Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Dreaming about a Marlin 1894c project...

Reactions
I'd like a Marlin 1894c (.357/.38 lever action rifle) with the following modifications:
- enlarged loop
- 336 style synthetic stock
- barrel and mag tube cut down to 16.25 in
- improved sights, probably a ghost ring rear with tritium front
- all weather finish

What do you think? Do you know where I can get something like this put together for a decent price and/or where I can get the parts to have it done?

OP
emanon
Reactions
The rifle would realistically be primarily for satisfying this itch I have to have a lever-gun in my collection. ;)

Secondarily, I would have it for defensive and general purposes in those places where semi-auto's and other "bad" guns are either a no-go or too much of a legal hassle. I am most interested in this model due to Marlin and the caliber's having very good reputations. I think sacrificing one round of capacity is worth it to make the rifle more compact.

The rifle would realistically be primarily for satisfying this itch I have to have a lever-gun in my collection. ;)

Secondarily, I would have it for defensive and general purposes in those places where semi-auto's and other "bad" guns are either a no-go or too much of a legal hassle. I am most interested in this model due to Marlin and the caliber's having very good reputations. I think sacrificing one round of capacity is worth it to make the rifle more compact.
i cant argue, i would love to add one to my collection as well.

you have to chop off one bullets worth, how much space do you save? i dont know, you tell me.

i think the wood stock makes it that much more classy. thats why my mini-14 still has one. but hey, your dream! do what you want :s0155:

OP
emanon
Reactions
Matt and Joey, I'll pass the hat at the next meet-up so that I can get started on the project!:p
Or folks could buy and/or trade for the stuff I listed here... Please?!

Knocking off a bullet should get me an extra inch and a half or maybe 2. Combined with a better stock, I should be able to knock off as much as 4 inches. I am not a fan of wood on guns. It certainly looks nice enough but guns to me are just tools and not something I want to worry about keeping pretty, etc. :)

Here's a Marlin with a similar length barrel: <broken link removed>

Reactions
That thing looks cool, i didnt think a shorty rifle would look very nice but it really does compliment it. I have about 5 cents you can have, want me to mail it to you?

Matt

Reactions
You want to build a cool trapper. Great idea! Contact Wild West Guns in Anchorage AK or Brockman's in Idaho. There are a zillion levergun masters out there. We just have to find you the right one. I have a couple good articles and threads about doing this work yourself if you want or we can find you a guy to do it. I was thiniing of takling the job myself. I have 1894s in both .357 and .44

I have Marlinitis bad. Here's my 1895. That's a WWG loop. The Elk's not mine.

Reactions
I have a 94c in .357 which is a fun little shooter with the one ragged hole sight. They seemed to have jumped a little in price as of late.... dont know if it was the cowboy shooting or what. Why not do one in 30-30 and start with one that has a short mag tube? Those 336s are generally a little cheaper. . .

My buddy and I are going to e doing a similar project starting with a Sears Ted Williams 100. Add a forward mounted Burris 2.75 scout scope, synthetic furniture, Ghost rings and parkerize or duaracoat.. should be a black tail/bear slayer!

guitarguy

Reactions
XS Sight systems makes a very cool looking scope rail for lever guns. I have a 336 project in process. Its a 30-30 and I am looking for a .357 Marlin as well.

Reactions
Don't know if it meets you "$$$" critera or not but check out www.wildwestguns.com out of Anchorage AK. I don't know the owner personally but the last two times I've taught a class in Anchorage I stopped in and I'm impressed.

His speciality is exactly what you're looking for...many articles written up about his business and his mods to the Marlin lever guns. Enjoy.

LATEST REVIEWS

• Klickitat County Firearms Training Facility
    4.00 star(s)
    Not really a range guy, as in I am 53 years old and today is the very first time I have been to an actual managed shooting range. Also, not a WA...
    • CRBMoA
  • Supporting Vendor Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    I've made several purchases here over the past few years and I've had a great experience every time. Prices are good, their staff is helpful, and...
    • Joe Link
  • Big Iron Armory
    5.00 star(s)
    It's great to have an LGS inside Portland Metro. Walt and Noah have put care into setting good prices and acquiring quality firearms and...
    • kr0ptkin
  • Supporting Vendor Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Well I finally got around to taking pics of the Cerakoting work that Jeremy of Lucky Sports did for my wife and me about 3 weeks ago. We couldn't...
    • jg rider
  • Supporting Vendor Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Here's more work that Jeremy did for me The first 3 pics are of an RIA frame that I had Cerakoted years back by an outfit in Molino. I had Jeremy...
    • jg rider

Staff online