JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have owned several Mark II pistols. 6 7/8" Slab side and 5.5" bull barrel. I have a 5.5" Mark III
and a S&W Victory. No problems disassemble and cleaning. My theory about optimum barrel length is
5.5" if it is scoped or dot sight. If you put a dot sight or scope on the pistol that negates the advantage
of the longer sight radius. Longer barrels have longer bullet dwell time. So many manufactures offer
bull barrels in 5.5 inch? Ruger, Smith and Wesson model 41 and Victory and Browning offer 5.5 " barrels.
I have put some money into these pistols triggers and sights.
1657117901363.png

Last Edited:
The Mk IV tactical with a mile of rails

View attachment 1236918 View attachment 1236922
Logos makes a nice red dot plate. I put one on my mark iv lite pretty clean mount.

Logos makes a nice red dot plate. I put one on my mark iv lite pretty clean mount.

Damn I like the look of that. If they were not sold out currently I would have ordered up one now. Long toyed with taking Wife's old MKII to a Smith to be drilled and tapped. One of those would be sweet on that too. Thanks for showing that!

Damn I like the look of that. If they were not sold out currently I would have ordered up one now. Long toyed with taking Wife's old MKII to a Smith to be drilled and tapped. One of those would be sweet on that too. Thanks for showing that!
No problem. I would of taken a picture of my Lite but been busy and then had to work most of the day. Then got pinned down with my kid wanting to nap on me lmao.

They were on back order when I found the mount waited till they came back into stock.
20220709_172528.jpg 20220709_172501.jpg 20220709_172454.jpg 20220709_172438.jpg

My only problem with the Mk series is I can't find a Mk IV stainless target with a threaded barrel. I should have bought the first one I saw when it was released but thought I'd wait until it got a little cheaper. Now they are super hard to find and cost more than that one would have. Oh well. Live and learn. I have a Mk IV 22/45 Lite in green with a threaded barrel to keep me busy for now.

Picture of the elusive beasty:
RUG40126_2_HR.jpg

My only problem with the Mk series is I can't find a Mk IV stainless target with a threaded barrel. I should have bought the first one I saw when it was released but thought I'd wait until it got a little cheaper. Now they are super hard to find and cost more than that one would have. Oh well. Live and learn. I have a Mk IV 22/45 Lite in green with a threaded barrel to keep me busy for now.

Picture of the elusive beasty:
View attachment 1237431
Wife wanted one of the target models with the 10" tube. Kept talking about it, could never make up her mind which of the 2. I was finally just going to buy the stainless one for her and by that time they were NOT to be found anywhere. :mad:

I had a standard 4 3/4" in the 90's. Thought it looked cool and shot well, but I didn't like the butt-heavy balance. I sold it to a buddy in the Navy.

I bought another 4 3/4" standard in Mk2 because I forgot I didn't like the balance. Sold it.

Fast forward to this year... yep same thing! Bought & sold ANOTHER standard 4 3/4" Mk2.

I just prefer my Buck marks.
Lol
Get a bull barrel target. Problem solved.
Indeed! Slab side victory in Athens, and bull barrel 5"? It's not your short skinny stubby, They balance pretty nicely. Kinda want to try a Buckmark though. I always loved that pistol carbine setup they make.
I guess both of these both went up in value a bit.

Mk1 4.75" bull barrel. Nice pistol but just a tad clunky to carry around. I once considered cutting the barrel to @ 3", but a dealer I know advised against anything that would ruin it's resale as a rare piece. I keep it in memory of the guy who sold it to me, who was later shot dead accidentally by his business partner.

Last Edited:
Wife wanted one of the target models with the 10" tube. Kept talking about it, could never make up her mind which of the 2. I was finally just going to buy the stainless one for her and by that time they were NOT to be found anywhere. :mad:
Lol should of bought both and sold or kept what she didn't want...... check gun broker sometimes you can find decent deals.

Lol should of bought both and sold or kept what she didn't want...... check gun broker sometimes you can find decent deals.
Yep. When both were there to be had I should have just picked one and bought the damn thing. Not sure what the hell is going on at the factory lately but there has been none to be had for a good while now. Keep checking the auction every so often and nothing. Sooner or later one will finally pop back up but its been amazing how long they have been gone. :(

Yep. When both were there to be had I should have just picked one and bought the damn thing. Not sure what the hell is going on at the factory lately but there has been none to be had for a good while now. Keep checking the auction every so often and nothing. Sooner or later one will finally pop back up but its been amazing how long they have been gone. :(
Stainless is in short supply around the world. High end Stainless is even harder to get. Even good quality steel is somewhat hard to get and we still have a substantial labor shortage. What model are you looking for? Since I am building 2 from the ground up I've been looking a lot for parts and finding all sorts of complete pistol

I bought a Mark II with standard 4-3/4 in. bbl. in 1980's, liked it and decided to buy a spare. It took me a while to realize that with this design, you don't really need a spare so I let one go. Later I let the other one go. In 2002, I bought a second hand Mark II with the 4-3/4 in. bull barrel. Made in 1984. Which I've decided that I like to shoot better than the standard barrel. I've kept that one. In 2014, I bought a Standard Ruger .22, made in 1972, didn't keep it long; I'd bought it on a whim.

My cousin still has his Standard Ruger .22 pistol, first handgun he bought when he turned age 21 in 1957.

My problem is I have a MkIII bull barrel from 1982 that I've never taken apart to thoroughly clean.
Someday I'll grab a six pack, crank up Youtube and have another go at it.
I might be able to take mine apart and put it back together again from memory, but I keep the little paper with the instructions should the need arise. I seem to remember the trick is to hold it upside down to get the link in the right position when reassembling.

Ruger changed the magazine design between Marks, which I found out once when buying spares.

These days, my grandson mostly uses the Mark II. It has acquired a few more scratches on it since he started using it. That's one thing about Rugers, you don't care much if they start showing sign of use.

Ruger pistol magazines are a source of confusion. I was told many times over the years that I can't use MK2 mags in my old Standard, or that the button would have to be moved. It confused me because I had been using them for years without modification. The MK2 magazines are so much better than the old 9-round early mags; I never use the old ones at all, ever. I have a pile of MK2 mags and use them with complete interchangeability in my Standard and MK2 pistols.

I found out over the years that Ruger changed their frames in the mid 1950's, and that the real early gun were different. The magazine button was on the opposite side on those.

Nope. Had a beautiful example and it was one of the most boring guns to shoot that I can remember. Beautiful gun and no problems at all. But very boring imo. Just my experience.
I'm sincerely curious- what makes a gun boring? If it's not inaccurate, unreliable, or poorly balanced; is it just the caliber, or something else?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top