JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys and gals. I'm working on getting my AR exactly the way I want it, and part of that is getting a low profile gas block. Unfortunately, for a .625 barrel, it looks like all my options are going to be screw-secured.

So, to keep my gas block from wiggling or twisting and futzing things up, I want to dimple my barrel. I see Rainier Arms has a tool to help with this, but its 40 bucks and I would prefer not to spend that kind of money on something I only use once.

It is for this reason I come to you, friends. Can anyone guide me in the process of doing this myself without screwing things up? Alternatively, can anyone recommend a gunsmith in the Portland/Vancouver area who could do it for me, quick and painless?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edit: in case it matters, I'm looking at the Larue low profile gas block in .625

Last Edited:
Had a problem with a quad rail gas block moving around on a 7.62x39 AR.

I took a center punch and ground 3/8" of the tip down to the diameter of the threaded
hole in the gas blockand used it to reach through and mark the hole positions. Then I drilled the dimples into the barrel. Don't for get to Loc-Tite the screws.;)

Jack :cool:

Hey Madcratebuilder,

Great idea, I would has saved myself a lot of work with those and they're cheap too.:s0155:

Now to find a set of in expensive "Roll Pin Starter Punches"......Fat fingers and Bi-Focals are a PIA ;)

Jack :cool:

This is simular to what I'm looking for but a little different. I have "raw" barrel for m16a1. That already has gas port drilled but it needs a front sight installed and as you guys know m16a1 front sight has tapered pins. So I was wondering if you guys know a person who can drill those.
Thank you for your help!

P.s. I'm willing to ship my barrel with sight if they do a good job!

Ah, that type of dimpling.. Nevermind my previous post then. I was thinking dimpling of the whole barrel, not a single dimple.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top