JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to pick up a Stevens model 66 .22LR, but want to mount a scope on it. From what I've read it will need to be drilled and tapped. Can anyone recommend a shop in the Portland area that could do this? And what price should I expect to pay? I have one quote at $85 for two holes, this seems like a lot compared to the value of the gun.

Also, any alternative suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks.

$85. may seem like a lot but remember that those holes have to be very precisely drilled and blind hole tapped in an unusual thread size or it'll be difficult/impossible to zero the scope mounted to them. To do it right requires a setup on either a very good/expensive drill press or a milling machine that can cost several thousands of dollars.

Still, it's not the price of the tools needed; it's the precision of the work, and that takes time.

It's got nothing whatever to do with the value of the recipient of the holes. The work is the same on a $50. rifle or on a $4000. rifle.

When the gun is cheap the thing to do is read up and try doing it yourself. Instead of gun threads use a small machine screw size. Buy a tap for maybe 8-32 and use the drill bit size shown on the tap. On a gun receiver you'll need to buy a cobalt drill bit that'll overcome the receiver hardening.

Or shop a few reputable gunsmiths and pay the price to the one who sounds best.

At a bare minimum you need a drill press and a way to securely hold the receiver. The holes MUST be properly aligned with the centerline of the barrel and vertical in relation to the receiver. I don't know of any special "gun" threads. A #4, #5, or #6 NF (fine thread) would probably be best. You'll need a bottoming tap and a non-corrosive cutting fluid. Tap Magic works well on ferrous metals. DON'T use it on aluminum.

I put the Marble's tang sight on this #1 Remington rolling block with a drill press, a machinist's vise, a spirit level, and a #6-40 bottoming tap. It took me a couple hours to do the setup and get up the courage to start drilling on this irreplaceable $3000 gun:

RRBRestore-GunKnifeHatBestsm.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads