JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just a question, because I know some people do, some people don't, some people do on some guns but not others.

I used to not keep a round in the chamber, but keep the magazine full on my G19, but keep one in the chamber on my 870 and .22.
After shooting a lot more with it and getting comfortable with it, while running (literally running) tactical drills with it, I keep one in the chamber of that too.
I feel comfortable with one ready to go at a moments notice where I wasn't too much before due to the Glock's internal only safety system.

So my question to you is, Do you keep one in the chamber at all times? On all guns? Why or why not?

I used to Not carry one in the chamber with my CC gun but i do now cause i feel more comfortable with it and the holster its in. As For my Shot gun I do with safety on as well as my AR15 Both next to my bed

Yep! I have in every gun ive carried and any one that I plan to use in a SD situation. My shotgun is the only one ide consider NOT keeping one in the hole because of that scary sound of a racking a shotgun slide. You wont have time to pop one in the chamber of your carry gun if you actually NEED it.

With my ccw(p-11), I keep one in the chamber. It's DAO trigger is 8.5 lbs and about 10 miles long, so I doubt it's gonna go off accidentally.

On the other hand, my mossy 500a that I would use for home defense I do not keep a round in the chamber--just keep the mag full and the short barrel installed. My thinking is that 1) I'll have my ccw close and 2) the sound of a pump shotty getting a round chambered is exactly the sound I want mr badguy to hear...

If I have time to chamber a round..I have time to leave....:s0131:

tombstone.jpg

I carry a 1911. It's cocked and locked even when I get home and take it off. When I kept an SKS handy at home, mag loaded, nothing in the chamber. If I kept a shotgun ready for home defense, it would be a full tube, but nothing in the chamber.

Am I the only one that keeps a round chambered in my 12 gauge at all times? I run it with birdshot in the chamber and 6x 00 Buck in the mag.
My theory is, if you go out with a unloaded weapon, you're just asking for trouble. Better be ready to pull that trigger in an instant and neutralize that threat. I don't care about the intimidation factor of a pump gauge being racked. The sight of it pointing at the BG should be intimidation enough, especially if you're going at it confident and not racking it. Rule #1, assume all guns are loaded all the time. Having to rack it just shows the BG that you were unprepared and might not have it all together.

Sure the sight and sound is intimidating, but a gun's not for intimidating, it's for shooting.

I love that, stolen!

I always keep a round in the chamber and if I am carrying my 45acp 1911, its cocked and locked. Heck its hard enough to even find the safety when you are freaked out.
And that's why I choose to carry a gun without an external safety. With one loaded, I have one thing I need to do, pull the trigger. I don't want any complications, just draw and shoot.

At first I would not carry a semi-auto with one in the chamber. I would carry a revolver with all cylinders full, but not a semi-auto. After awhile I got comfortable enough to carry a semi-auto that had manual safeties with one in the pipe. Now, even with guns that have no manual safety (like Glock and Kahr) I am comfortable carrying with one in the chamber. It is all about become familiar and comfortable with your firearm and trusting it to function as designed. It also helps to become comfortable and familiar with proper holsters too.

That's why I made the complete transition to wheel-guns about 8 years ago. I keep all six holes stuffed at all times, no questions asked. The best safety is the one between your ears.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top