Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Dimpling an AR-15 barrel

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by Kain, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Kain

Kain Vancouver, WA Member

Hey guys and gals. I'm working on getting my AR exactly the way I want it, and part of that is getting a low profile gas block. Unfortunately, for a .625 barrel, it looks like all my options are going to be screw-secured.

So, to keep my gas block from wiggling or twisting and futzing things up, I want to dimple my barrel. I see Rainier Arms has a tool to help with this, but its 40 bucks and I would prefer not to spend that kind of money on something I only use once.

It is for this reason I come to you, friends. Can anyone guide me in the process of doing this myself without screwing things up? Alternatively, can anyone recommend a gunsmith in the Portland/Vancouver area who could do it for me, quick and painless?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edit: in case it matters, I'm looking at the Larue low profile gas block in .625

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  2. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

3. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Had a problem with a quad rail gas block moving around on a 7.62x39 AR.

I took a center punch and ground 3/8" of the tip down to the diameter of the threaded
    hole in the gas blockand used it to reach through and mark the hole positions. Then I drilled the dimples into the barrel. Don't for get to Loc-Tite the screws.;)

Jack :cool:

4. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

Go to Horrible Freight and buy a transfer punch. Align the gas block and mark with the punch, then drill your dimple in a drill press.

28 Piece Transfer Punch Set

5. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Hey Madcratebuilder,

Great idea, I would has saved myself a lot of work with those and they're cheap too.:thumbup:

Now to find a set of in expensive "Roll Pin Starter Punches"......Fat fingers and Bi-Focals are a PIA ;)

Jack :cool:

6. ruSSrt

ruSSrt WA Member

This is simular to what I'm looking for but a little different. I have "raw" barrel for m16a1. That already has gas port drilled but it needs a front sight installed and as you guys know m16a1 front sight has tapered pins. So I was wondering if you guys know a person who can drill those.
    Thank you for your help!

P.s. I'm willing to ship my barrel with sight if they do a good job!

7. Ryo

Ryo WA Member

For dimpling barrels, I would use marvin <nefariousarms@live.com>. He does a lot of custom dimpling jobs.

8. Ryo

Ryo WA Member

BTW how is dimpling suppose to help secure the gas block?

9. wsu 5.9er

wsu 5.9er Spanaway WA Member

You dimple the barrel where the set screws on the gas block contact the barrel. Keeps the gas block from moving around at all.

10. Ryo

Ryo WA Member

Ah, that type of dimpling.. Nevermind my previous post then. I was thinking dimpling of the whole barrel, not a single dimple.