JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There's an old fable,

A frog and a scorpion are sitting on the riverbank. The scorpion turns to the frog and says "frog, let me ride on your back across the river" the frog says "no Scorpion, you will sting me and I will die". The scorpion says "Frog, I will not. If I sting you, you will die and we will drown." this goes on for a while and finally after much work on the frog relents and tells the Scorpion he will take him. The scorpion hops on the frogs back and they head across the river.

Half way over the scorpion stings the frog. The frog says "scorpion! Why did you sting me? We are both going to drown now, I'm dying" the scorpion says "what did you expect, I am a scorpion...."

Point being in this situation, they are animals that humans have domesticated and are still prone to being animals from time to time. To expect anything else is a dangerous precedent.

I love dogs.... They give unconditional love to their master even after being beaten - I WOULD NEVER BEAT A DOG. That said, sadly the dog has to be put down. I hope the guy has really good insurance because he will need it.

When a calm dog bites it no longer is a pet and now is an animal.

My son was bit by his grandparents dog (wife's parents), within 2 minutes my father in law had the dog on a leash heading outside. Dog was 2 minutes from lead poisoning when the mother in law and wife showed up to stop it.

I wouldn't hesitate to put an animal down. I wouldn't put a pet down unless it was terminally ill. Animal though, no patience. Once they bite, they will do again.

Dogs reflect there owners. Almost everytime.
But I'm no pit bull fan no matter what. I do let one of my renters have one though. Hope I don't regret that. I had him sign a liability release form.

I would have probably killed the dog right there.
Now I love my dogs but if they ever bit a child I wouldn't even hesitate to end their existence.
Teenager or older? We'll give it another chance
Small child? Dog has issues.
Boxers have a dominance problem.They will go after another dog to dominate it and if it isn't a easy going lab or such,the fight is on. And dogs skin usually doesn't tear like a small child's skin.
I'm guessing this is what was happening.Doesn't make it OK by any means

Unprovoked attack on a kid? Terminal results for the dog in my book.
No bad dogs, just bad owners?
That's akin to no bad kids, just bad parents and we all know how that actually is.

I've put down one of my own for making agressive unprovoked advances on a child.
Hurt like hell to do it, he was an older male that had been a loyal family member since he was 6 weeks old.
When the granddaughter was learning to walk holding her moms hand, u heard him low growl deep in his chest while I was sitting in a lawn chair next to him. He was looking directly at the child, at this point I attached a lead to his harness.
When the daughter and child came back outside he came straight up in an agressive foward lunge towards the child, there was no mistaking what his intentions were.
I know there are those that will disagree and say I was wrong in my decision to put him down, but how in the world would you be able to forgive yourself or say your sorry enough for your dog maiming (or worse) when you knew before hand and did nothing?
He was a 8 year old 140lb., always friendly dog to that point, what happened to set him off? Age? Sickness? Bad day? Don't know, but there was no mistaking his intentions and target.

If I would have drawn in that situation but not shot as he did eventually get his dogs under control, I've often wondered what next?
Re-holster tell the bum off and walk on? Call the cops and describe what happened?
If I walk away and later get stopped by the Cops after the bum calls them on his Obamaphone it's gonna be a big hassle.
Am I obligated to report the LAWFUL drawing of my weapon? IMO that would have been as lawful as it gets but the bum would tell a different story of course.

The correct thing to do is call the non-emergency number and report it. You want to be on the record first should the bum decide to call and say he felt threatened. If you don't report it and the bum calls it in, you are likely to face brandishing charges. You may not get convicted, but you'll lose your 2A rights while the investigation is going on and you'll waste money on an attorney to prove your innocence.

There was a local story not too long ago of a gentleman driving to work very early in the morning. A car caught up with him, tailgated him, passed him illegally and cut him off. The car continued to harass him for several miles and after the last dangerous maneuver, he pulled his gun out. The car driver saw the gun and hightailed it out of there. The gentleman felt all was well and continued driving to work. The car driver reported the incident and the gentleman was arrested for brandishing. He lost his job, spent 6 months and thousands of dollars fighting the charges. Moral of the story - report it first to cover your rear end.

^^ What ever happened to that guy? If I recall correctly, the guy on the receiving end reported that the guy with the gun pointed it at them AND activated the lazer. If you're a gun person, you can pick out a lazer sight, but if you're not, you won't know unless you're lit up with a red dot.

My dad is a retired veterinarian and after many years decided it just wasn't worth it to board pits or rots. Happy and loving one minute, the next they are lunging for your throat. He said it was a built in switch they are born with. It only happened a few times in over 30 years, but it's like a gun going off. Chows were tolerable, but could be grumpy. He'd come home with a bite now and then. He often refused to pts a dog for biting. He encouraged the owners to help locate another home that was a better fit. Rescue orgs can help. Morality doesn't exist in nature.

This thread sure reminds me of my ex wife.
Beautiful women, but you never knew when she would go crazy on you.
Maybe I should start a new thread on ex's and how they would cook off when un-provoked.

^^ What ever happened to that guy? If I recall correctly, the guy on the receiving end reported that the guy with the gun pointed it at them AND activated the lazer. If you're a gun person, you can pick out a lazer sight, but if you're not, you won't know unless you're lit up with a red dot.
I think he walked away but after many thousands of dollars in attorney costs and his guns were taken away for almost a year.

The biggest question in my mind is, was the kid alone with the dog? Did anyone witness it? As far as I am concerned if the kid was alone with the dog there is no way for sure it was "unprovoked."

None of this means anything.

My Rot mix loved kids. Gently took french fries from a kid at the beach.Kid loved feeding her.Licked a kids feet to where he was going nuts.Then he grabbed her head and she about licked his face off.
2 pugs were bouncing off her butt when she was at her worse with bad hips.Then a little toddler walked by and fell on her butt.She thought it was the pugs.She turned to bark,saw the baby and dropped her head to the ground mid bark,thinking I was going to kill her right there.
BUT she stopped as soon as she knew it was a child,a human.
She knew the difference and the consequences of being aggressive towards any human.

Even provoked,the dog needs to be able to walk away.As much as I dislike most pit owners,they will usually tell you that kids can do whatever they want(jump on,ride,ear pulls,not hit) and the pit will walk away
If you can't ensure your dog won't attack a kid,then keep it away from them.
I did this with the first dog I ever trained,so most folks can too.

The Boxer will do it again

I would have probably killed the dog right there.
Now I love my dogs but if they ever bit a child I wouldn't even hesitate to end their existence.
Teenager or older? We'll give it another chance
Small child? Dog has issues.
Boxers have a dominance problem.They will go after another dog to dominate it and if it isn't a easy going lab or such,the fight is on. And dogs skin usually doesn't tear like a small child's skin.
I'm guessing this is what was happening.Doesn't make it OK by any means

No probably about it. I would have punched that dog's ticket immediately, regardless of the child's size.

I love dogs. Currently own three, a pair of Dobermans and a pit cross. I used to own a fourth, but I didn't hesitate to end my own dog when it bit a kid (10 yr old) unprovoked.

We have a boxer and a bull mastiff. My kids are 14 and 10 but my wife does day care. Neither of them have shown any aggressive behavior towards a kid. When we had our little dog she was locked up during day care hours because she would run after the kids snarling. All the kids love our girls Josie and Bella they are great dogs. V__1650.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top