JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My wife calls my GWP the anxiety dog. Something about the fact that she never sits still for any amount of time even after hunting all day.
:s0114::s0114:

Yeah My buds GWP is that way to and he always sits next to my yellow on the way to the hunt it drives him nuts since hes such a mellow lab lol.

Yeah... Pleople told me the GWP was very mellow compared to the GSP and a better house dog. Haha They also said they don't shed much either. My wife didn't want one for mental health reasons.

I knew I was screwed when I went to put a deposit down on the pup and the Dog was there in a kennel at the house. He was jumping about 5 feet staight up into the air trying to stick his head over the kennel fence for a half second. He was like some crazy furry pogo stick of a bearded ugly dog. The female as only slightly calmer, but about ready to drop the pups.

I never told my wife about the Dog and hoped we would get a mellow one. We all know how hope turned out, maybe at 2 she will change... That's what they all tell me know.

Hey Sprocket
If your dog is anything like mine they dont slow down tell around 7 or 8 years of age. Momas 8 and still clears the 6 foor fence in two steps. She hates squirrels tears the bejeuses out of them if she can catch one.

Heading out today to try and get another pheasant wish me luck all will report back later :)

Back at 3:00 nothing today no pheasant or quail. guess it was just an off day for us oh well better luck next time i guess :)

jp1985,

How's the weather been down your way?
I know the rain's returning for all of us here in the NW (that's you, too) and it's been a bit blustery, too.
Could be makin' the birds hunker down a little harder than usual.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sprocket3,

Cycle's right. Your pup is just hitting its prime. She won't be slowin' down for nobody for a few years yet....and in the case of my dog, what Nicky couldn't jump over, he learned to climb over. Really.

DeanMk

Weather has been great these past few weeks for birds (down here) it just been changing with the season these last few days. I went out last Tuesday and we brought in a huge male ring neck pheasant, i have yet to get another since but its still fun going :).

JP

Here's a really, really dumb question, fellas. Is it possible / advisable to get into bird hunting without dogs? It's something I'm interested in trying out, but have no interest in going to the time and financial commitment of owning and training the animals...

Here's a really, really dumb question, fellas. Is it possible / advisable to get into bird hunting without dogs? It's something I'm interested in trying out, but have no interest in going to the time and financial commitment of owning and training the animals...

Depends on what type of bird. Some, like quail and ruffed grouse you can stumble onto, but others, like chukars and wild pheasants, will lead you on a merry chase.

Dogs will up your success rate for sure, but not necessary. You will have a nice walk and get a few birds but most likely not as many......

Hey Will Power,

You can hunt upland without owning a dog....just get to know someone who has one. NEXT! :s0112:

Seriously, there are hunting lodges were you can go and hunt (mostly pheasant) and the resort owner has the dogs and takes you out.
He handles the dogs and lets you know when a bird is about to flush.
Your only job (really) is to enjoy your time in the field.

Here's a list of some lodges in Washington...Washington Wingshooting Directory | WA Pheasant Hunting Preserves and Shooting Clubs, Ranches

DeanMk

Weather has been great these past few weeks for birds (down here) it just been changing with the season these last few days. I went out last Tuesday and we brought in a huge male ring neck pheasant, i have yet to get another since but its still fun going :).

JP
Oh well, it was a thought.
...and yes, definately fun just going out there.

DeanMk

Hey Will Power,

You can hunt upland without owning a dog....just get to know someone who has one. NEXT! :s0112:

Seriously, there are hunting lodges were you can go and hunt (mostly pheasant) and the resort owner has the dogs and takes you out.
He handles the dogs and lets you know when a bird is about to flush.
Your only job (really) is to enjoy your time in the field.

Here's a list of some lodges in Washington...Washington Wingshooting Directory | WA Pheasant Hunting Preserves and Shooting Clubs, Ranches

DeanMk
OOPS.
Just noticed you're in Oregon. Here's the same directory, but for Oregon - Oregon Wingshooting Directory | Oregon Pheasant Hunting Preserves, Lodges, Guides, Outfitters
Apologies for the mix-up.

DeanMk

Just me and my hunting buddy, no dogs. Did see a bunch of Deer hunters, and a few Deer too. Nothing like being in the outdoors!

Here's a really, really dumb question, fellas. Is it possible / advisable to get into bird hunting without dogs? It's <broken link removed> I'm interested in trying out, but have no interest in going to the time and financial commitment of owning and training the animals...

I had the same dilemma and decided to try the ODFW pheasant workshop in Klamath this year. $50 for a two day trip, with guns (Rem 1187 20ga), ammo, and volunteer guides with dogs provided. I didn't get a bird as they seemed to flush towards my partner but I would recommend it in a heartbeat. We shot clays prior to hunting and I probably shot $20 worth of the provided steel ammo and got good instruction. Not too mention all the great advice given by the members of Unlimited Pheasants. My girlfriend went as well and enjoyed the no pressure, just have fun atmosphere. Since then I have hunted at Denman WA here in Southern OR without a dog and have got enough birds up to fill a few tags if my shooting skills were up to par. Also met a hunting partner that volunteered to take me out with his dog. I would have to say that in a few months hunting upland birds I have met more people willing to divulge all their secrets and help me than I could in a lifetime hunting deer or bass fishing. Since there are few wild pheasant left on the west side, it seems like everyone who loves to pheasant hunt is more than willing to teach a newbie so we will keep buying tags to pay for birds and keep the sport alive.

Be forewarned, a couple trips out and you will be looking for a dog. Watching a good dog work the birds makes the actual harvest an afterthought. A site to behold.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top