JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have been working on getting recent purchases set up and ready to be sighted in. I am realizing that I have too much stuff to remember what all the zeros and holdovers and point-blank ranges are. It use to be easy, everything I had was sighted to 100 regardless of optimization, and all I would need to do is look up one of the existing charts to remember all the details. Now I am starting to run PCCs, lots more high BC cartridges, ye oldyn day stuff, and the notes are getting crazy. I have zeros from 25 to 200 now, as I am optimizing all the things for longest point-blanks and smallest holdovers. It would be amazing to have a small DOPE sheet attached to each rifle, but I am way to vain to settle for laminated cards zip-tied to the stock.

I saw Leupold made a retracting DOPE sheet, but they seem to be discontinued, which is a shame since I can use like 10 of them. There are current offerings, but they all seem to be metal or polymer variations of the "card on a zip-tie" variety, and I don't want something that bulky hanging off the side of a rifle. I would like something that is compact, streamlined and has enough note space to jot down a few key ranges for one or two loads. Anyone know of some slick DOPE products, preferably some that mount to pic rails and options that mount directly to a scope (I have rifles that do not have pic, and I have rifles that do not have tube scopes. I do not currently have anything that does no have either). I would prefer things that mount flush, or at least stow away flush, but I am open to suggestions.

I know a lot of people use round DOPE cards for use in scope flip covers. I do not use those, preferring scope socks/covers instead. I find these not only protect the scope better but in many instances are faster to remove than flip covers. I also do not need (but do like) behind-the-rifle access, so a little fold out mini-notebook an inch or so tall mounted flush to a pic rail would work for me (if someone makes such a thing).

(a few examples of DOPE systems I do not like [but you might];

I bought a brother label maker.
I print out some dope & zero and stick the labels on the riflescopes.
Been doing this for a long time, on top of logbooks for each rifle.

1706339358437.png

Your overthinking this. Blue tape goes anywhere on the rifle.
View attachment 1810280
I think you missed the part about my vanity. I probably should have included the part where I believe that fancy equipment makes you a better shooter and that I was looking for an ego trip so I can feel superior to all the blue tape scrubs.

Or maybe just the reality that my handwriting is so bad that I cannot tell what is says even a few months after writing it. But that is still not a me problem, it's a you problem.

I will consider @Xmark1 's suggestion of a label printer, if I can figure out a discrete way to stash the notes. That may be the neatest (and most legible) way to keep notes with each rifle. I do like pretty leather/synthetic wraps on things, so maybe a little note card stuffed under a cover will allow me to pick up a rifle and remember what it's critical numbers are.

Or, you know, find someone who has a bunch of old-new stock of the Leupold things. I can wish.

I think you missed the part about my vanity. I probably should have included the part where I believe that fancy equipment makes you a better shooter and that I was looking for an ego trip so I can feel superior to all the blue tape scrubs.
Just doing my best to keep you humble... :p
but if you must...

Blue tape is still cooler though. ;)

Just doing my best to keep you humble... :p
The job of Sisyphus I assure you.

I have an idea to put the notes inside the scope covers, and on reflection blue tape may be more flexible than label tape, and might actually be the better option. I will just have to have my wife write the notes so if I do not touch the rifle for a year or so I can still figure out what the numbers are. Or I may try to find a little pouch wrap so I can keep a whole small data book with the gun, instead of having to remember to bring them with me every time I pack up for a shoot. I already have that on a few of my rifles, but I was only using them for tags.

Those side card holders may be nice for guns that only ever shoot from a table, but I do not have an of those yet (though I am probably getting there). I want something that gets out of the way when not in use, so I can drag the rifle through brush or on a run-and-gun without getting horribly snagged (any more than all the other junk I hang off of them).

The job of Sisyphus I assure you.

I have an idea to put the notes inside the scope covers, and on reflection blue tape may be more flexible than label tape, and might actually be the better option. I will just have to have my wife write the notes so if I do not touch the rifle for a year or so I can still figure out what the numbers are. Or I may try to find a little pouch wrap so I can keep a whole small data book with the gun, instead of having to remember to bring them with me every time I pack up for a shoot. I already have that on a few of my rifles, but I was only using them for tags.

Those side card holders may be nice for guns that only ever shoot from a table, but I do not have an of those yet (though I am probably getting there). I want something that gets out of the way when not in use, so I can drag the rifle through brush or on a run-and-gun without getting horribly snagged (any more than all the other junk I hang off of them).
Simple tasks need only simple solutions. Theres only so few options here and in your first post you kinda talked yourself out of them looking for exceptional alternatives. The cleanest appearance is a buttstock wrap. The simplest way is get some painters blue tape and a fine tip sharpie. Blue tape peels off clean when needed when you want to be more presentable. You described actually using your guns in the field, let form follow function here. I find simple crude solutions more "attractive" because I learned to listen to the guys who found the simplest solutions, are the mark of experience and are the ones I ask question to.

Excuse me now while I go look for my boulder at the bottom of the hill.
1706374362546.png

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads