JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone here have any experience with this? I'm due to fill up tomorrow, and have kept track of mileage for the last 1 1/2 years, so will give it a try. But I'm interested in any anecdotal stories or experiences you might have.

Max

Well, here is what car talk has to say. I would tend to agree with them, but I don't have any experience actually doing this.

<broken link removed>

I would say that you need to be CAREFUL putting it in your tank. It disolves paint on contact!

I have heard of people doing this and seeing a very small increase at first. I think it is due to the engine, and all parts associated with the fuel system getting a good cleaning from the acetone. If you ever take a good whif of "engine cleaner" or injector cleaner it smells alot like acetone.

What is the cost of the acetone? Add that in and figure out miles per dollar versus miles per gallon. It is a trick the car companies use on some cars. A high hp V6 may make the same hp a V8 makes and gets better miles per gallon. Now figure in that premium fuel costs about 25 cents more per gallon and the cost to the consumer can actually be more. The car company saves money by lowering their overall Corporate Average Fuel Economy rating.

Back when I use to race, we would use toulene as an octane booster. It is one of the main ingredients in octane boosters. You really need to know your stuff before you go mixing chemicals and running them through your car. For the average driver, filling up at Cheveron works just fine.

Having both been trained in organic chemistry, and run high-octane formulations in racing sport bikes, I agree with the above posted. Skip it - this is bunk.

1) At $20/gallon, adding acetone to your fuel is not very cost effective.
2) for a cleaning benefit, check out Techron additives or fuel at Chevron as stated.

Skip the grapevine myths, go with science and experience.

So you're saying I should put 2 gallons of Toulene in my Tacoma Prerunner when I fill up tomorrow?

Just kidding.

On a side note, a friend of mine had an old 2 tank pickup and would fill one tank with 100LL avgas. Talk about power!

I've heard of using acitone in small amounts very seldom to clean out the engine. To much to often will eat your seals and gaskets. Does anyone know how to spell gasket?

1) At $20/gallon, adding acetone to your fuel is not very cost effective.

At a ratio of 3 ounces of acetone per ten gallons of gas (the commonly accepted best amount to use), I think I can afford the extra 47 cents per 10 gallons. My vehicle may be a good one for this test: I've only got a little over 6,000 miles on it, and have a good record of my average mileage per gallon for the last 4,500 miles. I filled it up yesterday, and added five ounces of acetone for about seventeen gallon of gas. It was on empty, so the ratio should be close to correct. Will post the results when I fill up next time.

PS...If acetone is merely good for engine fuel system cleaning, it's still a lot cheaper than the over-the-counter additives!

Max

I tried acetone in my VW diesel for a few months. I used the recommended ratio and did not see a significant change (positive or negative) in my mileage. I have been keeping track of my mpg since i bought the car.

A small amount of biodiesel (2&#37; to 5%) seems to give me better results.

I have heard of people doing this and seeing a very small increase at first. I think it is due to the engine, and all parts associated with the fuel system getting a good cleaning from the acetone. If you ever take a good whif of "engine cleaner" or injector cleaner it smells alot like acetone.

Exactly, all you will be doing is cleaning the injector nozzles so that they vaporize the fuel better to get a full burn. If you use a good fuel injector cleaner like Barryman's regularly and keep a clean air filter you will have the gas milage. Once an injector gets a buildup of deposits it tends to half dribble and half spray fule into the manifold which will cause poor milage. I usually tell people to run two bottles of cleaner the first time and within three days they see a milage and performance difference. Just be sure the filter is change regularly as well. With some of the fuel companies additives there is risk of build up. Back when I was running a diesel for work and the card lock was using super red the filter catch would be full of the additive particles at service. On a side note just before changing your oil/filter drain a quart and put in a quart of ATF and run for one day then do the chainge this a good way to flush out the oil system and remove deposits that can effect milage and performance. That my :s0159::s0159:

Back before this topic was a so-called internet MYTH.

Around 1993 through 1996
I drove a 1973 VW Bus to and from Las Vegas Nv.
and L.A. every weekend.
the Bus had a 1700 engine 4 cyl.

Tank held 11 gallons
i would add 4 ounces Acetone in the Tank, "then fill it",,, to get it to mix well.

for a FACT, going up the Cajon Pass ( a steep 10 mile grade)
I passed every hot rod on the freeway.

Does it improve gas mileage?
For that VW Bus it did.

Does it up Horse Power?
No Doubt it did for that Old VW Bus.

Here is what i was told back then

1. 4 Ounces to 10 gallons of Gas( Low or high Octane,)
2. NEVER use it in a Vehicle with an Internal fuel Pump
(seals may be ate up on the fuel pump in the Gas Tank)
3. add Acetone prior to adding Gas to Tank to allow it to mix well.

I can attest that on that Old VW Bus with twin carbs, that it did indeed improve performance greatly as well as
improved my gas mileage.

On Old Vehicles that ran on leaded Gas like that Old Bus.
This was the ticket to alleviating Low Octane engine Ping.

I do not know what it will do on todays fuel injected cars

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads