JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hey!! I'm not new to guns at all, but this will be my first pistol. I have my list down to a few key things I want in a gun, please let me know if it exists, thank you in advance.
---I am 6 foot and 170 lbs so as much as I LOVE the px4 storm I cant really conceal it without wearing a trenchcoat:(
---MUST be .40 or .45 I want to send baddies to the morgue not the judge.:s0155:
---hammer, decocker, but no striker fire, I like the feeling of a hammer too much to go striker (sorry glocks).
---im a lefty, so ambi controls are a must, either out of the box or that I can switch myself.
---under the 600 dollar mark out the door, I see a gun as a tool. I don't need a golden hammer in the shop and I don't need a chrome 1911 with a scope.:s0114:
I NEED it to be comfortable because if I sit down I don't want to adjust constantly. I think this falls under no bricks...

It will be a ccw, bedside, in car gun. so must be comfortable, I know I will have to dress the part when I carry but I don't want to dread carrying a brick because I know I will leave home without it more and more.

any input is welcome, please don't blow this up why glocks are the best or "my 9mm will drop a baddie at 150 yds" this is just what im looking for in my ideal gun, so does it exist?:huh:

gun that I think takes the cake-- fnx40-- any others that are better?

FNH FNX? Beretta 96? I prefer the Sig's and H&K's, but they're outside your price range unless you find a great deal on a used one. I agree with you, I have striker fired semi autos, but I prefer the hammer fired guns. Good luck!

Personally, I'd go to a range that rents handguns a try a few to make sure you like the fit.

Oh, maybe a 1911 carry by Rock Island, or a used one in another brand.

where is a range in the Portland metro area that I can rent guns at?

A Place to Shoot on Delta Park (kind of behind Fisherman's Marine) ~ Their site says groups of 2 or more can rent guns so take a friend

The English Pit in East Vancouver (I don't think they have the selection you are looking for)

Those are the only two I've been to, but I'm sure there are more.

hey!! I'm not new to guns at all, but this will be my first pistol. I have my list down to a few key things I want in a gun, please let me know if it exists, thank you in advance.
---I am 6 foot and 170 lbs so as much as I LOVE the px4 storm I cant really conceal it without wearing a trenchcoat:(
---MUST be .40 or .45 I want to send baddies to the morgue not the judge.:s0155:
---hammer, decocker, but no striker fire, I like the feeling of a hammer too much to go striker (sorry glocks).
---im a lefty, so ambi controls are a must, either out of the box or that I can switch myself.
---under the 600 dollar mark out the door, I see a gun as a tool. I don't need a golden hammer in the shop and I don't need a chrome 1911 with a scope.:s0114:
I NEED it to be comfortable because if I sit down I don't want to adjust constantly. I think this falls under no bricks...

It will be a ccw, bedside, in car gun. so must be comfortable, I know I will have to dress the part when I carry but I don't want to dread carrying a brick because I know I will leave home without it more and more.

any input is welcome, please don't blow this up why glocks are the best or "my 9mm will drop a baddie at 150 yds" this is just what im looking for in my ideal gun, so does it exist?:huh:

gun that I think takes the cake-- fnx40-- any others that are better?

First things first. You want to stop the bad guy not put him in the morgue. Saying things like that online can put you in jail if you ever have to use your gun and the b g die's

Second there is no such thing as a perfect cc handgun. There are always tradeoff's, cal. Size. Cap.

First things first. You want to stop the bad guy not put him in the morgue. Saying things like that online can put you in jail if you ever have to use your gun and the b g die's

Second there is no such thing as a perfect cc handgun. There are always tradeoff's, cal. Size. Cap.

I know there isn't a perfect cc handgun, im listing things I want and I would like to know of a pistol that has all of them. and the way I see it cops shoot at center mass when a bg is headed there way. I will do the same, because if its between me and my family or a man with a knife, you bet your *** ill put him down. I wont aim for shooting the knife out of his hand, ill be stopping the threat.

I'm not calling you out, but your post does come across as suspicious. You are new, welcome; but you come on and ask for recommendations on a gun that will kill a bad guy, this either cries troll or vigilante wannabe. Neither of which are good for law abiding citizens. You do not need a gun to take a class, or to practice with it. There are plenty of gun ranges that offer classes. I know it's not required in Washington, but maybe a concealed carry class will help you understand some of the laws that govern carry.

lets back up, I use my guns as tools. home defense shotgun, I will use that to defend my home. bird shotgun? I shoot birds with it. hunting rifle? I shoot deer, elk etc with it. so naturally if I want a pistol for conceal carry, or DEFENSE, then I want to use it as a tool to DEFEND myself. I shouldn't have to point out that I am not after killing people, but I have had 2 buddies with 9mm and the ballistics don't seem convincing to me because a meth head running at me is a pretty scary sight. so should I be caught off guard with a gun I have to hit the target with 5 rounds? I don't believe I will have that much of an advantage, I don't intend to shoot anyone accually. but going on the 21 foot rule I will have an average of 3 seconds to draw my weapon, fire as many rounds as I can without a threat getting to me. to me a 9mm will not cut it. I want to STOP someone, not put holes in them. their are countless cases of a cop hitting a druggie with 8 or 9 rounds of 9mm and finally the guy crumples.

lets play this situation out for a minute. say your walking with your wife and 2 children at the Saturday market in Portland and a guy starts walking fast at you. he is following you to your car, all the while looking like a shady guy, someone who you don't associate with. lets say hes 10 feet behind you and pulls a knife, now how many seconds do you have before hes at you with said knife? 2 seconds? and what if your not ready? wouldn't you like to know that a larger caliber bullet that makes a bigger hole to STOP him from advancing further is in your gun instead of something smaller?

if i am in that situation, i will flip around as fast as possible, grab for my gun and probably hip fire/panic fire at the baddie. putting all my gun has to offer into him. i don't want a small caliber, i want a show stopper when it comes to situations like this. I will be taking the Oregon conceal carry course come this January and i will be at the range and practicing quite a bit with drawing my gun on a target to be prepared if this case arises.

Just 1 more quick note: The OR concealed carry course is not adequate training IMO, but it's a start. Good luck lilrhino, try a few before you buy and get your training, muscle memory and fight or flight decision making skills sharpened. Never stop training.

For concealed carry in Oregon, you have to go to a "gun safety class". This class is useless... It's a requirement that's been dumbed down as far as possible. It meets the "competency" requirement, but it won't teach you anything about lawful concealed carry. In Oregon, please reference Oregon Leg. 166, I don't remember the reference for Washington. The Place to Shoot in Delta Park offers many beginner pistol classes.

As far as gun suggestions go, I carry a government 1911. Good luck lefty!

lets back up, I use my guns as tools. home defense shotgun, I will use that to defend my home. bird shotgun? I shoot birds with it. hunting rifle? I shoot deer, elk etc with it. so naturally if I want a pistol for conceal carry, or DEFENSE, then I want to use it as a tool to DEFEND myself. I shouldn't have to point out that I am not after killing people, but I have had 2 buddies with 9mm and the ballistics don't seem convincing to me because a meth head running at me is a pretty scary sight. so should I be caught off guard with a gun I have to hit the target with 5 rounds? I don't believe I will have that much of an advantage, I don't intend to shoot anyone accually. but going on the 21 foot rule I will have an average of 3 seconds to draw my weapon, fire as many rounds as I can without a threat getting to me. to me a 9mm will not cut it. I want to STOP someone, not put holes in them. their are countless cases of a cop hitting a druggie with 8 or 9 rounds of 9mm and finally the guy crumples.

lets play this situation out for a minute. say your walking with your wife and 2 children at the Saturday market in Portland and a guy starts walking fast at you. he is following you to your car, all the while looking like a shady guy, someone who you don't associate with. lets say hes 10 feet behind you and pulls a knife, now how many seconds do you have before hes at you with said knife? 2 seconds? and what if your not ready? wouldn't you like to know that a larger caliber bullet that makes a bigger hole to STOP him from advancing further is in your gun instead of something smaller?

if i am in that situation, i will flip around as fast as possible, grab for my gun and probably hip fire/panic fire at the baddie. putting all my gun has to offer into him. i don't want a small caliber, i want a show stopper when it comes to situations like this. I will be taking the Oregon conceal carry course come this January and i will be at the range and practicing quite a bit with drawing my gun on a target to be prepared if this case arises.

I guess you misunderstood me when I said you want to stop the b g. I did not mean to shoot the gun out of his hand or any of that other stuff what I meant was
You want to stop him if that means you have to use 5 rounds of a 45 to stop him then that is what you use but with putting it online that you want to put the by in the morgue you are setting yourself up like others have said that you want to kill them instead of stopping them.

I never said kill, i said stop. I dont believe i have the capacity to kill, i do however have the capacity to stop someone from hurting me or mine.

This kind of language on an online forum will get you in legal trouble in the event that you ever have to use your firearm to protect yourself, and the bad guy succumbs to his wounds.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top