notion that taking medication could lead to disarming someone.

Difficult access to needed pain medication, causing unnecessary pain in a huge population of sufferers, is yet another byproduct of the asinine War on Drugs. Was it so bad when people with cancer could go down to the corner drug store to get a bottle of laudanum? Our ancestors would be flabbergasted by the notion that taking medication could lead to disarming someone.

Unfortunately there is now a war on happy, well adjusted people, they are the enemy of Big Pharma:eek:

And a war on people who try to take their wellness into their own hands. As someone mentioned above, an herb called kratom (it's a tree that grown in se Asia as well as Hawaii), that has been used successfully by addicts looking to kick their opiate habit for years and years, is now on its way to being re-classified from dietary supplement to schedule 1 narcotic. I know many many former addicts who used this plant to beat their addiction. I've used it for its analgesic properties, for everything from a scratched eyeball to a sprained knee.
This is a supplement that you can buy in head shops and health food stores.
Coincidentally, a few big pharmaceutical companies, including Glaxo smith Kline, filed patents for medications based on the alkaloids in this plant shortly before the DEA announced its plans to turn anyone who posesses this plant into a felon. Hmmmm...
A big wtf to the whole situation!
(Sorry if this is a little off topic)

There's always pot and there is no potential for overdose, as well as it being legal in OR & WA for rec use so there are head shops everywhere.

I swear I see more green cross signs then McDonald's now...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top