JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've decided that I want to try an AK kit, but I'm torn on which model to go with.
I'm not huge into AKs, so I'd like to know what kinds are considered the best.
Also, it'd be handy if the parts kits were readily available.

The AK Builder receiver flats on Brownells lists the following models-

-AK-47 7.62x39 Standard
-AK-47 Polish Underfolder

-AK-74 5.45x39
-AK-74 Bulgarian Sidefolder

-Hungarian AMD 65
-Yugo M92 Underfolder
-7.62 Fixed Stock AKS

I'm kinda partial to the Bulgarians, having owned an SLR, but I think the parts kits are rare.

I think I'd like the 7.62x39, but I'd also like to do a 6.5 Grendel, which I believe I'd need a AK-74 receiver for.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!
-K

right now unless you find deals, the rifles are a better deal, the yugo OPAPs are gems for the 550$ price they want (might have just sold out of this batch) if i were you id grab some standard ak74 and ak47 flats, they will be the cheapest.
also why would you want a 6.5 AK, thats just an AR trying to be more like a 7.62 ak!

Well, for what it's worth I had the same 'dilemma' not too long ago.. I went with the Polish Underfolder (7.62x39)
It was a close race.. truth be told the end choice was mostly made on a whim.

I put quite a bit of thought into it - I'm sure I'm repeating stuff you've already thought about and know, but maybe it'll help your decision :)
7.62x39's/AK-47's have been around longer so that = cheaper more plentiful mags, more available parts, aftermarket accessories, etc..
The 7.62x39's a pretty impressive round too - that stubby cartridge is pushing that big .30cal round so it's not quite as accurate as the 5.45 - but I already have an AR-15 in 5.56.. plus (like so man AK fans point out) it's more than accurate enough for hitting "man sized" targets at further than you'll ever need it.
Also 7.62/.30cal bullets are the standard for lots of calibers, so you've got more versatility for reloading..

[ed] Not to mention the barrels and parts kits are everywhere. I'm a big fan of versatility so the underfolder just seemed like the obvious choice (some people just don't like 'em though).

I'm assuming ya just like builds, but if this is a money thing you might be better off picking up a Saiga and converting it or an AK on sale.

...But in the end, whichever one you don't get you can buy later :)

I'm not sure it's worth building them from kits anymore. I see kits without barrels going for more than I've paid for several AKs
I've built several in both 7.62 and 5.45. (Romanian, Bulgarian, Polish). If you are into building a kit, I'd go with a Krinkov SBR, if you can get it (Yugo or Bulgi, in 7.62 or 5.45). They are pricey as heck, and you will need help if you land a "virgin" kit, and that's in top of the 200 fed tax and an onerously long wait. But you will end up with a rather unique ball of fun. :)

If "those in the know" posting in the AK forums are correct, there is boat loads of Izhmash and Molot rifles due to arrive in the next month or so. If this is the case, the prices will drop pretty rapidly, making kit builds even less cost effective.

If you are building from kits simply for the pleasure of doing so, or to make something very unique, like civilian75 said... That is a different matter.

If you can build from kits, adding an underfolder to a conversion is not an issue for you.

I prefer the 7.62X39 AK / AKM rifles, simply because there is so many parts available to choose from and many of those parts are interchangeable.

I am in the process of converting 2 post ban rifles I bought in the mid 90's and one of them is going to get an East German side folder.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top