JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys and gals. I'm working on getting my AR exactly the way I want it, and part of that is getting a low profile gas block. Unfortunately, for a .625 barrel, it looks like all my options are going to be screw-secured.

So, to keep my gas block from wiggling or twisting and futzing things up, I want to dimple my barrel. I see Rainier Arms has a tool to help with this, but its 40 bucks and I would prefer not to spend that kind of money on something I only use once.

It is for this reason I come to you, friends. Can anyone guide me in the process of doing this myself without screwing things up? Alternatively, can anyone recommend a gunsmith in the Portland/Vancouver area who could do it for me, quick and painless?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edit: in case it matters, I'm looking at the Larue low profile gas block in .625

Last Edited:
Had a problem with a quad rail gas block moving around on a 7.62x39 AR.

I took a center punch and ground 3/8" of the tip down to the diameter of the threaded
hole in the gas blockand used it to reach through and mark the hole positions. Then I drilled the dimples into the barrel. Don't for get to Loc-Tite the screws.;)

Jack :cool:

Hey Madcratebuilder,

Great idea, I would has saved myself a lot of work with those and they're cheap too.:s0155:

Now to find a set of in expensive "Roll Pin Starter Punches"......Fat fingers and Bi-Focals are a PIA ;)

Jack :cool:

This is simular to what I'm looking for but a little different. I have "raw" barrel for m16a1. That already has gas port drilled but it needs a front sight installed and as you guys know m16a1 front sight has tapered pins. So I was wondering if you guys know a person who can drill those.
Thank you for your help!

P.s. I'm willing to ship my barrel with sight if they do a good job!

Ah, that type of dimpling.. Nevermind my previous post then. I was thinking dimpling of the whole barrel, not a single dimple.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top