JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to pick up a Stevens model 66 .22LR, but want to mount a scope on it. From what I've read it will need to be drilled and tapped. Can anyone recommend a shop in the Portland area that could do this? And what price should I expect to pay? I have one quote at $85 for two holes, this seems like a lot compared to the value of the gun.

Also, any alternative suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks.

$85. may seem like a lot but remember that those holes have to be very precisely drilled and blind hole tapped in an unusual thread size or it'll be difficult/impossible to zero the scope mounted to them. To do it right requires a setup on either a very good/expensive drill press or a milling machine that can cost several thousands of dollars.

Still, it's not the price of the tools needed; it's the precision of the work, and that takes time.

It's got nothing whatever to do with the value of the recipient of the holes. The work is the same on a $50. rifle or on a $4000. rifle.

When the gun is cheap the thing to do is read up and try doing it yourself. Instead of gun threads use a small machine screw size. Buy a tap for maybe 8-32 and use the drill bit size shown on the tap. On a gun receiver you'll need to buy a cobalt drill bit that'll overcome the receiver hardening.

Or shop a few reputable gunsmiths and pay the price to the one who sounds best.

At a bare minimum you need a drill press and a way to securely hold the receiver. The holes MUST be properly aligned with the centerline of the barrel and vertical in relation to the receiver. I don't know of any special "gun" threads. A #4, #5, or #6 NF (fine thread) would probably be best. You'll need a bottoming tap and a non-corrosive cutting fluid. Tap Magic works well on ferrous metals. DON'T use it on aluminum.

I put the Marble's tang sight on this #1 Remington rolling block with a drill press, a machinist's vise, a spirit level, and a #6-40 bottoming tap. It took me a couple hours to do the setup and get up the courage to start drilling on this irreplaceable $3000 gun:

RRBRestore-GunKnifeHatBestsm.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads