JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Got this from a friend.

Here's a Wallet/Purse Legal Rights Card For You:

NOTE: Be advised that the refusal to consent to any search or seizure has the legal effect in Oregon of also being a refusal to submit to a field sobriety test. You may (or may not) wish to orally modify the invocation on the card accordingly, depending on the situation.

INVOCATION OF CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS
ATTENTION: I WILL NOT RUN OR RESIST.
1. I do not wish to answer any questions.
I choose to remain silent.
2. I demand to know whether I am free to
leave. If not, I demand to know why I am
stopped and whether I am under arrest.
If not stopped or under arrest, I demand
to be let go.
3. If under arrest, I want a lawyer now
and I demand an end to questioning.
4. I DO NOT CONSENT to any search or
seizure.
5. I refuse to participate in a lineup or
showup without my lawyer present.
6. I will not take a polygraph, give
exemplars, sign statements or perform
"re-enactments."
7. If I am a foreign national, per the Vienna
Convention I respectfully demand access to
my consulate now and that it be told of my
detention now.
8. I respectfully demand the immediate
right of habeas corpus.

Remember that under our state and federal Constitutions, your rights do not depend on the facts.

Whether you are innocent or guilty of an offense, you have the same rights.

Do not settle for less than the zealous representation guaranteed you by the Sixth Amendment to the United States Constitution

Wow. How about dont break the law.

The only scenario i can think of that a reasonable and INNOCENT citizen may be best off excersising thier right to remain silent is in a self defense scenario that results in serious injury or death. And even then you better give some kind of information. You cant just leave or call the cops and point out a dead guy and not expect to go to jail and then try to explain to the jury why exactly now months later at trial you have a neat and tidy story that seemingly didn't exist at the time, tru or not it will appear to be cooked up BS.

If you are GUILTY of a crime and you want the best chance of getting off then stay quiet.

This idea that people should not talk to the police just because they are not required to WHEN THEY DIDNT DO ANYTHING WRONG dumbfounds me and makes people appear very much like a pre pubescant child cought by mom and dad.

On a final note, i do have some respect for criminals who are cought and admit their actions. Like their is a chance of a decent person in there.

Guess i just have faith in police. It sound like some of you dont.

Nope, I sure don't. I believe the large majority of Police are great, but how do I know that I'm not talking to a cop that is just looking for a reason to violate my rights? If I have done nothing wrong, I don't need to prove that to a cop.

There are plenty of police that got into the field because they needed a since of importance and authority. Just look at what happened in DC, a cop pulled out his firearm on people throwing SNOWBALLS. Sure doesn't give you a lot of "faith" now, does it?

I've been practicing law for 32 years with about 1/2 of my practice criminal law. My assistant has a great quote "Our clients have the right to remain silent, just not the ability".

We know that about 70% of the cases charged would result in dismissal or acquittal if the client simply said " I didn't do anything wrong, and I'd like to talk to my lawyer".

Unfortunately somewhere the police and prosecutors decided that winning was more important than getting it right. If you start talking, the police will write down what they want to hear and you are screwed. Many times it is my client's best interest to make a statement. We do it in my office with recording equipment running. Funny, those statements are accurate in the police reports.

It seems that the only time copes use taping devices is when they want to show impairment in driving cases. There is a trend to require taping of all "confessions" before they are admissible in Court. Excellent idea.

I'm not a lawyer. But, I have some experience with "the system." Take this guy's advice. Literally say "I didn't do anything wrong, and I'd like to talk to my lawyer." Say anything else and you're just asking for trouble, lots of it.

At the end of the day (gawd, I'm starting to hate that expression):

1. Just because you didn't do anything doesn't mean you don't or won't look like the best suspect.

2. Sometimes, once such a suspect appears on the radar, the search slows or stops. Unless someone else suddenly pops up, you're it.

3. As mentioned in the videos, something seemingly innocuous when said, when combined with subsequent statement(s) made by you or others, can imply guilt.

4. Once you appear guilty to someone, it can be supremely difficult to appear innocent again.

5. Absolutely none of this needs evil intent to occur. We're dealing with human beings here, always capable of error, no matter how honest and sincere the people involved.

Read up on some of the deathrow convicts exonerated by DNA evidence. A few of the stories will turn your stomache. Prosecutors sleeping with crime scenes processors, who in turn were eventually convicted of manufacturing fraudulent evidence, that sort of thing.

I personally witnessed 3 small town cops lie like felons to cover a 4th who caused an accident while he was drunk, and thus shift the ticket onto a citizen. Pretty small potatos, but it makes me remember, "If they will do this in a green tree, what will they do in a dry?"

The judicial system can grind up the innocent into the same sausage as the guilty. And does every day, somewhere.

The only scenario i can think of that a reasonable and INNOCENT citizen may be best off excersising thier right to remain silent is in a self defense scenario that results in serious injury or death. And even then you better give some kind of information. You cant just leave or call the cops and point out a dead guy and not expect to go to jail and then try to explain to the jury why exactly now months later at trial you have a neat and tidy story that seemingly didn't exist at the time, tru or not it will appear to be cooked up BS.

If you are GUILTY of a crime and you want the best chance of getting off then stay quiet.

This idea that people should not talk to the police just because they are not required to WHEN THEY DIDNT DO ANYTHING WRONG dumbfounds me and makes people appear very much like a pre pubescant child cought by mom and dad.

On a final note, i do have some respect for criminals who are cought and admit their actions. Like their is a chance of a decent person in there.

You obviously DID NOT watch the video my best friend is a cop.. i trust him (i think :s0114:) but legally it makes sense

bottom line:

ANYTHING you say can, and WILL, be used AGAINST you.

NOTHING you say can even be admitted as evidence in a trial to be used in your FAVOUR.

In other words, zip it.

by the way, that Balitmore cop is a pig, and ought to go to jail, He was simply bullying that kid, physically assaulted him with no apparent cause, took his personal property and insulted him. The cop's got the same stinky attitude he accuses the kid of having, only the cop has got the badge and gun.

To the chap who was not keen on shutting your mouth if you've not done anything.... I have to say, all due respect, you are rather naive. LEO will often jump to the wrong conclusion based on whatever, then, once they've set their sights on someone, innocent or guilty in reality, they PRESUME guilt and will act accordingly. Innocence and guilt are for the COURTS to decide, not LEO. There is absolutely nothing wrong in an individual's determination, when accosted (sometimes most importantly when the accosted one KNOWS he is innocent) to remain silent and require counsel.

Even in something like a traffic accident or altercation, I would not make a verbal statement, especially when pressed hard by the cops. They've got a way of intimidating, confusing, interrupting, misunderstanding, mishearing, forgetting...... no, I will sit quietly, undisturbed, and prepare a WRITTEN statement. Then copy it, if necessary by hand, demand the officer sign MY copy, and his, and I will also sign both. NOW we have an unassailable version of MY statements. Since it is written, noone can back later and try and make it say something else. Cops do this sort of thing (interrogate, make reports and statements) every day, and often when bored, pressured, distracted..... they've no vested interest in truth OR accuracy, they're just "doing my job, son". What cause do I have to believe he will be giving his all in every case to ensure accuracy and completeness? Ninety percent will do so..... but then, how might I have assurance the ONE in front of ME (who is, at that time and place, the ONLY cop in the world) will not be one of the ten percent or so who is NOT attentive to detail, pledged to complete accuracy, and dedicated to searching out the truth?

no, there is a time and place for detailing the events relating to an incident. In the press and adrenaline rush of the immediate moment, one's chances of coherency, and that coherence being accurately recorded for future use, is somewhere to the far left of zero. Again, bottom line: zip it.

Are you implying that citizens are questioned, pulled over, or detained by police ONLY when they've broken a law?

Being hired by the police department does not automatically make you a good guy. It does automatically give you the power to violate the constitutional rights of the unwary and the too trusting.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top