JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been hearing this term a lot lately, but it's strange, because now when you look it up, it has this weird political connotation about "code words" for racism and so forth.

Funny thing is, years back when I first heard the term, it simply meant "someone whose er, rectum, is so tight, that dogs bark when that person farts". At least that definition makes more sense. In other words it described a personal characteristic, not what the person said. I think it was Hunter Thompson, or someone equally irreverant, who coined the term.

Why does the Ministry of Propaganda have to ruin perfectly good words and concepts?

Or am I just imagining things? What did "dog whistle" mean to you when you first heard the term?

I'm is the same boat as the three posters above me, never heard it before except for its original meaning.
dog whistle.jpg

Ray

Usually refers to a device that when you blow into it will emit a sound in a sonic range that is only able to be detected by the more acute hearing of dogs (among other animals), but is normally beyond the sensitivity of human hearing. Often used for training purposes, and can cause an aggressive response.
I haven't personally heard it used as a term but I can see it's usefulness... eg. "If the coach heard the words "good enough" it was like the player was blowing a DOG WHISTLE, and he'd start barking."

Dog Whistle, False Flag & Signaling...

These are just some of the words/phrases they've changed.

A well regulated Militia- They think it's the National Guard.
Shall not be infringed- They think its a suggestion.

SMH-That still means Shake My Head.

Professional left-wing victicrats like Leonard Pitts and Rachel Maddow often use the dog whistle analogy to describe to the sheepeople how "racists" use political rhetoric to stir-up angry bigoted voters. For some reason this has been a popular tactic of late.

I think it metaphorically means an exclusive call or signal that is sent to and meant for a specific group that understands the significance where outsiders don't. It could also mean the purposeful and/or secret activation of a programmed response, like a Pavlovian conditioned behavior. I don't watch much tee vee any more so I haven't heard how it's been used, but this is my guess.

Last Edited:
I've been hearing this term a lot lately, but it's strange, because now when you look it up, it has this weird political connotation about "code words" for racism and so forth.

Funny thing is, years back when I first heard the term, it simply meant "someone whose er, rectum, is so tight, that dogs bark when that person farts". At least that definition makes more sense. In other words it described a personal characteristic, not what the person said. I think it was Hunter Thompson, or someone equally irreverant, who coined the term.

Why does the Ministry of Propaganda have to ruin perfectly good words and concepts?

Or am I just imagining things? What did "dog whistle" mean to you when you first heard the term?

I just read a long and incredibly boring Wikipedia dissertation on the subject.
I like Paul's definition much better! :D

I think it metaphorically means an exclusive call or signal that is sent to and meant for a specific group that understands the significance where outsiders don't. It could also mean the purposeful and/or secret activation of a programmed response, like a Pavlovian conditioned behavior. I don't watch much tee vee any more so I haven't heard how it's been used, but this is my guess.

That was generally my interpretation of it as well, especially when used by the chattering pundit class in reference to DT or his supporters.

Signaling without saying something outright; enjoying the result.

Understanding the target audience is key; nearly everyone does it because it is the receiver who can and will decipher the dog whistle in their own way.

Example: a militia leader may say " something must be done about the govt.".

Some militia members would translate that into committing a violent act; the leader gets the violence he wants without implicating himself.

The dumber the audience.....the louder the whistle.

Addendum: the graduate school answer; a dog whistle is a perlocutionary speech act.
See the work of JL Austin.

Last Edited:
Exactly.

It's like when some soft-spoken snowflake gets up and starts asking for new "common sense" gun restrictions laws, and every hand-wringing democrat wanting to abolish the 2nd Amendment comes running.

Exactly.

It's like when some soft-spoken snowflake gets up and starts asking for new "common sense" gun restrictions laws, and every hand-wringing democrat wanting to abolish the 2nd Amendment comes running.
Yes, I think sheeple often confuse a dog whistle for a 'clarion call' of some righteous magnitude, when at best it's their covert programming being activated; at worst its a base instinct of herding up. Critical thought goes out the window just at the opportunity for a meager minded person to be 'on the right side' without knowing the substance of the issue or having the burden of having an authentic understanding arrived at on one's own.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top