JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'll be working through this week making some 220gr Hornady Interlocks to feed the Ruger Ranch that I "stole" from a local member.

I told him when he decides to sell, look my way, and he did.

5.56 in front, .300 in back.
RenderedImage.jpg

I went out today and did some preliminary sighting in with 150gr supersonics and achieved some reasonable results for factory ammo.

The factory rounds with the suppressor shot like this:
IMG_2066.jpeg

Upon removal of the can, I had a nice vertical POI shift.
IMG_2065.jpeg

I plan to mainly run subs through this rifle and it has me interested in it as nothing more than a range toy.

There may or may not have been some shenanigans that happened at the range but everyone was safe and no UN helmets were injured.

(masked the face to protect his dignity)
IMG_2068.jpeg

Anyway, I hope to see how these 220's preform and I hope that I can find a nice barrier skirting powder charge that will give reasonable results. Looking to be 0-150y max distance so I'm thinking I'll sight in at 100y once dialed in.

I will be using (or starting around/at) 10gr of IMR 4227. I have a good supply of that powder so with 10gr I can get a LOT of rounds loaded.
150gr UMC's, 208 A-max and 220gr Interlock:
RenderedImage.jpeg

Very nice. Thanks for sharing!

I did some fun loads when I owned a 300 blk. It truly is a fun reloaders cartridge to test crazy loads. Much like that of 10mm.

I did 220 SMK with 10-11 grains AA1680 to get at or just under supersonic.

I also messed around with 90 grain XTPs trying to get them up to 2500fps. I think I was close to 2300 before I sold the gun and components using 19-20 grains of Lilgun.

Definitely a fun cartridge to play around with various reloads.

I've got a very rare ruger American, a left hand .300 blk , been shooting a lot of sub loads 220 gr sierras with lil-gun seems to be one of the few loads that groups at 100 yards.
vENCYuc.jpg

I had a Ruger American Ranch in 300 BLK that was replaced with a CZ 527 suppressor ready in the same. Enjoy the Ruger, I did mine. I haven't had a chance to shoot the CZ too much yet, but the Subsonic load I developed in the Ruger was between 9-10 grains of 4227 as I recall (don't have my load data handy) with a 220 grain coated lead bullet from Leatherhead in Idaho. Worked well suppressed for knocking down steel silhouettes, lots of fun!

I just loaded up a few other powders (AA 1680, lil gun, and CFE Blk) with the same bullets to try when I get some range time. Also picked up some similar weight jacketed bullets to try, but figured I would start with the more economical coated lead to see if I can find a good inexpensive subsonic plinking load.

Shooting the suppressed BLK bolt at steel is one of my favorites. Click (sounds like a staple gun) then tang when it hits the steel. Always puts a smile on my face!

Hornady 10th Ed. doesn't even have 220gr Interlock for 300-Blackout (checked their errata as well). They do for 308 Win, but not with IMR4227. Curious to see how you fare. Good luck.

Hornady 10th Ed. doesn't even have 220gr Interlock for 300-Blackout (checked their errata as well). They do for 308 Win, but not with IMR4227. Curious to see how you fare. Good luck.
Pulled data from Hodgdon data online.

No interlocks but a 220gr is a 220gr.
I need to find the proper COAL prior to shooting.

BB947ACB-6D36-492F-8390-0CBF7FF67930.png

Accurate 1680 works well for supers or subs for me. for subs i use a 208gr hornady match and a 125gr speer TNT for supers.

if you like imr4227, maybe we could work out a deal? i have 2 full cans and 1 opened can missing a little bit of powder. i switched all my blackout to Accurate 1680 as it cycles my AR 100% reliably with subs.

Accurate 1680 works well for supers or subs for me. for subs i use a 208gr hornady match and a 125gr speer TNT for supers.

if you like imr4227, maybe we could work out a deal? i have 2 full cans and 1 opened can missing a little bit of powder. i switched all my blackout to Accurate 1680 as it cycles my AR 100% reliably with subs.
We will

220 Hornady Amax is my 300 Sub go too. Great groups and quite running through my 5.5" Sig Rattler suppressed, Problem with the 30round mag fed simi-auto is you can end up with a pile of empty brass fast. I have been milling/forming Lake City military brass (13 through 17 headstamps) makes great feeding 300blk.

Dyjital you forming your own brass or loading from factory 300 brass?

IMG_3067.jpg
IMG_3061.jpg

220 Hornady Amax is my 300 Sub go too. Great groups and quite running through my 5.5" Sig Rattler suppressed, Problem with the 30round mag fed simi-auto is you can end up with a pile of empty brass fast. I have been milling/forming Lake City military brass (13 through 17 headstamps) makes great feeding 300blk.

Dyjital you forming your own brass or loading from factory 300 brass?

View attachment 570662
View attachment 570664
Wow!!! :eek:

not mine but trusted source

Rifle: Custom SBR
Barrel Maker: Alpha Shooting Sports
Barrel Length and Twist: 10.5", 1:8, pistol gas
Magazine: USGI 20 round
Bullet: Hornady 220 gr RN Interlock
Powder: IMR 4227
Case: LC
Primer: Wolf SRM
COAL: 2.00"
Chrono:
10.5 gr, AVG 1001, ES 23, SD 11
10.7 gr, AVG 1039, ES 26, SD 14

Notes: No crimp. Perfect feeding, and bolt lock-back.

I bought a Ruger American Ranch in 300BLK to run suppressed. My suppressors are still in process and I have only shot it once at the range.

I need to get a case of subsonic ammo for it, since I don't have the possibility of a reloading bench in my house...
I built an 8.5" Mega Arms 300BLK and am also building a 10.5 inch Mega Arms AR15 as well
20190313-203415cw16.jpg

not mine but trusted source

Rifle: Custom SBR
Barrel Maker: Alpha Shooting Sports
Barrel Length and Twist: 10.5", 1:8, pistol gas
Magazine: USGI 20 round
Bullet: Hornady 220 gr RN Interlock
Powder: IMR 4227
Case: LC
Primer: Wolf SRM
COAL: 2.00"
Chrono:
10.5 gr, AVG 1001, ES 23, SD 11
10.7 gr, AVG 1039, ES 26, SD 14

Notes: No crimp. Perfect feeding, and bolt lock-back.
I am glad you shared this as I was just now debating the length my rounds needed to be.

I did find a 220gr round nose COAL from sierra:
E7B1F137-BA6E-4473-A2CF-82375B38687C.jpeg

So between the 2.000" you list and 2.100" above, I'm in a safe area for length!

Last Edited:
yes safe as far as length
hornady 308 220. Round Nose 1.283
sierra 308 220. Round Nose 1.303
so will be within the ball park on COAL
the hornady having .020 less bullet in the cartrige if seated to sierra COAL

You can get a good idea of max cartridge length without any special tools.

If you take the expander out of your sizing die and size a case this will have a neck opening around .302". Insert a bullet upside down in the case and measure. Use this as a starting COAL to make a dummy round.

If you pull the bolt and insert the now made dummy into the chamber with finger pressure, it should stick because it will be jamming into the lands. Bump the length down a few thousandths at a time until the round drops out of the chamber under it's own weight. Somewhere between the last length it stuck and fell out is max length.

If what you have already made up will do that, great. But if not you will want to shorten them.

hear is a neat link for playing with mix and match bullets and knowing bullet lengths

JBM - Bullet Length List

that way when you mix and match you can be safer in your COAL I.E.
don't load a
speer 308 150. Mag-Tip SP .965 to a COAL meant for
hrn 308 150. Spire Point @ 1.064

Last Edited:
I bought a Ruger American Ranch in 300BLK to run suppressed. My suppressors are still in process and I have only shot it once at the range.

I need to get a case of subsonic ammo for it, since I don't have the possibility of a reloading bench in my house...
I built an 8.5" Mega Arms 300BLK and am also building a 10.5 inch Mega Arms AR15 as well
View attachment 570712

You could buy "the cam4ron" or just make one yourself. Portable reloading bench, set down on any flat surface and reload away. I put more lead weights in mine than they suggested, I didn't find the suggested weight to stabilize the Dillon 550 enough for my liking.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top