JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Saw some recipes on on Youtube but wanted to see if anyone has tried a recipe personally. Want to test some high speed 22 ammo relative to each other to see if they have enough damage potential for coyote hunting (close range of course).

I've seen pretty much all the youtube videos (some of which are excellent) but I want to compare aquila supermaximum 1700fps 30 grain, to cci velocitor 40 grain 1435ish fps vs. CCi stinger 32 grain 1640fps head-to-head. I am not looking for "FBI test spec" gel or anything like that. I just want to use leather plus the same ballistic gel for all 3 rounds to see how they perform relative to each other.

Thanks!

Head shot - probably.

Body shot - lotta possibility it will run off and bleed out.

Is .223 and option?

Well I eventually want to do close-in shooting suppressed. My understanding of the .223 and similar is that velocity is the key to it's effectiveness. Suppression on .223 calls for low velocity rounds so I'm thinking it would lose it's benefit.

I have seen some successful examples of 22-250 suppressed and some 22LR coyote hunting and I'm sure anything more powerful than the lowly 22lr would be better but I have purchased the 22 can and am just curious if it could do it.

I agree about headshots. I use a crazy-accurate CO2 .177 pistol for instant kills (usually via earhole, under the chin-soft palate, etc.) on fox-squirrel sized critters and it works amazingly well. Everyone says that co2 pistol doesn't have have enough power for that size varmint.

I don't know if these fastest 22LR would have enough power, but I'm curious. I definitively wouldn't shoot them on an angled portion of the skull such as forehead because they may just glance off. Most likely earhole or between earhole and eye, side shot only.

Either of the two CCI mentioned will work fine IF you are good enough to make Head Shots. A load of Number 4 Buck from a 12 bore will also work!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The CCI Coppers are all over the place after about 50y. Those ones that run like 1840fps....

300blk suppresses great;)
Since you mentioned this I have been looking at 300 Blk AR prices and there are some very inexpensive options, namely the Diamond back db15 and Omni ATI, in the $400-$500 range. This actually may be the best way to go despite the cost. Biggest issue will be cost of the suppressor. Maybe they make a hybrid suppressor that can cover 9mm and 300blk then I could justify it as killing 2 birds with one stone. I'll have to research it more.

Also my understanding of shooting 300blk subsonic rounds is that it would be more accurate with a higher twist rate of the rifling. So I was thinking maybe get a pistol version of the AR (for maximum flexibility in future mods) and add a longer higher twist barrel at some point in the future. Just thinking out loud... Thanks for the idea!

My understanding of the .223 and similar is that velocity is the key to it's effectiveness. Suppression on .223 calls for low velocity rounds so I'm thinking it would lose it's benefit.
Huh?

Even with a 7.5" barrel you'd still get close to 2000 FPS with ball ammo. You'd likely still get excellent results with 40-50 grain varmint ammo out of a 7.5" barrel. That's at least 400-600 FPS faster than the fastest 22lr I can think of in the shortest barrel configuration available for 223/556. Imagine if you just ran a regular 16" barrel, your going to get 2400-3600 FPS with various ammunition. Way faster and much more accurate than any 22lr.

Unless you are talking about using subsonic 223 ammo, I'm not understanding what you've said here.

Huh?

Even with a 7.5" barrel you'd still get close to 2000 FPS with ball ammo. You'd likely still get excellent results with 40-50 grain varmint ammo out of a 7.5" barrel. That's at least 400-600 FPS faster than the fastest 22lr I can think of in the shortest barrel configuration available for 223/556. Imagine if you just ran a regular 16" barrel, your going to get 2400-3600 FPS with various ammunition. Way faster and much more accurate than any 22lr.

Unless you are talking about using subsonic 223 ammo, I'm not understanding what you've said here.
Yes talking about subsonic 223.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top