JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was searching for alignment rods and they are hard to find I guess due to run on suppressors. Also they are $59-$79 each depending on where you buy them. One suppressor shop said their rod diameters are -.002 less than bore size. So if we consider that as "perfect", you can get McMaster carr rods that are pretty close but much cheaper (and they are available). Here are the part numbers for .22/.223, 9mm, .308/7.62 for those interested.
6CF327C0-24E9-4AFE-8DA2-C1DE8111FD7D.jpeg

Last Edited:
Was searching for alignment rods and they are hard to find I guess due to run on suppressors. Also they are $59-$79 each depending on where you buy them. One suppressor shop said their rod diameters are -.002 less than bore size. So if we consider that as "perfect", you can get McMaster carr rods that are pretty close but much cheaper (and they are available). Here are the part numbers for .22, 9mm, .30 8/7.62 for those interested.
View attachment 1858750
Watch the shipping from McMaster, that was a deal breaker on my last order. Almost $100 shipping on a $40 order.

Watch the shipping from McMaster, that was a deal breaker on my last order. Almost $100 shipping on a $40 order.
Thx I forgot to mention that. 3 day shipping was $12.49 so $38 and change for 3 rods shipped. They are 3 feet so could cut them down I suppose.

I wish the 9mm was a little closer to bore size but for that price can't complain too much I guess especially as the one I found elsewhere was $79 plus ship just for 9mm.

Thx I forgot to mention that. 3 day shipping was $12.49 so $38 and change for 3 rods shipped. They are 3 feet so could cut them down I suppose.

I wish the 9mm was a little closer to bore size but for that price can't complain too much I guess especially as the one I found elsewhere was $79 plus ship just for 9mm.
That's pretty good on shipping, my order was some 48" nylon rods, not too much different but WAY more $$$

This seems like a really good alternative.

Thank you for posting!

I will be checking back frequently to see what our "Machinist/Gunsmith" Brethren have to say.

At those prices it's cheap insurance, and with the surge in suppressor proliferation, I'd like to have them available.

Best regards.

WMB

This seems like a really good alternative.

Thank you for posting!

I will be checking back frequently to see what our "Machinist/Gunsmith" Brethren have to say.

At those prices it's cheap insurance, and with the surge in suppressor proliferation, I'd like to have them available.

Best regards.

WMB
I've noticed some of these suppressor parts/accessories cost up to 10x what they should cost (IMO). Case in point this little thread adapter was $110! Should be $6.95 on Amazon. Seems ridiculous price to me.

F73E87CF-802E-4631-A891-902068CA76C5.jpeg
I wasn't going to buy an alignment rod at all due to price and lack of availability but then I bought a tri-lug adapter and don't want to risk using that without at least some type of visual check first (even if it is .005 or .007 under bore size instead of .002).

Preach!

I own a SiCo Hybrid 46. AKA "The money pit".

SiCo products are top notch, and back when wait times were 7+ months, it made sense to me to buy a "Do all" can. But oh my, they are PROUD of their stuff. For what I have invested in caps and mounts, I certainly could have purchased at least another suppressor.

In today's environment I would advise evaluating what you are realistically going to be doing with your suppressor (Hunting/target shooting, pistol cal, high volume MSR....whatever), then buy the ones that best meet your needs.

A person can get by comfortably with a good 30 cal, a good pistol, and a good 22lr can.

Do not misunderstand me, if a person wants more cans for whatever reason, go for it! (And let me try it if we are on the range together 🙂).

In any case, suppressors and their accessories are expensive, and an alignment rod would be cheap insurance (even at $80).

$40 shipped for 3 (if acceptable for use) should be an obvious choice.

Best regards.

WMB

The McMaster Carr precision ground rod's work well as suppressor alignment rods. The biggest issue I have seen is with them arriving with a bow/warp to them. Before you run one down a bore, roll it on a known flat surface like a surface plate, glass plate, etc.... Also make sure you soften the edge on the end as to not damage your bore. I have a .223 alignment rod from Geissele and a McMaster Carr one, they are not the same size. It has been a little bit since I have used both side by side but one works better with 22lr than the other which is great.

Preach!

I own a SiCo Hybrid 46. AKA "The money pit".

SiCo products are top notch, and back when wait times were 7+ months, it made sense to me to buy a "Do all" can. But oh my, they are PROUD of their stuff. For what I have invested in caps and mounts, I certainly could have purchased at least another suppressor.

In today's environment I would advise evaluating what you are realistically going to be doing with your suppressor (Hunting/target shooting, pistol cal, high volume MSR....whatever), then buy the ones that best meet your needs.

A person can get by comfortably with a good 30 cal, a good pistol, and a good 22lr can.

Do not misunderstand me, if a person wants more cans for whatever reason, go for it! (And let me try it if we are on the range together 🙂).

In any case, suppressors and their accessories are expensive, and an alignment rod would be cheap insurance (even at $80).

$40 shipped for 3 (if acceptable for use) should be an obvious choice.

Best regards.

WMB
My advice to folks looking to buy one suppressor to do everything is to look at the cost of muzzle devices and adapters first. A lot of times you can get close to the cost of another can for the price of parts and pieces to adapt a "universal" can not including the additional tax stamp. Plus it gets annoying having to break down the can and swap pieces, especially when away from home because they are dirty, hot and frequently put up a fight if carbon or something else like heating and cooling cycles has tightened them up.

These are worthless. Mcmaster rods despite having a "straightness tolerance" 9/10 will come bent.
That was my experience and many others. Yes, I did order W1 rods.
Also, diameter very much matters too. In my case, I bought their .2120 rod for my 556 rifles and it was a hot dog down a hallway but it's the closest you can get for a "5.56 rod".
At the end of the day, if you want to check concentricity, do it right and buy a proper machined rod for your caliber or find someone who has one to borrow.
You can't possibly tell me you are concerned and care about your suppressor and then go and take an improperly sized generic metal rod to check. Makes ZERO sense and is a waste of time and money.
I can promise you Geissele, huxwrx, accuracy solutions, etc alignment rod manufacturers will tell you "it doesn't matter if you choose us, or some other trusted brand, just buy an actual proper rod, it doesnt have to be ours"

Stop going out of your way to save a few bucks when you can order a rod you know will work perfectly.

Updating this thread. Cleaned the rods and glass table with alcohol to test if bent. .22 and 9mm ones were perfect.

.308 has a deformation or bend at one end. Hardly noticeable and too little to be able to take a pic of even with light behind it. I put that end off the end of the glass and it's clear it's at the end, possibly due to deformation where it was cut. I don't have a .308 can so bought it as extra and since it's 36" long I'll just cut off that end if I ever have need for a .308 rod.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top