JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Long story short, I have a problem with someone consistently letting their dog crap on my lawn (curb side of sidewalk) and would like reasonable suggestions to fix this. I keep stepping in it and have no idea who the culprit is. Don't necessarily want to set up a security camera just for poop but maybe... Thinking of planting a bunch of Hawthornes, roses, anything with thorns. Ideas?
I know you wanted to go low price and low tech but this is how we solved the same problem at our place. We have the RING system on the front and back of our house. Unfortunately the spot where the dog was going was a blind spot with the cameras. Just so I could later prove it if I had to I hid a trail camera and videotaped one person letting their dog go on my yard. I went to him and asked him to stop, I also told him I had the RING system and it had taped him letting his dog go there. It stopped the problem. Now because of the RING system if he comes up to the house it's been documented. Funny he is the only person who does this in the neighborhood. Too lazy to pick up after his own animal.

The way I have fixed this problem is red pepper flakes sprinkled over the area. Dogs and cats will stay away. You may need to reapply in a few days but they will learn to not like your yard.

Long story short, I have a problem with someone consistently letting their dog crap on my lawn (curb side of sidewalk) and would like reasonable suggestions to fix this. I keep stepping in it and have no idea who the culprit is. Don't necessarily want to set up a security camera just for poop but maybe... Thinking of planting a bunch of Hawthornes, roses, anything with thorns. Ideas?

Berberis thunbergii f. atropurpurea

Hedge it or let it go wild.

You would have good luck with any Barberry as they mostly all have nice spines concealed by leaves and are showy year round for one reason or another.

Rather forgiving as well once established. There are some others that could be used as a shrub with showy flowers/petals etc. without putting something there that you need to maintain a lot.

You have options too with native plants such as Oregon Grape (Mahonia aquifolium) which are adapted to our climate and can be managed well by keeping low and pruning out the tall branches to keep it compact and non-leggy.

Last Edited:
I was gonna suggest a blow-dart with the darts dipped in a gooey digitalis (foxglove) concoction. Dog has heart attack, DRT.

'uck that. Make sure you have some 60's on your truck, drive over and lay a nice, long patch on his lawn.
Can you tell I'm irked at people who let their critter crap on my lawn?

It's ain't the dogs fault his owner is a jerk.

My neighbor used to let their lil dog crap in my front yard.
One day I'm in my garage and hear; OMG muffy don't eat that, NOOOOOOO.
I made it a point to let them see me pouring grease on the next pile and just said Bacon grease as I walked away.
I don't have poop in my yard anymore.

We do have security cameras. Caught the neighbor that lives up the road letting his dog do business on our property. I picked it up with a bag and walked it to his house an threw it on his front porch. He comes out yelling at me and says he's going to call the police on me.

I tell him that it is County Code and State code that dog owners pick up after their dogs, and that I was tired of as_holes in the neighborhood letting their dogs cr_p on my property without picking it up.

He says it wasn't him an that if I didn't pick up the mess from his porch he was going to call the cops on me.

I told him "Good, call the cops. Tell them that I am home waiting for them. I will even have the security video footage ready for them to see. THEN I will request that they charge you with code violations." Then I turned an left.

He has NEVER come down to my area since. And it's been almost 2 years. GOOD riddance!!!

Finding out who it is and videoing it (via security cameras) and confronting the person will probably put a stop to you ever seeing them again.

:)

Confrontation as a result of frustration is understandable, but some of the suggestions with pepper flakes, etc. make more sense and is less likely to cause legal (or lethal) problems with inconsiderate dog owners...some of who I think this kind of crap is fun for them...

I grabbed a shovel out of the truck one day and scooped up a loose pile that the dog owner left laying on the lawn. I followed him down the road for about a block, at a non threatening distance, berating him for the lousy, irresponsible, pet owner he was, loud enough for those outside, and maybe inside, of their homes to hear. It was a lovely warm sunny day in late May. :)

Several years ago my neighbor was letting there German Shepard do its business in our front yard. After I started tossing it beside the drivers door of their car it stopped. Evidently they didn't like traipsing it into their vehicle. Short of a camera to catch the owner or a good fence/hedge Im not sure what else to do. Good luck though.

Find out who's dog it is. Then go to their house, drop trou and pinch a fatty on their lawn.

All I can think of.
I did this, although I pinched it onto a paper plate in the privacy of my own home and THEN took it over and deposited it (sans the plate) on their front porch so they would be sure to notice it. Problem stopped.

I did this, although I pinched it onto a paper plate in the privacy of my own home and THEN took it over and deposited it (sans the plate) on their front porch so they would be sure to notice it. Problem stopped.

Id let them get a clear view money shot of the ol' brown eye, just for posterity.

It's ain't the dogs fault his owner is a jerk.
Good point.
Problem is, the dogs of irresponsible owners are usually troublesome in other ways. If they crap on your land, they consider it their territory.
Had a brown lab that used to crap on my lawn (neighbor's dog). I would toss the doo-doos back onto his lawn and ask that he have his dog stop crapping on my lawn. I'd still find piles, and the neighbor was incorrigible.
That dog came through the bushes one afternoon to attack my wife, who had a shovel in her hands. She smacked him on the head, and he never once returned. Neighbor threatened us with animal abuse charges, we said, "go ahead." The dog eventually bit him in the face.
We moved shortly afterward.

For starters, get some of that cheap and cheerful 12" - 24" high border fence that you just push into the ground. This is just an example but it comes in a variety of styles. It's cheap and easy and is usually enough to keep dogs on the sidewalk and not coming onto your grass. It's a bold dog and an even bolder owner who will let their dog cross over stuff like this.

But, in case it's a bold owner, get you a YARD ENFORCER! :D

View attachment 629970

those work great! My parents used one to keep the prey birds from eating their Koi.
tell you what, it scares the crap out of you when you forget and walk by it!!!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top