JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In the past I have own Cetme 308 and I was glad that I got rid of it. It was a POS riffle, it was supose to be a semi riffle but turn out to be single action riffle, jamn every single round. I like the power of the 308 plus I still have bunch of ammo left over.

Now I am thinking about buying a 308 for 300-500 yards target shooting. I like the AR style riffle, I am thinking of the Panther 308. The closed dealer have LR308 riffle available for the price of $1,199. I am ready to pick it up, but please give me if feedback about this riffle. I read good things about this riffle online but most of the feedback are from advertisement program. I want the real shooter feedback. More like people in ,I trust everyone here more then other website. Please feel free to give feedback. TIA.

<broken link removed>

Benny, it ALL depends upon your mission profile...what do you intend to do with this rifle and what are your expectations, standards and budget? Match the tools to the job. Figure out exactly what you want to accomplish and then narrow your selection down based upon that. Then start searching for the most reliablity tool for the job that you can afford.

If your mission profile calls for a highly accurate semi-auto then this is one choice to consider.

You're welcome to call me at the OFA Office to chat about your mission and/or choosing a DPMS rifle or any other rifle if you think it will be of value. We at OFA don't sell guns and have no fiscal bias whatsoever so this isn't a sales call.

We have a number of rifles come through our courses including the DPMS. We also have a number of firearms at OFA that we use in classes for demostrations and/or student use including a rifle sent to us from DPMS. The rifle they sent us is stock (not custom) but they sent us a rifle based upon SWAT/Military mid-range mission profile. I just shot around 400 rounds through it at a three day rifle class at Thunder Ranch in September. We shot from known and unknown distances ranging from 100 to 700 yards. Prior to the class to prepare for it, I put around 500 rounds after I got a load worked up for it getting the rifle and myself in shape for the class. I used both Black Hills, Federal, and my own reloads in it without issues. We also have another staff member who uses a DPMS for long range work and he has shot successfully at longer distance than I and probably has 1500 to 2000 rounds through it by now if not more. His DPMS runs just fine also.

Again, keep "the end in mind" when making any firearm selection.

So if you contact me...I won't tell you my opinion or what I think...I'll just share the facts I know. If I'm not in, just leave a message, your name and the reason you called...I'll call you back.

Maybe this will help...

I owned an AP4 a few years ago. The AP4 has a 16" barrel like the one in your link, but has a quad rail, forward assist, shell deflector, dust cover, etc.

I shot hundreds (but not thousands) of rounds without one single problem. I primarily used the Federal soft-points in the blue box (Hi-shok). This was about the cheapest ammo I could find at the time (~$13 per box at Wal-Mart). My best 3-shot group with this cheap ammo was 5/8" at 200 yards. Accurate is an understatement, even with the heavy, gritty trigger. It was an absolute tack-driver.

I did try the JP yellow trigger springs and I think they helped, but it really needs a match trigger for best accuracy. But, it depends on what you intend to do with such a carbine.

Why did I sell it? I love the AR platform for its ergonomics, modularity, etc. but they get really heavy. The 16" 308 is heavy for what it is (same for a varmint 223). A 16" 308 is really the same as a 300 Savage. Not bad, but a lot of weight for that level of power. Plus, compared to an M4, the AP4 is slow to point.

Overall, I think the 308 Panthers have a really good reputation. My experience mirrors this. But, I just couldn't find a good use for mine and sold it. I have no regrets buying and trying it, or selling it.

Hope this helps.

I Have an Ap4, I love it !! If I were you I would go here <broken link removed>
for one. You can't beat the price. You get all the goodies,
(foreward assist,dust cover, 4rail free float handguard.) Shipping is $20, and it only took 5 days from the order date to arrive. $20 for the transfer at my local pawn shop.
Total $1165 delivered!!

I love this rifle!! Takin it huntin' tomorrow. This is a mans gun, not a girlie 223, so prepare yourself accordingly!!

Eugene Stoner had the caliber for this rifle right the first time!!

Maybe this will help...

I owned an AP4 a few years ago. The AP4 has a 16" barrel like the one in your link, but has a quad rail, forward assist, shell deflector, dust cover, etc.

I shot hundreds (but not thousands) of rounds without one single problem. I primarily used the Federal soft-points in the blue box (Hi-shok). This was about the cheapest ammo I could find at the time (~$13 per box at Wal-Mart). My best 3-shot group with this cheap ammo was 5/8" at 200 yards. Accurate is an understatement, even with the heavy, gritty trigger. It was an absolute tack-driver.

I did try the JP yellow trigger springs and I think they helped, but it really needs a match trigger for best accuracy. But, it depends on what you intend to do with such a carbine.

Why did I sell it? I love the AR platform for its ergonomics, modularity, etc. but they get really heavy. The 16" 308 is heavy for what it is (same for a varmint 223). A 16" 308 is really the same as a 300 Savage. Not bad, but a lot of weight for that level of power. Plus, compared to an M4, the AP4 is slow to point.

Overall, I think the 308 Panthers have a really good reputation. My experience mirrors this. But, I just couldn't find a good use for mine and sold it. I have no regrets buying and trying it, or selling it.

Hope this helps.

I agree about the weight. The AP4, and nearly all of DPMS .308 rifle are HEAVY barrels. They are either HBAR under the handguards or a full on bull barrel. While this helps accuracy by stiffening the barrel, it does make it very front heavy.

This is part of the reason I went with Armalite. I have a heavy barrel version (more like an SPR profile) and a lightweight. Much much better.

if weight is a issue send the barrel to adco and have it turned down to a light weight barrel then install a lightweight carbon fiber float tube and if you don't need the front sight have it shaved or install a lightweight one once you do that it may become your favorite rifle you have ever owned

I Have an Ap4, I love it !! If I were you I would go here <broken link removed>
for one. You can't beat the price. You get all the goodies,
(foreward assist,dust cover, 4rail free float handguard.) Shipping is $20, and it only took 5 days from the order date to arrive. $20 for the transfer at my local pawn shop.
Total $1165 delivered!!

I love this rifle!! Takin it huntin' tomorrow. This is a mans gun, not a girlie 223, so prepare yourself accordingly!!

Eugene Stoner had the caliber for this rifle right the first time!!

ROFLMAO... LOL..., I did just get done building my 6.5 Grendel..

I have a LR308, 24" SS Fluted Bull Barrel. It is heavy, but not that bad. I am very happy with the accuracy and have had no feed or extract problems. The trigger is OK with moly grease but I am going to upgrade Probably a JP. First had to get good scope and mount. Had a few simple questions (ammo) and had no problem getting answers from DPMS. Break it in right and Enjoy the long shots. I'm Happy. :s0155:

Benny,

I shoot 300/600 yard competition. I usually use a Savage LE 10-FP in 308. However, I thought it would be fun to have a semi-auto in 308.

I recently bought a FNAR in 308 with the light barrel. I did not intend to use this for competition...rather just to have for fun shooting. Well, the last 300/600 yard event I went to...I decided to shoot the FNAR.

So...here I am shooting against all these folks with their high end bolt rifles with scopes that you can see the canals on Mars with...and me and my FNAR with a "less expensive" scope - Leapers AccuShot 3-12X44.

Well to everyones surprise, including my own, the FNAR was very competitive. I came in 5th out of 12 shooters....which is about average for me...even with the Savage. Although I have placed second and third at a number of outings...when I was having a good day.

Anyway, it's a matter of preference. It depends on the person.

The FNAR is a couple hundred dollars more to buy, and some have had a hard time finding extra magazines...at least at a reasonable price. I have a total of five magazines...all which I paid $49.95 for. You just have to shop around and be patient.

Good luck on whatever you decide on. ;)

Edited to add: One thing I particularly like about the FNAR is it a gas piston design. There is a lot of discussion regarding gas impinged vs. gas piston design. Again, it's a matter of individual choice.

FNH does state that the FNAR will shoot less than one MOA out of the box...and mine does that easily.

read Boston T. Party's "Gun Bible" AR .308 versions came in 4th in his rankings...M1A and FAL 1st and 2nd. He convinced me.

I wish he'd had more hands on experience with the AR-10 and the DPMS variant to directly address the reliability issue rather than simply declaring that the rifle is not as reliable based on "reports."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top