JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sorry if I missed it being discussed in the other sb 501 threads but I haven't seen it discussed. I believe Section 7. (1) lays out the requirement to complete the same background check process for your 20rnds of ammo as is required for transfer of firearm. Am I misreading it?

SECTION 7. (1) Notwithstanding the fact that ORS 166.412, 166.435 and 166.438 require a
gun dealer or other person transferring a firearm to request a criminal background check only when transferring a firearm, a gun dealer or other person transferring ammunition shall comply with the requirements of ORS 166.412, 166.435 and 166.438 before transferring any ammunition to another person.
(2) A person may not receive more than 20 rounds of ammunition in any 30-day time
period.
(3)(a) Any person transferring ammunition shall maintain a record of all ammunition
transferred by the person to ensure that a person does not receive more than 20 rounds of
ammunition in any 30-day time period.
(b) The Department of State Police is not required to maintain a record of ammunition
transfers under this section to ensure compliance with subsection (2) of this section.
(4) This section does not apply to ammunition purchased and used at a target shooting
range.
SEC

Sorry if I missed it being discussed in the other sb 501 threads but I haven't seen it discussed. I believe Section 7. (1) lays out the requirement to complete the same background check process for your 20rnds of ammo as is required for transfer of firearm. Am I misreading it?

SECTION 7. (1) Notwithstanding the fact that ORS 166.412, 166.435 and 166.438 require a
gun dealer or other person transferring a firearm to request a criminal background check only when transferring a firearm, a gun dealer or other person transferring ammunition shall comply with the requirements of ORS 166.412, 166.435 and 166.438 before transferring any ammunition to another person.
(2) A person may not receive more than 20 rounds of ammunition in any 30-day time
period.
(3)(a) Any person transferring ammunition shall maintain a record of all ammunition
transferred by the person to ensure that a person does not receive more than 20 rounds of
ammunition in any 30-day time period.
(b) The Department of State Police is not required to maintain a record of ammunition
transfers under this section to ensure compliance with subsection (2) of this section.
(4) This section does not apply to ammunition purchased and used at a target shooting
range.
SEC
I am assuming typical transfer and/or background check fees will apply. Those 20rnds will end up being pretty spendy.

Unenforcable BS.
Do you think my interpretation is right? If so regardless of whether or not they can enforce private transfers, they will enforce dealer sales and many online retailers will likely put Oregon on their do not sell to list. That has happened to California. And this law will be much more burdensome than California's ammo law for 20rnds of ammo.

Edit: After looking over SB 501 again, I believe CeasefireOR is wrong about the permit being needed for ammo transfers. But it would definitely be required for firearm purchases and it appears to me that one permit will be needed for each firearm purchase. I also understand the permit and fee for permit to be in addition to normal/existing background check and transfer fees.

Ceasefire OR had this listed on their website:
"The permit is valid for 90 days during which time the permit holder may, within a 30 day period,
  • purchase 20 rounds of ammunition (exception for shooting ranges),
  • purchase one handgun, and
  • purchase one rifle or shotgun"
Is permit system in addition to background check at time of purchase?

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads