JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If my dog bit one of my children, in the face, unprovoked, I would take it on a long drive up into the mountains and only one of us would be coming back. I would be very sad, I would likely cry.

That being said, if my child is teasing an animal or otherwise provoking it, especially one that has been a good dog for years etc, Id chalk it up to a lesson learned and take the kid to the doctor. after that Id take the dog to the vet and see why he has his cranky pants on.

as a P.S. it has been my experience that when children get bit by a pet dog that otherwise behaves or have behaved well for years etc. it is because they caused it themselves. If not that, then likely there is something wrong with the dog that may even be a simple fix.

I am not ashamed to admit that I was bitten on the face at age 6 by a doberman, and it was totally my fault. I provoked the dog. Fortunately this occured in an era where people were not sue-happy. Upon hearing the story, my parents did not sue the dog owner nor did they press for medical expenses. I carry the scar of that event to this day, but I still love dogs.

I was bite in the wrist by a neighbors dog as I was reaching through the fence to pet it when I was about 7 years old, I was friends with them and played with that dog before, but he was in his yard and protecting his.
Gave me a good scar I still have today, but wasn't bad by any means. My mom just yelled at me and said thats what you get.
We also had a springer spaniel dog when I was about 10 yrs old and a sweet dog, but hated when your got in her face. I would antagonize her and twice she bit me in the face giving me a bloody nose.
I was a slow learner.

My friends and I around that same time were walking along the mad tracks in gresham, along where we thought were devil worshipper camps (homeless) and out of nowhere a pitbull charged us over the hill, I ran like usain bolt, but my friend was bit in the leg, the other friend smashed the dog in the face with a stick and it took off.

Another time I was an adult about 20 yrs old and had a bad month, a car accident put my car in the shop for a month, i was riding a bus and the max into portland from gresham and I was walking to work and a german shepard a lady was passing me and out of nowhere just reached over and bit my leg. Had about a softball sized buise but no blood. I just gave her the death look and kept walking. Just figured that was my month for bad luck.

I've always looked at pets as family and would defend them as such, but if my dog bit another child or my child without over provoking her I'd put her down.
Luckily, my great dane/black lab/pitbull mix has the temperment of a great dane. She's protective, but will let my daughter (2.5yrsold) pull her tail or grab her ears, get all up in her face and just takes it like a momma dog. She's awesome. Even does it for strangers. But another dog!? Let's just say we keep her away from the dog parks now.

I think the OP story might have to do with a dog that maybe isn't used to a lot of people and may have been a little on edge w ith how busy and stressful the party was. Who knows.
I wouldn't go putting it down, but would keep it locked up around other people/children.
It happens once, shame on the dog.
It happens twice, shame on you.
It happens three times, it's a long walk to the woods and only one returns.

And that all sounds good,but if you have ANY dog that is going to be around children you need to have constant control,either physically or from training.
Your dog isn't used to being around children ,keep it locked up when they come over.
You make a good point since my dog would have been trained ,well was trained to be submissive to all humans.And I bite would definitely been against protocol

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top