JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This follows right along with a story I read a while back about a Veteran who had his guns confiscated by police because he sometimes was depressed and had "Thought about suicide". Who hasn't thought about suicide? I have, but I sure wouldn't ever do it. I am not the one who wrote the message below.

"When I had my gangrene gallbladder taken out and spent 10 days in the hospital for what should have been an overnight stay the insurance company kicked me out. I had home nurse visits for two weeks and was asked if I had guns in the house. I respond that if I did I would not tell them. So the below has some merit. FYI, I am passing this along...there are comments from two other people I have also been asked if we keep guns in the house. The nurse just kinda slipped it in along with all the other regular questions. I told her I refused to answer because it was against the law to ask. Everyone, whether you have guns or not, should give a neutral answer so they have no idea who does and who doesn't. My doctor asked me if I had guns in my house and also if any were loaded. I, of course, answered yes to both questions. Then he asked why I kept a loaded gun close to my bed. I answered that my son, who is a certified gun instructor and also works for Homeland Security, advised me that an unloaded, locked up gun is no protection against criminal attack. The Government now requires these questions be asked of people on Medicare, and probably everyone else."

"Just passing this along for your information: I had to visit a doctor other than my regular doctor when my doctor was on vacation.. One of the questions on the form I had to fill out was: Do you have any guns in your house?? My answer was None of your damn business!! So it is out there! It is either an insurance issue or government intervention. Either way, it is out there and the second the government gets into your medical records (as they want to under Obamacare) it will become a major issue and will ultimately result in lock and load!! Please pass this on to all the other retired guys and gun owners..."

"Thanks, from a Vietnam Vet and retired Police Officer: I had a doctors appointment at the local VA clinic yesterday and found out something very interesting that I would like to pass along.While going through triage before seeing the doctor, I was asked at the end of the exam, three questions:1. Did I feel stressed? 2. Did I feel threatened? 3. Did I feel like doing harm to someone? The nurse then informed me, that if I had answered yes to any of the questions, I would have lost my concealed carry permit as it would have gone into my medical records and the VA would have reported it to Homeland Security. Looks like they are going after the vets first. Other gun people like retired law enforcement will probably be next. Then when they go after the civilians, what argument will they have? Be forewarned and be aware. The Obama administration has gone on record as considering veterans and gun owners potential terrorists. Whether you are a gun owner, veteran or not, YOU"VE BEEN WARNED ! If you know veterans and gun owners, please pass this on to them. Be very cautious about what you say and to whom."

The simple answer is the negative response to any question that is not directly related to your care. Have guns, No. Wear you seat belt, Yes. Speed, No. Feel stressed, No. Ever want to hurt someone, No. Exercise often, Yes........ I think you get the idea.

A "neutral" or "other" answer just confirms that you do the opposite of the "correct" answer.......

This is where I get very conflicted about this type of crap. Should people who are actually mental disturbed have firearms? No. For that matter they shouldn't be allowed to drive either.

But, if someone is just having a bad few months, for example a death of a loved one, divorce, or losing their job. Then that person has the courage to ask for a little help, they get this double whammy tossed at them. And if some anti-gun people have their way, they may NEVER get their firearms back. If someone has the courage to ask for help, they should be applauded for that. Not treated like some mentally defunct person.

I guess this is just one of those threads that will continue to reinvent itself every couple of months. I'm not even going to bother with the link to snopes this time.

I guess this is just one of those threads that will continue to reinvent itself every couple of months. I'm not even going to bother with the link to snopes this time.

For what? The Obama Care thing or the fact...And I say FACT that doctors ask and report whether or not you have guns in the home. It was part of my preliminary evaluation form I had to fill out for my first visit to my chosen primary care physician. Big Brother is watching and paying attention.

The truth is that I've never been asked about firearms once by any medical professional. Are you really sure it's a FACT that doctors care and report whether or not you have guns in the home? To whom are they reporting to then? I am curious why the OP was worried about losing their CWP, based on information which most likely would have remained confidential. With all due respect, I am no fan of fear mongering. Facts are generally well supported by evidence, so let's have it.

The questionaire the doctor gave me on my initial visit asked if I owned firearms and if I had them in the home. If you answer yes and report to the Dr. any feelings of depression or extreme anger, they are required to report that to the proper authorities...Although I do not know who that would be....

I do know that if it is a VA doctor you are marked your entire life as the reports are forwarded to Washington.

I guess all anyone is saying is.......Be careful what you say to anyone.

I'm not going to scan and print the "New Patient" questionaire I was given to fill out and answered NOYFB to the firearms question, but you can believe me...it was there.

Thanks, JD!

I've experienced this question with our kids pediatrician. We talked about it, the reason for the ask was to prime a safety discussion about firearms in homes with kids. BTW this was years before Obama. We had a great talk and he changed the question to; Do you have unsecured firearms that children have access to? Good conversation, no saying guns are bad, just looking out for the safety in the home.

And if you think the government has the capacity to connect these dots, I have some great real estate investments for you. Maybe a bridge..?

Ok Folks.. I work at a very major medical center in PDX and I have been there for a while and do Quality assurance so I am in and out of patient care everyday. As a patient, I have never been asked at my institution or at the PDX VA about gun ownership. I have seen the majority of patient intake questionnaires and have never seen this question asked. My employer is largely supported by CMS (Medicare) and this question has never come up.

Now that being said, I have had this question asked when I took out a life insurance policy, as well as have I ever jump out of plane, (I have being Airborne!), have I ever been diagnosed with PTSD? I spent 22 years in the ARMY Rangers and SF. Duh...
I think this kind of rhetoric is akin to chicken little syndrome... The sky is not falling. Obmacare will not be the end of America anymore than social security was to my Grandparents America. Do the country a favor and stop spreading poor Intelligence and rumors.
Cheers,
Doc... MSG RET...

My girlfriends kids (age 7 & 10 )were just asked the same question this monday ! They went to a new doctor and were asked this when they were with the doctor alone. About an hour later in the car they told me about it because they both thought it was strange. I took the time to go back to the clinic and ask why they were asked that question, and the nurse said it was standard for all new patients to asses the safety of a home and offer "free help" (what evert that means?) I told her it was a strange question to ask a 7 & 10 year old and that it was an invasion of privacy and left it at that. The good news is that both kids said "no" AND they were not lying (they never do!), they live in a seperate house than me ! We had a little talk and next time they get asked that by anyone, they will give a shoulder shrug and a blank stare ( I know they are both good at it! )

Apparently you did not read the first paragraph of my post or Snopes. If you read snopes carefully they do not deny this, they do however deny a specific post.

Well, since I get my care at JBLM, I don't get asked about firearms, I suspect it is a given that I have access to them. But, what with all the recent events, they have been asking about stress and emotional health and "Do you feel safe at home" for some time. Good questions to ask, every time, but annoying to have to check the little boxes all the time...

(and the docs missed the one they sent to Afghanistan)...

Anyway, this is - to my mind, at least - more an AMA thing than a Obamacare thing. The AMA has a political agenda, and are trying to push the public health aspects of firearms in the home.....they think it is a public health risk and this is an attempt by them to get the data to support it. Next time they ask, politely ask if it is a study. If so, ask for a consent form or you won't answer the question.

Chill!
I am a therapist with the VA (Vet Center) and have been for 31 years. I am also a Infantryman Vietnam Vetera, (Tet 68) and I have some interest in gun ownership and the US Constitution. Suicide is a huge problem for Veterans as you may have heard. The chief means of suicide among Veterans is the handgun. Every patient (client) who is seen by a VA medical professional is asked some routine questions in nearly every medical interview. Among these questions is a "lethality assessment." It goes like this: "Have you had any thoughts of hurting yourself or others?" If yes, then the questioning follows as to whom the potential victim is. Then the next question is "Do you have a plan?" The point here is whether there is a specific victim, time, means. place etc. If you say for example "I'm going to blow my head off soon", then it follows that you will be asked voluntarily to secure your firearms where they are not easily accessible, for example in a gun safe where you no not have the key. It's OK if your spouse or another adult controls acess.
This has nothing to no with the POTUS. It is about saving lives of our nation's warriors.
If you do not want people to know that you are planning to kill someone, don't tell! If you don't want people to know you own guns, don't tell! If YOU TELL; a medical professional anywhere in the US that you plan to harm yourself or others and that you have at least one firearm, you WILL be asked to secure that firearm. If you don't want someone to attempt to stop you from killing anyone, DON'T TELL! Is this clear?
Grunts don't fire warning shots. If you do, you may have created a problem for yourself.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top