JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I see posts for bear, wolf, even rattlesnake (???), but nothing about Pheasant, Quail, Chuckars, etc.
Anyone on this board going out for upland?
Where are you going? How'd you do?
Help an old uplander live vicariously through your activities, since its not in the cards for me right now.

DeanMk

DSC00176.jpg
pheasants.jpg

I still go. Alot.

GWP, actually. Ellensburg, George, Walla Walla, Grand Ronde, Pendleton...I used to do a lot more hunting over here at the PRSs, but the one I liked to go to became a methane reclamation project site.

I see posts for bear, wolf, even rattlesnake (???), but nothing about Pheasant, Quail, Chuckars, etc.
Anyone on this board going out for upland?
Where are you going? How'd you do?
Help an old uplander live vicariously through your activities, since its not in the cards for me right now.

DeanMk

I have a young GWP and go every weekend. I will also make a couple trips this fall to Eastern Oregon. Walked about 10 miles on Sunday for one Rough Grouse. Though it was the best tasting Grouse i have ever had. The heat has not been fun the last few trips. I live on the west side of the state and I don't think we have very good hunting around here compared to other spots.

I also noticed a higher number of Band Tailed Pigeons and understand they are making a come back. Did you ever hunt those? I was told by a buddy of mine that they are a lost game bird now. Something about it being so long since they have been hunted that people now don't know how to hunt them even though they are coming back. I guess folks used to hunt them at certain springs up in the hill, but who knows where those springs are now was the concern. I only see them in tall trees and they bail pretty quick.

After working with my GWP for over a year i have a lot of respect for anyone that creates a great hunting dog out of one of these buggers.

Go on the East side mostly for Chukar....lots of excercise and fun to watch the dogs work. Depending on the hatch/year, it can be pretty good on BLM land......fun

I have a young GWP and go every weekend. I will also make a couple trips this fall to Eastern Oregon. Walked about 10 miles on Sunday for one Rough Grouse. Though it was the best tasting Grouse i have ever had. The heat has not been fun the last few trips. I live on the west side of the state and I don't think we have very good hunting around here compared to other spots.

I also noticed a higher number of Band Tailed Pigeons and understand they are making a come back. Did you ever hunt those? I was told by a buddy of mine that they are a lost game bird now. Something about it being so long since they have been hunted that people now don't know how to hunt them even though they are coming back. I guess folks used to hunt them at certain springs up in the hill, but who knows where those springs are now was the concern. I only see them in tall trees and they bail pretty quick.

After working with my GWP for over a year i have a lot of respect for anyone that creates a great hunting dog out of one of these buggers.

Sprocket3,

Never hunted in Oregon. I'm in Washington. Hunted at the old release site near the Mission Creek Youth Camp (Tahuya). Did a lot of hunting in George/Quincy (see pics in my last post), and did a fair amount of Chukar hunting out in Black Canyon (Wenas/Naches area).
Never hunted Band Tails, but remember hearing about folks who did.
I understand hunting Pigeon is pretty much like Dove, but bigger, so the target is just a hair easier to hit, but you've either gotta sneak up on them or hit 'em on the fly (like Dove).
I haven't heard of anyone hunting Band Tails for a long time, though.
If they're making a comeback, I wonder who's habitat they will take over?

DeanMk

Got spanked again Sunday. Walked 13 miles of dirt roads and didn't see a single Grouse.

Though I learned that I burn about 124 calories per mile accordign to my GPS. My pace while "hunting" was about 26 minutes per mile.

Hmm not sure then i guess it was just an off day? i have those sometimes when i go bird hunting as well what part of Oregon you in?

Hmm not sure then i guess it was just an off day? i have those sometimes when i go bird hunting as well what part of Oregon you in?

I'm in Salem, but was hunting above Detroit at around 3000 feet IIRC. It will be the last time I walk open roads though. When driving the area I saw a few birds the prior month, but I'm worried with all the other hunters driving through there they got taken in the first couple weeks of bow/bird season.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top