JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The PX4 Storm comes in a compact. Based on your requirements I'd say that is a great option. Accessories like holsters and mags may be harder to find but the FN isn't all that small and they don't make a compact (yet).

For lefties I always suggest a M&Pc but if you're sold on a hammer fire then the Beretta PX4 Storm Compact is likely your best bet. The Sub-Compact is not fully Ambi.

+1 for the FNX-40. pretty much right up your alley based on the description of firearm you're looking for. I've picked up an FNX-9 and pretty much love everything about it from weight, feel, the adjustable backstraps and how it shoots.

Probably out of the price range unless you find a used one, but I would start and end your search somewhere in the Sig catalog. just my 2 cents. Whatever you get, get some training and then practice practice and practice some more

I will echo someone else's input and also say, I would not suggest a government size 1911 for 1.it's heavy 2. The good ones are way out of your price point. Also Sigs are thick and heavy too and they cost more than 600. You should be looking at compact and sub compact size pistols for carry so you will have it on you if you ever need, not at home. I would reconsider your caliber choice, then that would give you some better options in 9mm.

Some options be: like a 357 revolver form ruger, practice with 38's and carry 357mags. I think that would be your win win choice. The ruger 357lcr is light,small, packs a punch and is cheeper than $600.

I have taken the Orgon permit class and its good, but deffently get some more training and a very good holster for whatever gun you choose forsure. This is coming from someone who has owned all those said guns and has carried for over 10 years.

I never said kill, i said stop. I dont believe i have the capacity to kill, i do however have the capacity to stop someone from hurting me or mine.

If you are not ready to kill when threatened by a criminal then you are not ready to carry or use a gun in any situation where you might have to protect yourself or your family.

Solid steel .45 blow a guy off his feet in one shot, I can bet he won't want to get back up. And what he said. You can't shoot to stop, you shoot to incapacitate, always chest, aim centers mass, head is murder, below the was is aggregated assault or something like that.

I don't care how or where you are shooting him, you are here because you think you need some help with selections. I think the FNX-40 or 45 or the Compact PX Storm in .40 would work for you. Have you already bought or made up your mind?

I have much to say, and very little time:

1. Defensive handgun calibers: they all suck. Yes, even 45ACP. There is just not enough energy to do a whole lot of damage. Research the InterWeb. There is plenty on this topic. The best self defense cartridge compromise, IMO, is 9mm luger. Reasonable energy, reasonable terminal ballistics (whole size and penetration), higher round count and relatively , low recoil. This is particularly important because the crux in SF is shot placement.

2. There is no such thing as a perfect CC gun - They all represent compromises. My advise, just get a gun, any gun that meets your most important requirements today. It doesn't matter much. Once you get some training, and start cc, start practicing regularly, etc., your concept of your "preferred" cc gun will mature. And more cc handguns will come. Ask anyone here. That's how it is. My first one was a small SA/DA-all steel 9x18mm surplus. After several years I switched to a super-light 357Mag snubby. Now I cc a Shield 9mm. I can't see myself going back to SA/DA for cc.

3. Get training - As said before, OR minimum requirements are not enough. To be brief, visit Oregon Firearms Academy LLC. They are highly recommended. Enroll in as many handgun classes as you can afford. You won't be sorry.

4. Don't forget about the holsters - ask anyone here how many cc holsters they have, and how many they actually use. We all try a hole bunch of them until we nail the one that really works for us. Comes with the territory. Over time, you get better at choosing the right one the first time.

5. Do not rule out striker fired handguns - I really don't like them, in fact, I hate them, there! BUT, to protect your life and loved ones, what works best is more important than what I like. Striker fired have two big advantages that outweight its disadvantages: a. simplicity (no fumbling with safeties), b. trigger pull is the same every time.

And there is so much more than just caliber and handgun. But, you got to start somewhere. Start with the above.

I really liked C75's statement there. Actually it helps me in my ongoing thoughts about CCW. I decided this year to direct my own savings towards buying an AK variant instead of a pistol, simply because I'm worried about them being targeted by legislation than pistols, and it'll still work for any other role I might need, from hunting to self-defense in a crisis.

The other list of stuff I'm looking for myself is big. There's preferences I've formed myself, like smooth trigger pull and a full size grip, and actual needs. In a rural area, I'm more worried about animals than humans for the most part, not too troubled by capacity, and not too troubled by size. But when I look at all those little factors I realize it's going to take a lot of experimentation, and it's darn nice to hear that it's okay to experiment.

Dont forget the Public Safety Building on 82nd

To the OP, I am about the same height, weight and like you... left handed....
I JUST picked up a SIG P226 in .357 Sig (and a German frame to boot!) used from Keiths in Gresham for $400 OUT THE DOOR!
I must say, as most of the controls are on the left side of the gun, I have adapted to it already. I do believe the mag release is ambi so tomorrow I might see what it takes to swap that around.

As for other suggestions for what to get, I would suggest the CZ P06 or even the P09 (only comes in 9mm or .40 however)
Also staying below the $600 price point, I would look at some of the Khar arms stuff given that it sounds like you want to do concealed carry.
Also maybe give a look at the M&P or SD series from S&W.
If I had not gotten such a good deal on the Sig, I would of more than likely of gone that way in all honesty (but I am a CZ man at heart so there would of been some debate none the less)
Oh and the XD would be in your price range as well and they do make a fine compact as well.
Hmmm... OH! YEAH!.. The P250 from Sig! LOVED the feel of that gun and its DA trigger is REALLY nice to (ok to me, but vs something like any other DAO gun.. its damn nice)

If you ever want to have someone to hit the range with, hit me up! (that goes for about anyone on here reading this)

"....if i am in that situation, i will flip around as fast as possible, grab for my gun and probably hip fire/panic fire at the baddie. putting all my gun has to offer into him...."

And If I'm in your line of fire behind the 'baddie', you'll potentially kill or wound me and / or my family. Don't be stupid; I don't care what the situation is....you watch and note your backstop, and aim your fire. The trick is to be able to do that quickly and efficiently. That takes focus and practice. "Spray and pray" won't cut it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top