JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Let me begin by stating:

a) I am not Catholic, and

b) I am (obviously) not Pagan.

That said, in 933 A.D. Pope Constantine moved the date of Christ's birth to the position in currently holds to draw attention away from the Pagan celebrations of the period. In 1945, the American economy needed a "jump start" after the GI Joes and Janes returned from overseas. This resulted in a mass marketing campaign never seen before in our nation's history. (We had to put our men and women back to work somehow)! Personally, I cannot afford anything to do with the "holiday" season, and I have no family upon which to bestow such frivolous, and absurd, indulgences.

To a lesser degree, I tolerate the "seasonal trappings" foisted upon the public at large, urbanely smiling my way through it as I would my own heart transplant. After listening to the insults and pointless abusive invectives of "Scrooge" and other such nonsense. I wade my way through the "Holiday Season" often much the worse for wear. (Sorry, cloying, maudlin sentiment doesn't have an impact on my sensibilities).

I tire of the "I'm not a Christian because I don't celebrate Christmas" premise. I reserve my celebrations for the day when Christ arose from the grave (a far more important date, because this is from whence our Salvation is derived).

Does anyone, besides me, suffer from this?

Family celebrations have devolved over the years. I wouldn't make a huge deal about it, but I do have a 15 month old son. For his sake, I will celebrate with the standard cultural trappings, as I think he'll enjoy it. The beauty of the lights and trees. Opening presents around the tree on Christmas morning. My wife has to work for at least a portion of the two days.

As for the reason for the season, I will teach my son about the birth of Christ. I understand what you are talking about the actual dates, but I figure if I teach him correctly, when won't be as important as what...

2. Religious and non-firearm political content is prohibited
We are a single-issue organization, focused solely on bringing people together in support of the 2nd Amendment. Religious and political content is inherently divisive, working against the very goals of our organization. This includes news-related content that our staff believes may cause division. This rule applies to the site in its entirety, including the Off Topic section.

It is important to note that firearm-related political content is not prohibited. However, clear attempts to fabricate this relation may be considered a rule violation.

@Captain O this is bound to turn into a religious argument that does not belong here at NWFA. We are here to discuss firearms and firearm-related topics. Please read the rules found in the very lower right hand of any page.

Thread closed.

Status

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class