JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My CCW G30, always one in the chamber.
My G21 by my bed, always one in the chamber.
My Mossberg in my bedroom, full tube one in the chamber, safety on.
Everything else unloaded, but ammo nearby

no. I have all rifles, except one shotgun and one black powder revolver.

all the firearms are cased in the closet, the ammunition is in steel ammo cans in the shop. Except the shotgun. It's by my bed with five in the elastic sleeve on the stock. I sort of feel if I'm not awake enough to load a break action shotgun, I'm not awake enough to shoot at something.

The first week I carried I carried with an empty chamber, I then overcame my fear and now it's condition 1 in my carry guns.

Shotgun is kept with a loaded mag, action open, simply let the action fly and it's ready to go..

Agreed, no point in carrying an empty gun

Unless of course you're one of the gang bangers who carry "clips" for their handguns and shoot them sideways. All the "gangstas" trying to be like 50 Cent or Eminem carry them empty because of their music, apparently they like to use them as clubs too.

50 Cent - I'll whip ya head boy said:
I'll Whip Your Head Boy, you know I will
I'll Whip Your Head Boy, with the back of the steal

or

Eminem - Don't approach me said:
And you wonder why I carry every gun under the sun
whether it's unloaded full or an un-registered one

Apparently, rappers are against gun violence by telling their listeners to be like them and carry unloaded weapons. Good for them :s0155:

I have young children so no I do not keep one in the chamber. I do have my mags loaded but thy too are not loaded in the gun. The guns that are not in the safe are keep high and away from my kids but hey, kids are kids, they could still get to them. I got to my dads we I was young. I believe what is most important is the training I am giving them to let them know that a gun can kill them. They are dangerous and should be handled with the utmost respect. This I believe is way more important then having one in the chamber or not.

If I have time to chamber a round..I have time to leave....:s0131:

tombstone.jpg

exactly

If it's not chambered you might as well carry it around with a trigger lock on it. When seconds count you need every one you can get. Plus what if you only have one working hand? (injury, restrained, etc.)

I wouldn't carry a gun that isn't safe to carry with one in the chamber. In my case, it will either be a DAO semi-auto or an uncocked DA/SA.

Ok, you've convinced me to keep one in the tube, but I carry a CZ82 and cannot engage the safety unless the hammer is back, so I'm thinking about carrying without safety, hammer down... My holster covers the trigger but not the safety, so I believe this is safer?

Absolutely. Might as well be carrying an unloaded gun otherwise. Unless you've specifically trained over and over to rack in a round, just keep your finger off the trigger and you'll be fine.

Cocked and locked in with DA and SA, external safety on if there is one.

Yep, I do. A reminder do not rechamber the same round a number of times. I suspect some part of the Glock Kabooms occur from clearing the weapon and rechamber the same round. It drives the bullet futher back into the case, shortens OAL, and increases the pressures. All handguns have a chambered round at all times. Long guns outside of cabinates, (magazine fed) have full magazines with the chambers empty.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top